IGNORED

Middlesborough away match thread

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

What “quality” will we lose?

Scott - give you that.

Massengo - three managers have failed to get a tune out of him.

Semenyo - ability is there but he was one of the biggest problems today. Hook him off for Sykes at the break and we might have hung on for 3 points.

Bentley - since we’ve introduced a keeper who travels more than three yards off his line the goals conceded are reducing.

Kalas - not fit for about a year now.

Am I missing anyone and of the above I would say four of them can be replaced more than adequately.

I could be wrong, but aren't Wells, Dasilva, Klose, maybe Williams, King, James all ooc at the end of the season..? 

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What “quality” will we lose?

Scott - give you that.

Massengo - three managers have failed to get a tune out of him.

Semenyo - ability is there but he was one of the biggest problems today. Hook him off for Sykes at the break and we might have hung on for 3 points.

Bentley - since we’ve introduced a keeper who travels more than three yards off his line the goals conceded are reducing.

Kalas - not fit for about a year now.

Am I missing anyone and of the above I would say four of them can be replaced more than adequately.

Stop bullying him now mate,he’s a sensitive soul and someone has got offended on his behalf I guess 

5 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I didn't see today's game. Was Zac let down by Semenyo and Weimann?

A bit of both, although no fault at all of Weimann's.

I saw it as Vyner and Semenyo working poorly together. Semenyo pushed too far forward, and Vyner came too far across. Klose probably should have controlled Vyner's position a bit more, but Vyner has to take some responsibility for his own position as well. However, Semenyo also needs to be aware that Vyner has that wandering tendency and so he needs to support him and needs to fetter his forward thinking game.

Weimann at RWB was much better. Positioned himself much, much deeper than Semenyo, often almost alongside Vyner as a pure RB. That lost is some froward threat, but fixed the defensive weakness. Semenyo at LWB...was poor as well.

After the break we reverted to Semenyo at RWB. That's when they scored.

Edited by ExiledAjax
Just now, ExiledAjax said:

I saw it as Vyner and Semenyo working poorly together. Semenyo pushed too far forward, and Vyner came to far across. Klose probably should have controlled Vyner's position a bit more, but Vyner has to take some responsibility for his own position as well. However, Semenyo also needs to be aware that Vyner has that wandering tendency and so he needs to support him and needs to fetter his forward thinking game.

Weimann at RWB was much better. Positioned himself much, much deeper than Semenyo, often almost alongside Vyner as a pure RB. That lost is some froward threat, but fixed the defensive weakness. Semenyo at LWB...was poor as well.

What Vyner needed was a bit more authority and he should have been in Semenyo’s ear all afternoon. He’s played enough games to have his say but unfortunately he just let the shit show in front of him continue unabated. Had Kalas been there Semenyo would have been well aware of his responsibilities.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1
2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I saw it as Vyner and Semenyo working poorly together. Semenyo pushed too far forward, and Vyner came too far across. Klose probably should have controlled Vyner's position a bit more, but Vyner has to take some responsibility for his own position as well. However, Semenyo also needs to be aware that Vyner has that wandering tendency and so he needs to support him and needs to fetter his forward thinking game.

Nicely put EA.

Scott has previously filled in well at wingback, although you then lose his creativity.

Antoine, unfortunately isn't a WB.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

What Vyner needed was a bit more authority and he should have been in Semenyo’s ear all afternoon. He’s played enough games to have his say but unfortunately he just let the shit show in front of him continue unabated. Had Kalas been there Semenyo would have been well aware of his responsibilities.

Yeh I'll agree with that. Vyner is 25, with 10,000 Championship minutes played. Yes he's got enough experience to know where RCB is, and to know where to tell his RWB to be. Having said that, it's a team game, and that part of the team failed today.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

That’s isn’t my job mate. I just know that, as a manager myself , if I turned out performances and results like this bloke in the industry I worked in,  I’d be gone 

The bloke is an absolute fraud and has had all of us over 

We are creeping towards a full on relagation scrap and we don’t have the fight for it 

City are undoubtedly near the relegation zone, but I don’t accept that the team doesn’t have the fight for it. There are matches, such as Reading, when the performance is awful but in general the effort is there. What’s lacking is that extra bit of quality in certain positions.  The supporters and the management team know that.  What has been lacking is the finance to do anything about it. We live in hope that a few pennies down the back of the sofa will be found in January 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh I'll agree with that. Vyner is 25, with 10,000 Championship minutes played. Yes he's got enough experience to know where RCB is, and to know where to tell his RWB to be. Having said that, it's a team game, and that part of the team failed today.

In my view the sooner Semenyo buggers off to the World Cup the better. Been playing within himself imo. My gut feeling is he’ll come back looking to get that Prem move in the summer and the “output” will increase massively.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Nicely put EA.

Scott has previously filled in well at wingback, although you then lose his creativity.

Antoine, unfortunately isn't a WB.

It's management decisions right. There's a hole at RWB. Whoever you put there, you're losing something somewhere else. What's the balance? Which option overall gives the team the best chance of three points?

For me, with the personnel available today, that's Weimann at RWB. However Pearson might say that if he's back there he doesn't score our goal. Ok, that's his call. 

Good point against a side with their tales up. I still think talk of relegation is a little way off, the performances aren’t bad and the wins will come. 

A couple of things today re-affirmed how decent Boro are as a club after getting in early to applaud the Ashton Gate eight last season, so props to them and their supporters. 

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

The outside centre-backs in a 3 need to work in tandem with their wing-backs.

I didn't see today's game. Was Zac let down by Semenyo and Weimann?

Zac was poor regardless of wingbacks. Many of the positions he found himself in were bewildering. Tinnion referenced the same continually on the commentary, especially in the first half. Often to tight to Klose as shown with their goal. Throw in a lazy backwards pass which Boro jumped on too - Zac seemed off the boil from the start.  Semenyo was poor today across the board both defensively and offensively (has been for some time). We were on the back foot for long periods of the game with the midfield fairly deep. Pring, James, Conway and MOL the real credit takers for us. 

• Like 6
17 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Some of those will re-sign in all likelihood. Out of those who can’t be replaced given the budget we will have?

I  don't know, that's not my job. 

I don't think we will be as strong next season. 

That's my prediction - it's up to those in charge to prove me wrong. 

If they don't, we will be in big trouble next season, even if we can survive this season. 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Some of those will re-sign in all likelihood. Out of those who can’t be replaced given the budget we will have?

Not so sure we will resign some of them. Think everyone dropping off one of the split covid seasons so while it will not be a frenzy imo, think there will be competition for all of those. All on higher wages than we’d want to pay so highest bidder I’d expect and reckon we’d be cautious(understandably). 

I think Wells, Scott, Kalas and Semenyo big losses and hard to replace.

Wells has a few years left of good championship football imo. He often looks our best player for me. His ability to hold it up, draw fouls, drop deep and link and drag defenders around is top tier for this level imo. 

Scott think we all know will be a loss but should get good money for him.

Semenyo not up to it so far this season. Not an excuse for him, but I think WC is on his mind. Hopefully see more of his best after.

Kalas a regular when fit. Can we get better value for money? For sure but letting a sure thing go for an unknown never know how it will turn out. 

It is a massive summer coming up. Why I question if it should be NP to oversee it. I don’t think we are a playoff side but thought enough here to maybe always be a game or two from it most of the season. Points wise still kind of there but it is hard to see it going that way. Thought this would be a happy season in the mix and never really looking like relegation so underwhelmed for me. 

Maybe next season is the true season to judge NP when he has the ability to get 3-4 top targets. However, going into his last season as well. No rush to do anything now but imo going into the last month of the season he either needs to go or be backed with a new deal. As of now I am in the go camp but plenty of season to still be played. It is a rest and recharge for most sides but I am looking forward to how we fair in December. 

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I could be wrong, but aren't Wells, Dasilva, Klose, maybe Williams, King, James all ooc at the end of the season..? 

James & Williams aren’t. I don’t expect we will have to enter a bidding war to get King to sign another deal..

Wells is on money we cannot afford so if someone will offer him a better deal he’ll walk. I expect Klose to retire, he said he was thinking about it last summer, Dasilva is someone who is at the crossroads, for me he isn’t a shoe in to even get another offer.

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

If they don't, we will be in big trouble next season, even if we can survive this season. 

People said this last season.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Not so sure we will resign some of them. Think everyone dropping off one of the split covid seasons so while it will not be a frenzy imo, think there will be competition for all of those. All on higher wages than we’d want to pay so highest bidder I’d expect and reckon we’d be cautious(understandably). 

I think Wells, Scott, Kalas and Semenyo big losses and hard to replace.

Wells has a few years left of good championship football imo. He often looks our best player for me. His ability to hold it up, draw fouls, drop deep and link and drag defenders around is top tier for this level imo. 

Scott think we all know will be a loss but should get good money for him.

Semenyo not up to it so far this season. Not an excuse for him, but I think WC is on his mind. Hopefully see more of his best after.

Kalas a regular when fit. Can we get better value for money? For sure but letting a sure thing go for an unknown never know how it will turn out. 

It is a massive summer coming up. Why I question if it should be NP to oversee it. I don’t think we are a playoff side but thought enough here to maybe always be a game or two from it most of the season. Points wise still kind of there but it is hard to see it going that way. Thought this would be a happy season in the mix and never really looking like relegation so underwhelmed for me. 

Maybe next season is the true season to judge NP when he has the ability to get 3-4 top targets. However, going into his last season as well. No rush to do anything now but imo going into the last month of the season he either needs to go or be backed with a new deal. As of now I am in the go camp but plenty of season to still be played. It is a rest and recharge for most sides but I am looking forward to how we fair in December. 

I think out of contract footballers might be in for a shock on the wages front next summer. All of these multi millionaire and billionaire businessmen who own clubs have plenty on their plate in their “day jobs” for a good 2-3 years.

• Flames 1
6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I certainly thought he was...maybe "conserving" energy today?

Sadly- I suspect you are right. It's his big moment on the world stage and whilst there is part of me that thinks who can blame him for wanting his big moment- there's another that makes me think about a certain striker who didn't want his son to have a Bristol accent. Thank goodness he still has a contract which has value.

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Sadly- I suspect you are right. It's his big moment on the world stage and whilst there is part of me that thinks who can blame him for wanting his big moment- there's another that makes me think about a certain striker who didn't want his son to have a Bristol accent. Thank goodness he still has a contract which has value.

But when he gets back he’s got five months to earn a move to where he wants to be. He won’t be doing that based on recent form and I think that will magically reappear post World Cup……..

5 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I'd imagine he'll be rested for Lincoln, and against Watford who knows.

Don't forget that the Club gets US$9,000 for every day he's at the world cup. It's not just him.

Edited by ExiledAjax
9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

We obviously won’t be as strong next season,we need to bring money in which means players will go,you are just stating the bleeding obvious 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think out of contract footballers might be in for a shock on the wages front next summer. All of these multi millionaire and billionaire businessmen who own clubs have plenty on their plate in their “day jobs” for a good 2-3 years.

I agree but once ffp is safe for teams I think wages will go back up. Not saying same level as before but there will always be teams gambling for promotion. The biggest killer is every championship team can convince themselves they are close. 

We will see who we can resign. I’d really only mind losing Wells I think at this point other than the boys that may get sold. Edit: bad wording I would like to resign Wells if possible. Most other ooc I think we can replace easily enough. 

Dasilva is solid but can get picked on defensively at times and he isn’t aggressive enough for me going forward. Lack of speed and strength hurts him. 

Bentley was a good servant but got Bajic in for a reason. Think Max needs a new deal though? I’d re up max and let bentley walk. 

Kalas has been fine but think maybe a good one to let walk so we can get in a top cb target. 

Massengo was always going to leave. Martin can go. Klose same as Martin. Both just past being good squad players imo. Chuck King into that as well. Probably missing a couple but you are right. With what? Up to 10 leaving I think only 3-4 a big loss. But they will truly leave big holes to fill. 

Edited by JoeAman08