IGNORED

Nathan Jones (now been sacked)

Northern Red

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

He's a bit of a weirdo.

Comes from Merthyr in South Wales. Early career in local Rhondda teams.

Went to Luton aged 20 but no first team games. Supposedly got homesick so instead of going back to South Wales, he signed for Badajoz in western Spain. Quite a nice town(city), I went there several times when lived in Portugal.

Now a manager who really should have been arrested at every match he's at for the foul and disgusting language he spouts for every minute of a match.

Massive Christian, or so he says.

Must have missed that bit in the Bible where Jesus said that you should call everyone you play football against a “see you next Tuesday”.

Hope he’s unemployed for a very long time, the objectionable little rat.

Whatever people think of the way Jones behaves on the touchline or in interviews,3 months is a ridiculously short period of time for a team that was bottom of the league to give a new manager.

We are seeing the promise of a better end of season run and certainly next season’s expectations for giving NP a bit of time-that I guess understandably many on here didn’t want to give him as we were so poor to watch earlier in the campaign.

I think back to the last manager to get us to the promised land-Alan Dicks ,he was on fairly shaky ground for a season or two prior to promotion finishing 4th ?from bottom one year .Fortunately he was given time and we had 4 seasons in the old 1st division.

I guess the pressures on owners in the internet age with so much social media criticism of players ,managers etc cause these very expensive knee jerk reactions.

SL giving managers a decent go (with the occasional exception) is a very positive  character trait imo.

• Like 2

He is absolutely bonkers.

I don’t want to see anyone lose their job however Nathan of Nazareth the potty mouthed one is definitely suited to one club and that is Luton Town.

He was exactly the same when he went to Stoke(bigger club).Their fans got on his back almost from the start and he couldn’t hack it.

Neil Warnock eventually realised he couldn’t manage in the Premier League.It’s the same with players.They play at a certain level and they look fantastic.A step higher and it’s too much.Pukki for Norwich for example - or just Norwich fullstop_ the Yo-Yo club.

I don’t know where nutty Nathan goes from here apart from church tonight and back to Luton soon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Victory Park Reds said:

He is absolutely bonkers.

I don’t want to see anyone lose their job however Nathan of Nazareth the potty mouthed one is definitely suited to one club and that is Luton Town.

He was exactly the same when he went to Stoke(bigger club).Their fans got on his back almost from the start and he couldn’t hack it.

Neil Warnock eventually realised he couldn’t manage in the Premier League.It’s the same with players.They play at a certain level and they look fantastic.A step higher and it’s too much.Pukki for Norwich for example - or just Norwich fullstop_ the Yo-Yo club.

I don’t know where nutty Nathan goes from here apart from church tonight and back to Luton soon.

He’ll probably run a triple marathon tonight, he is after all the fittest human being ever.

34 minutes ago, Redtrojan said:

Whatever people think of the way Jones behaves on the touchline or in interviews,3 months is a ridiculously short period of time for a team that was bottom of the league to give a new manager.

We are seeing the promise of a better end of season run and certainly next season’s expectations for giving NP a bit of time-that I guess understandably many on here didn’t want to give him as we were so poor to watch earlier in the campaign.

I think back to the last manager to get us to the promised land-Alan Dicks ,he was on fairly shaky ground for a season or two prior to promotion finishing 4th ?from bottom one year .Fortunately he was given time and we had 4 seasons in the old 1st division.

I guess the pressures on owners in the internet age with so much social media criticism of players ,managers etc cause these very expensive knee jerk reactions.

SL giving managers a decent go (with the occasional exception) is a very positive  character trait imo.

Premier League excepted as the risks/rewards are far too high but I wonder sometimes if other Championship clubs` owners are looking at what we`re doing at City and thinking `You know, that might just be the way to do it`. The problem of course, is fan pressure and the sense of entitlement some have for instant success. It can`t have gone unnoticed that half of our starting X1 is made up of home-grown players who cost nothing to buy.

I firmly believe we are now (and will be more so in the future) in a far better place as a club because of what we`ve done over the last two years and that makes me happy. I went through 1982 and never, ever want to again.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Must have missed that bit in the Bible where Jesus said that you should call everyone you play football against a “see you next Tuesday”.

He's a sinner; he tried being a Saint but it didn't go very well.

• Flames 1

23 hours ago, Shelton’s Love Gravy said:

He should never have left Luton......

.....as he did twice.

Strikes me it's a bit like  GJ with us ( and Yeovil to be fair) when with some managers they are the right man, for the right club at the right time.

With Southampton he was plainly the wrong manager, at the wrong club and the wrong time.

Edited by downendcity
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, downendcity said:

.....as he did twice.

Strikes me it's a bit like  GJ with us ( and Yeovil to be fair) when with some managers they are the right man, for the right club at the right time.

With Southampton he was plainly the wrong manager, at the wrong club and the wrong time.

IMO it shows that Luton have a good set up, and the quality of the first team manager/coach has less impact on the team/club performance than other factors. His successor is being just as successful and they only had a smll blip after the change. 

23 hours ago, GrahamC said:

The Rev Jack House who would have taught quite a few on here, wasn't adverse to using many a fruity word if you got on the wrong side of him. I am not sure it's unchristian as many would think.

27 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The Rev Jack House who would have taught quite a few on here, wasn't adverse to using many a fruity word if you got on the wrong side of him. I am not sure it's unchristian as many would think.

Does he say *** repeatedly, then?

I think there is a monumental difference between swearing as a Christian & it being pretty much all that you say.

Jones on the touchline was like a Roy Chubby Brown gig.

Edited by GrahamC

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Do he say *** repeatedly, then?

I think there is a monumental difference between swearing as a Christian & it being pretty much all that you say.

Jones on the touchline was like a Roy Chubby Brown gig.

He was is no longer with us, but I have heard him utter the C word (and I don't mean Christian) and I am pretty sure I wasn't the only one in his lifetime.

I'm a little bit biased here but wonder why NP's name isn't even in discussion for a couple of these vacancies at the bottom.

Does his PPG in the PL stand up to scrutiny? Yes. Bottom third to lower midtable. Is his style flexible? Yes- his 4-3-3 is evolving with the times a bit. That and 3-4-3 is the modern way to go. In the past He was more 4-4-2 and 3-5-2.

Strong man management without doubt, has experience of the level too.

Long may he stay here and continue his good work but some of these sides down the bottom 3rd of the PL who are changing managers could do worse.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm a little bit biased here but wonder why NP's name isn't even in discussion for a couple of these vacancies at the bottom.

Does his PPG in the PL stand up to scrutiny? Yes. Bottom third to lower midtable. Is his style flexible? Yes- his 4-3-3 is evolving with the times a bit. That and 3-4-3 is the modern way to go. In the past He was more 4-4-2 and 3-5-2.

Long may he stay here and continue his good work but some of these sides down the bottom 3rd of the PL who are changing managers could do worse.

I bet the fans would prefer Pearson over Marsch.

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Time will tell…but he’s the kind of right bloke for a club like Southampton.

Agreed

30 minutes ago, Super said:

I don't get why they would appoint somebody who has just failed at Leeds.

Because Leeds was clearly not the right sort of club for him. He had enormous shoes to fill given how popular Bielsa was, and is more of a ‘project’ manager. I have no doubt were he given time, he’d have done well at Leeds.

They’re a massive club and fans wanted a faster improvement than he was able to offer. Their stats were pretty good and improving. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think his stock has fallen in recent years. He’s probably viewed as one of the old school managers who is past his best and wouldn’t be a trendy appointment for a club with such a focus on stats like Southampton are.

We can see the visible improvements he’s made here, but most wouldn’t consider the wider context and simply look at our league performance under him.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I wonder if it is simply that he is known not to be interested. He's nearly 60, spent plenty of time in chaotic short-term roles and has proved himself enough that he seems relaxed about his reputation. It could plausibly be that a long-term project in the Championship appeals a lot more than another spell at a Premier League club who are much more short-termist about firing managers when things aren't working out. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think his stock has fallen in recent years. He’s probably viewed as one of the old school managers who is past his best and wouldn’t be a trendy appointment for a club with such a focus on stats like Southampton are.

We can see the visible improvements he’s made here, but most wouldn’t consider the wider context and simply look at our league performance under him.

That's fair lthough at Watford in 2019-20 his record also stood up to scrutiny. That's even discounting Leicester.

He inherited a mess and was harshly sacked. Granted they may have dropped even had he stayed but 7 wins and 25 pts overall from 20 games having been their 3rd manager of the season and not many wins at all to that point.

Their last two games were v Man City at home and Arsenal away so a very difficult task to complete but you never know- he earned the right for that opportunity IMO...behind closed doors at that point due to Covid.

Have a tendency to agree on Marsch in many ways, their results seemed to be outstripped by their performances for sure.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous