IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

I like England to play high tempo, front foot football and in all honesty I can’t remember the last I saw England do that. Southgate’s way too cautious - England will qualify from the group with two 0-0 draws and a 1-0 win………I can hardly wait……….….:sleeping: …………….…..:disapointed2se:

You must have missed the 2-0 and 4-0 wins against Germany and Ukraine respectively in the Euros. 

Just out of interest, did you count Capello as a 'proper' manager? He won several league titles + a European cup, but had England playing some of the most rubbish football I've ever seen. Southgate on the other hand got us to a semi-final and a final. No matter what you think of the football, I was pretty happy to see us competing at the latter end of a tournament for once

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

You must have missed the 2-0 and 4-0 wins against Germany and Ukraine respectively in the Euros. 

Just out of interest, did you count Capello as a 'proper' manager? He won several league titles + a European cup, but had England playing some of the most rubbish football I've ever seen. Southgate on the other hand got us to a semi-final and a final. No matter what you think of the football, I was pretty happy to see us competing at the latter end of a tournament for once

At any professional level I like to see exciting and high tempo football and under Southgate the performances have been ultra cautious - anyone remember the dreary 0-0 bore draw against Scotland? Jeez…………..:sleeping:

I’ll watch England of course, I’m Englishman after all, who else am I going to follow?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

At any professional level I like to see exciting and high tempo football and under Southgate the performances have been ultra cautious - anyone remember the dreary 0-0 bore draw against Scotland? Jeez…………..:sleeping:

I’ll watch England of course, I’m Englishman after all, who else am I going to follow?

You only have to look at the Italians or Germans to see that being cautious wins you international tournaments.

I think as a nation we need to focus on actually winning things and continually getting to the semis and finals of tournaments as opposed  to just playing ‘exciting’ football.

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 4

Bristol Rovers

• Haha 1

In your case it's anyone's guess, after all you're a City fan who followed the Gas to Wembley  ?

Not sure your Gashead mates would ask you to drive the minibus again though  !!

Clifton - Latest News, Headlines and Entertainment from the BBC

• Admin
1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

25 championship players have gone to the World Cup. Why have games been postponed?!

Out of interest do you have a breakdown per club of players out there?

It's not just players that follow the teams, clubs would be losing supporters that are out there following sides in the tournament

The other issue, clubs have been crying out for a winter break so they also get that this season, before it is included going forward from next season onwards

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Out of interest do you have a breakdown per club of players out there?

It's not just players that follow the teams, clubs would be losing supporters that are out there following sides in the tournament

Wales accounts for 9 of them, plus 3 from L1 + L2.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12741242/sky-bet-efl-players-at-the-world-cup-who-is-heading-to-qatar

It really is silly that the Champ is stopping.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

25 championship players have gone to the World Cup. Why have games been postponed?!

I read that and if true that isn’t a good enough reason to cancel the domestic schedules.

We would have lost AS and I presume some clubs will lose more than one, and some clubs none at all.

We shouldn’t even be going to this World Cup, Is the Italian league also postponed?

This is bound to cause cash flow problems for clubs.

3 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

I read that and if true that isn’t a good enough reason to cancel the domestic schedules.

We would have lost AS and I presume some clubs will lose more than one, and some clubs none at all.

We shouldn’t even be going to this World Cup, Is the Italian league also postponed?

Yes. They are back on 4th Jan i think.

Edited by Super

If I've read the Sky article properly then I make it two teams with three players out there, six with two, and six with one player. So in total 14 of the 24 teams have at least one player at the WC. Realistically very few of the nations taking players from the Championship are going to get past the Last 16 I would say, and it's quite possible that none will get out of the group stage.

Reading - Hoilett (Can), Rahman (Gha), Loum (Sen)

Swansea - Ntcham (Cam), Cabango (Wal), Allen (Wal)

Birmingham - Bielik (Pol), Mejbri (Tun)

Cardiff - Colwill (Wal), Harris (Wal)

Sunderland - Wright (Aus), Bennette (C. Rica)

QPR - Chair (Mor), Dieng (Sen)

Sheff Utd - Ndiaye (Sen), Davies (Wal)

Luton - Horvath (USA), Lockyer (Wal)

Middlesbrough - McGree (Aus)

Norwich - Sargent (USA)

Stoke - Soutar (Aus)

Huddersfield - Thomas (Wal)

Bristol City - Semenyo (Gha)

Burnley - Roberts (Wal)

Watford - (Sarr) (Sen)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

If I've read the Sky article properly then I make it two teams with three players out there, six with two, and six with one player. So in total 14 of the 24 teams have at least one player at the WC. Realistically very few of the nations taking players from the Championship are going to get past the Last 16 I would say, and it's quite possible that none will get out of the group stage.

Reading - Hoilett (Can), Rahman (Gha), Loum (Sen)

Swansea - Ntcham (Cam), Cabango (Wal), Allen (Wal)

Birmingham - Bielik (Pol), Mejbri (Tun)

Cardiff - Colwill (Wal), Harris (Wal)

Sunderland - Wright (Aus), Bennette (C. Rica)

QPR - Chair (Mor), Dieng (Sen)

Sheff Utd - Ndiaye (Sen), Davies (Wal)

Luton - Horvath (USA), Lockyer (Wal)

Middlesbrough - McGree (Aus)

Norwich - Sargent (USA)

Stoke - Soutar (Aus)

Huddersfield - Thomas (Wal)

Bristol City - Semenyo (Gha)

Burnley - Roberts (Wal)

Watford - (Sarr) (Sen)

I’ve put those on loan in bold.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Mizzymead Bowls Club

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

All major leagues around the World are being suspended 

https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/soccer/news/leagues-world-cup-2022-schedule-premier-league-la-liga-serie-a-ligue-1/dryqyalwdjryz31jhpx7n494

But as I mentioned above it isn't just the players missing, there are numerous backroom staff that have multiple roles around the world and the most important factor is that supporters are able to go and watch their countries too without impacting attendances around the World

The Winter break is coming into our schedule from next season so it is something we are all going to have to get used to 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

All major leagues around the World are being suspended 

https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/soccer/news/leagues-world-cup-2022-schedule-premier-league-la-liga-serie-a-ligue-1/dryqyalwdjryz31jhpx7n494

But as I mentioned above it isn't just the players missing, there are numerous backroom staff that have multiple roles around the world and the most important factor is that supporters are able to go and watch their countries too without impacting attendances around the World

The Winter break is coming into our schedule from next season so it is something we are all going to have to get used to 

The break is for just seven days, and only the Prem?

This World Cup should not be taking place at this time of year (too much disruption for the vast majority of football nations) and in a country that should never have been awarded it, heaven knows how ordinary supports can afford to go either.

This IS football related....because as far as i am concerned booze and football go together like Tommy and Nakhi?   Just reading a blog from some guys who are already in Queerta, at the Fanzone they are paying £12.50 for a pint.  Yet another black mark  against the worst country ever to  bribe its way in (So sorry, i meant chosen)  to stage the worlds greatest sporting contest?