IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

13 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

All Ecuador today aren't we? Partly as I'd love to see Qatar get battered and all that Aspire Academy bullshit go up in flames, but also because Ecuador have a couple of the nicest kits at the tournament.

They need to soundly thrash the Qatar team, it will be seen as a metaphor for the tournament itself. FIFA need to be shown that you can't just "impose" football on a nation, it needs to grow organically.

I think the referee will be a busy man though, the players representing Qatar (as opposed to Qatari players) will be desperate to show commitment to the cause.

It will also be a test for the validity of FIFA's own world rankings, which currently has Qatar above teams such as Ghana, Iceland, Finland, Northern Ireland and a few others that would be better known.

Screenshot_20221120-084746.jpg

Edited by Port Said Red

8 hours ago, pillred said:

Frances Karim Benzema is out of the world cup with a thigh injury sustained in training, that's a real blow to their chances.

Meanwhile, Qatar have announced a late addition to their squad, Al-Benzema, who for medical reasons is allowed to play wearing sunglasses and a fake moustache.

• Haha 10

40 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

They need to soundly thrash the Qatar team, it will be seen as a metaphor for the tournament itself. FIFA need to be shown that you can't just "impose" football on a nation, it needs to grow organically.

I think the referee will be a busy man though, the players representing Qatar (as opposed to Qatari players) will be desperate to show commitment to the cause.

It will also be a test for the validity of FIFA's own world rankings, which currently has Qatar above teams such as Ghana, Iceland, Finland, Northern Ireland and a few others that would be better known.

Screenshot_20221120-084746.jpg

Qatar are the Asian champions aren't they? Beneficiaries of 12 years of some of the best coaching and most widespread scouting money can buy, all fine-tuned through a national League and national development centre that has the improvement of the national team as its sole objective.

That whole system has been focused on one thing - avoiding embarrassment today. It would be beautiful if they failed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

So much apathy about this WC. No one seems that bothered.

I disagree, everyone I know personally is as interested in it as usual, just weird time of year for it.

Our works given everyone an extended lunch tomorrow if they want it, with the game shown on a projector in a meeting room.

5 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Qatar are the Asian champions aren't they? Beneficiaries of 12 years of some of the best coaching and most widespread scouting money can buy, all fine-tuned through a national League and national development centre that has the improvement of the national team as its sole objective.

That whole system has been focused on one thing - avoiding embarrassment today. It would be beautiful if they failed.

yep hope they get stuffed

• Like 1

On 15/11/2022 at 22:57, Slacker said:

A few shouts for Messi.An awesome player but am I right in saying he has never really achieved at international level?

Got Argentina to a WC Final, won the last Copa America. Scored 91 International goals ( so far ) mostly against South American sides which are much stronger than the European cannon fodder teams!.

He has carried the Argentinian side for years, getting them through qualifying on his own at times, finally it looks like they have a decent side to back him up now.

Still probably the best player on the planet ( after 20 years at the very top), not too bad I would say!.

Edited by Portland Bill
  • Like 2