IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

Ghana Vs Swiss friendly , Semenyo netting to make it 2-0.

I found a feed from Ghana TV (I think) which may put an end to shall I watch it or not. The feed from source keeps cutting out and they jump from studio to studio to fill in. Sometimes English , sometimes not. But if this is a sign of the live feed from the WC, it will be intermittent at best.
I'm guessing things will be sorted for proper games though.

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

There's a lot to beat Qatar with, but I don't think cost of food/drink is specifically one.

It's an expensive country, as is somewhere like Norway or Iceland.

While i appreciate that Blatter and his cohorts have cupboards full of brown envelopes stuffed with wonga.........why choose a country, this is despite all the myriad of other drawbacks, that is so expensive for the average person...........By the way, when is the World Cup scheduled for Iceland or Norway?,..........Sorry but your response makes no sense to me?? ?

54 minutes ago, maxjak said:

While i appreciate that Blatter and his cohorts have cupboards full of brown envelopes stuffed with wonga.........why choose a country, this is despite all the myriad of other drawbacks, that is so expensive for the average person...........By the way, when is the World Cup scheduled for Iceland or Norway?,..........Sorry but your response makes no sense to me?? ?

My point is cost of a pint is hardly the biggest reason to knock Qatar. There’s plenty of expensive countries in the world.

The next WC is in USA, rate the pounds going those prices might not be far off over there ?

Anyway, a mate out in Qatar has said you can easily get a pint for less than that and alcohol is more widely available then you’d think. He said he’s had a few days spending £20 or less if you don’t drink.

When has any football or other sporting tournament thought about the cost to the average fan? Euro final tickets were upto £1k face value, in London.

8 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

My point is cost of a pint is hardly the biggest reason to knock Qatar. There’s plenty of expensive countries in the world.

The next WC is in USA, rate the pounds going those prices might not be far off over there ?

Anyway, a mate out in Qatar has said you can easily get a pint for less than that and alcohol is more widely available then you’d think. He said he’s had a few days spending £20 or less if you don’t drink.

When has any football or other sporting tournament thought about the cost to the average fan? Euro final tickets were upto £1k face value, in London.

That is my whole point....as naive as it may seem?   It SHOULD be catering for the average fan?    If you were a member of the England supporters club you would not have to pay anywhere near a grand for a ticket...............it was only overpaid numpty's that were forking out that?  I am not knocking Queerta, with regard   to their expensive economy?....I am knocking FIFA, for their corrupt and selfish stupidity.  ?

19 hours ago, maxjak said:

That is my whole point....as naive as it may seem?   It SHOULD be catering for the average fan?    If you were a member of the England supporters club you would not have to pay anywhere near a grand for a ticket...............it was only overpaid numpty's that were forking out that?  I am not knocking Queerta, with regard   to their expensive economy?....I am knocking FIFA, for their corrupt and selfish stupidity.  ?

Ah I see, yes ideally I absolutely agree

I am a member now (or will be for the next tournament) I didn't really think about it back then

Just been having a look at the stadiums. 
I knew the area was quite small but it’s mad!

There are 8 stadiums. If you consider the centre of Doha being the centre of Bristol, it’s the same as playing the games in Ashton, Horfield, Hengrove, Warmley, Keynsham, Shirehampton, Backwell & Yate. 

Utter madness. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Harry said:

There are 8 stadiums. If you consider the centre of Doha being the centre of Bristol, it’s the same as playing the games in Ashton, Horfield, Hengrove, Warmley, Keynsham, Shirehampton, Backwell & Yate. 

Utter madness. 

Great if you’re a ground hopper…and surely better (from memory) than England fans having to travel obscene distances between group matches in Russia and Brazil.

Disagree with all the other shit going on, but a centralised WC seems fine to me.  If you’re concerned about trouble, the threat of Qatar law would be enough to make me behave.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Utter madness. 

Saw something online about one guy who's going to try and go to every single game, which has apparently never been done before.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Saw something online about one guy who's going to try and go to every single game, which has apparently never been done before.

Yeah saw that too. Would certainly be possible. As long as he leaves at half time in the final group games which kick off at the same time. 

• Like 2

It's a shame the WC is where it is and when it is. Think football wise the last two were quite decent tbh and this one could or should be.

Bellingham, Rice, Foden CM 3? Kane and perm 2 further forward? Could be one way to go. Don't think we will win it but strong contenders.

England aside, again some interesting  bits.

Argentina and Portugal- the swansong of Messi and Ronaldo. The former on a long unbeaten run and temperatures, the latter aren't just Ronaldo plus 10- rather a strong and talented side.

Indeed temperatures probably will be against a lot of European sides in this case- could that yield some shock results? Did in 2002...though some of the officiating was suspect at best.

European Dark horses? Could be a few.

Denmark have been strong for a while now. Eriksen is back after his heart issues in the last Euros. Quite free scoring at times too, a decent side.

Croatia have been in transition for a couple of years but look like they are on the rise again. Modric's final major tournament? He'll certainly be looking to go out on a  high.

Serbia? Topped a qualifying group with Portugal qualifying with a win out there, always think they underperform at major tournaments considering that when they qualify it's often quite strongly and have fairly talented or technically sound players. Topped the Nations League group too ahead of Haaland, Odegaard etc with Norway.

Switzerland? Topped group with Italy, quite good at last Euros. Could surprise some.

Senegal I believe underachieve. To name 3, Mendy, Koulibaly, Mane. Conditions could suit.

Mexico the pressing game under Martino although in the heat that could count against them. Underachieve arguably.

Uruguay have a reputation for being quite pragmatic but Nunez and the aging but still dangerous Suarez, Cavani up front, players like Valverde, Bentancur, Torreira in CM- you'd think could go at it a bit.

Canada's first WC in years. Some quite good players too ie Davies at Bayern, David at Lille to name 2.

The obvious contenders like France, Brazil, us, maybe Belgium maybe not. Holland under Van Gaal again should be better than recent years.

Is it Lewandowski's last tournament? Hes certainly 30+...Think Poland have an okay side on paper so them plus him as the star in theory, wonder if he can take them past the Group stage for the first time in a generation.

Yes it could be a good WC, the great shame is the time of year and location.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Great if you’re a ground hopper…and surely better (from memory)

Ronaldo: "Everything is possible in football. Why not? ... For sure. They will sell a lot of shirts." ???m

than England fans having to travel obscene distances between group matches in Russia and Brazil.

Disagree with all the other shit going on, but a centralised WC seems fine to me.  If you’re concerned about trouble, the threat of Qatar law would be enough to make me behave.

After seeing such a small country hosting the WC, Vatican City has thrown it's mitre into the ring, by  bidding for the 2034 WC.

Fans will be able to travel between stadiums by hiring bicycles.   Red wine will be available  to fans inside stadiums, with a side of bread . Rule changes will give referees  additional punishments, prior to issuing a yellow or red card. For the first infringement he can award 5 Hail Marys, and before booking or sending off he can send an offending player to the confessional for 10 minutes.

it's not all good news though, as contraceptives sales are banned, so whereas fans are usually the ones completely ****ed by FIFA's choice of country they won't be this time!

• Confused 1

One more thought/observation.

Will this being approaching mid-season help or hinder the quality, intensity etc?

Because often England and not only England but a number of European sides will have gone there with a lot of their players having gone deep in the League in a title race, domestic cups, European competition etc.

Will going mid-season improve this a  bit?

6 hours ago, pillred said:

Frances Karim Benzema is out of the world cup with a thigh injury sustained in training, that's a real blow to their chances.

Even before this I had Denmark winning that group. Now I think that's absolutely a possibility. France to get through in second and then out to Argentina in the last 16.

16 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

Vive la France!

Allez les Bleus!

There's a chance a French player may get a winners medal even if France don't make the final??

No photo description available.

I would have never have guessed that there were so many countries with less home grown players than Qatar. That's a real eye opener, thank you.

• Like 1