IGNORED

Two more years for Nahki

tin

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Probably a case of Nahki being the type of personality Pearson wants around the group, evidenced by last season being out of the first team wanting to play 21’s to prove himself rather than grumbling about not being in the team and being a positive influence and role model for younger members of the squad 

Yep. In that video with Scott and Conway that they put out last week, Tommy mentioned how much he'd learnt from Nahki, not just playing together in the U21/3s but from spending most of last season on the bench with him and how professional he was about not playing when he could have sulked and kicked up a stink about it.

• Like 4

Great news for us.

Not many better we could bring in with the cost restraints we are currently under if we did not renew.

Model professional, suffered for joining us when we were a shambles but has never shirked or sulked even when unfairly (in my opinion) scapegoated for our abysmal performances.

Great partnership with TC which is exciting to watch continue develop over the next two years.

Almost certain that Semenyo is gone I would imagine now.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yep. In that video with Scott and Conway that they put out last week, Tommy mentioned how much he'd learnt from Nahki, not just playing together in the U21/3s but from spending most of last season on the bench with him and how professional he was about not playing when he could have sulked and kicked up a stink about it.

We need to put  Nahki on the bench with Semenyo ! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The knock on piece is the interesting angle here.

On the basis that we’re unlikely to sell Weimann or Conway, and in view of the contract situation, it now seems nailed on that an acceptable bid sees Semenyo gone. Wells and Conway are first choice up top and with Scott and Andi able to play behind, Antoine seems surplus considering what we’d lose in not selling him now.

It also shows we’re looking to sort the OOC we want to keep, and which are financially viable. If no news on Bentley, Massengo etc we can also expect them gone - not surprising but just crystallises things.

As for NW - totally richly deserved. To change perceptions the way he has through hard work, lack of ego and no little quality is a great story

RE your second paragraph, I think it shows we're starting to make decisions but not necessarily that all decisions have been made. I think you may be right on Bentley and Massengo but I'd not be surprised if decisions our still being made on Dasilva and Kalas based on various factors and we might find out either way on both of those much closer to the end of the season. O'Leary, Vyner and Martin all have options so I imagine there is less of a rush to nail anything down either way with those three either.

• Like 1

Just now, Tinmans Love Child said:

Wow I never expected that!  Just goes to show that you never know how players really feel, I've always thought he never wanted to be here but what do I know!

I think there was a point in time where that was probably true, but 2022 has been a turning point for sure. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

RE your second paragraph, I think it shows we're starting to make decisions but not necessarily that all decisions have been made. I think you may be right on Bentley and Massengo but I'd not be surprised if decisions our still being made on Dasilva and Kalas based on various factors and we might find out either way on both of those much closer to the end of the season. O'Leary, Vyner and Martin all have options so I imagine there is less of a rush to nail anything down either way with those three either.

Yeah I think I’m assuming Bentley and Massengo are gone. Options will be taken on Vyner and O’Leary (and FWIW Semenyo) but not on Martin.

I can see DaSilva being extended (contract not height although he needs that) - he’s not playing in a position where people pay a premium so reduced terms in line with the market is affordable.

Kalas I have no earthly clue. If he’s fit I’d want to keep him - normally there’s no chance but the injuries have obliterated his wage value in the market so I think he may still be affordable at a drastically reduced level.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The knock on piece is the interesting angle here.

On the basis that we’re unlikely to sell Weimann or Conway, and in view of the contract situation, it now seems nailed on that an acceptable bid sees Semenyo gone. Wells and Conway are first choice up top and with Scott and Andi able to play behind, Antoine seems surplus considering what we’d lose in not selling him now.

It also shows we’re looking to sort the OOC we want to keep, and which are financially viable. If no news on Bentley, Massengo etc we can also expect them gone - not surprising but just crystallises things.

As for NW - totally richly deserved. To change perceptions the way he has through hard work, lack of ego and no little quality is a great story

As usual I totally agree.

Just to add someone I trust told me that Nakhi was absolutely brilliant with the first year pros, especially the forwards, always looking to pass on tips & hugely supportive.

I must confess I saw his demeanour as poor body language at the start but I was wrong, firstly he genuinely wants to play, secondly he’s really popular in the dressing room with the players & seen as a bit of a spokesman if they need to raise anything with NP.

• Like 7

He deserves it, has knuckled down when out of the side and delivered when in it. Seems to have worked well wirh Conway.

It will save a bit on amortisation and presumably a wage reduction.

Otoh he is 32- will be 33 next season and 34 in 2024-25 if still here- at what point will his effectiveness start to wane? Not a reflection on him, happens to all players.