IGNORED

Two more years for Nahki

tin

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He deserves it, has knuckled down when out of the side and delivered when in it. Seems to have worked well wirh Conway.

It will save a bit on amortisation and presumably a wage reduction.

Otoh he is 32- will be 33 next season and 34 in 2024-25 if still here- at what point will his effectiveness start to wane? Not a reflection on him, happens to all players.

Was going to post something similar - given his age I feel slightly uneasy about this. He’s undoubtedly worth a contract on this season’s form, but in2 years time? There’s no point offering a contract extension which costs a similar amount over the longer term, if the player isn’t able to cut it in the future. But on balance I guess it’s a good deal overall

• Like 1

Just now, steveybadger said:

Was going to post something similar - given his age I feel slightly uneasy about this. He’s undoubtedly worth a contract on this season’s form, but in2 years time? There’s no point offering a contract extension which costs a similar amount over the longer term, if the player isn’t able to cut it in the future. But on balance I guess it’s a good deal overall

I get what you mean but, at the same time, his game is based on instinct and positional awareness rather than pace and physicality. As long as he maintains his basic fitness levels, he's not going to have the same drop-off between 32 and 34 as a player who relies on pace and relentless energy. Plus it sounds like he's a good role model/mentor for younger players so I can see the rationale for thinking he'll still be able to contribute for the next two and a half years.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah I think I’m assuming Bentley and Massengo are gone. Options will be taken on Vyner and O’Leary (and FWIW Semenyo) but not on Martin.

I can see DaSilva being extended (contract not height although he needs that) - he’s not playing in a position where people pay a premium so reduced terms in line with the market is affordable.

Kalas I have no earthly clue. If he’s fit I’d want to keep him - normally there’s no chance but the injuries have obliterated his wage value in the market so I think he may still be affordable at a drastically reduced level.

I think that's all a fair assessment. Dasilva is a tricky one - I get the impression he's not quite what Pearson wants in a full-back but, if he is willing to take a wage cut to reflect the current market, he might represent better value than anyone else we can find out there.

I have no idea what I want us to do regarding Kalas. There is no doubt that, on reduced terms and fully fit, he's an asset but I think a lot will have to come down to whether the coaches and physios feel we can get him fit and playing regularly. 

Quite amusing reading these posts.

2022 - Nahki Wells - Model professional with perfect attitude when out of the team in 2021.

2021 - Nahki Wells - Terrible body language, should make his own way to matches as is endangering others by (apparently) choosing not be be vaccinated. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 3

20 minutes ago, bbew said:

Quite amusing reading these posts.

2022 - Nahki Wells - Model professional with perfect attitude when out of the team in 2021.

2021 - Nahki Wells - Terrible body language, should make his own way to matches as is endangering others by (apparently) choosing not be be vaccinated. 

I think it demonstrates that - for all the falling out we get on here when we are losing - the vast majority of us are open-minded enough to change our opinion when the facts change. In Wells' first couple of years here, he didn't seem to be gelling with the team. He's worked hard and completely turned it around and people have changed their views accordingly. 

My own view on Wells changed in the win at QPR at the beginning of last season. He came on and - quite aside from his last minute goal - showed an utterly phenomenal level of workrate and commitment. Opportunities remained limited last season but all the evidence suggests he stayed positive and helped younger players who others might see as rivals and not want to assist. And then this season he's taken his chance and been phenomenal. 

• Like 4

Excellent news IMO. We`re now seeing the Nahki we thought we`d signed way back when because he`s being played in the correct position and consistently. I can`t think of anyone better to help Tommy continue his development for another two years. As others have also said, who else could we have afforded and tempted here?

When we sell Tommy for £20m in two years we will have a lot to thank him for.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Good news. I’d imagine we’re losing Semenyo in the summer, should he not want to renew. Martin will be off and whilst I see Bell has potential. He probably needs to be loaned out for the season. So just leaves us with Conway and Weimann, so Wells signing is much needed considering we probably wouldn’t be able to bring in someone as good as him. Just need to get a few others tied down and a few sold. Hopefully if we can manage to survive we’ll have the backbone of a half decent team. Just don’t trust the manager to sign the right ones. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On FB, seen it suggested was 20 pct lower, Exiled Robin suggested 30 pct too.

Still a decent wedge if the supposed original contract he was on was £20 k a week as rumoured.

Could be a case of Nahki wanting to stay and also realising at his age and without really setting the world a light over the past few season (fair play he has been much improved of late) then he and his agent both probably realise he wouldn’t have had much better offers elsewhere so staying put is the best option for him financially even on reduced terms.

Either way I’m happy with the news, as others have said to replace him with somebody better wouldn’t be realistic with our current financial constraints. It’s a good move by the club for sure.

Edited by Bris Red

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Just guess work though isn’t it. Nobody knows 

Correct.

As he was said to be one of our highest two paid players (which is logical as we bought him from a club in the Prem) I think we can safely assume though that it is a significant reduction, as no way would we be paying the sums he was previously on to anyone now.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I get what you mean but, at the same time, his game is based on instinct and positional awareness rather than pace and physicality. As long as he maintains his basic fitness levels, he's not going to have the same drop-off between 32 and 34 as a player who relies on pace and relentless energy. Plus it sounds like he's a good role model/mentor for younger players so I can see the rationale for thinking he'll still be able to contribute for the next two and a half years.

Yep that’s fair.