IGNORED

Two more years for Nahki

tin

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He deserves it, has knuckled down when out of the side and delivered when in it. Seems to have worked well wirh Conway.

It will save a bit on amortisation and presumably a wage reduction.

Otoh he is 32- will be 33 next season and 34 in 2024-25 if still here- at what point will his effectiveness start to wane? Not a reflection on him, happens to all players.

In no way comparing but Messi is pushing 36 now and I think we can all agree he did alright some players are basically finished at 33 and others seem to go on for ages another player Jamie Vardy can't say I've seen him slowing down either. 

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Good video, apart from the white socks! Nahki’s form this season, and the new contract begs the question, why wasn’t he getting regular starts last season? 

Because he fell out with the stubborn manager who wanted him vaccinated! 

1 hour ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

I love Nakhi but bloody wish he wasn’t anti vac #moveToPolitics

Why? 

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I am sure @Mr Popodopolous, or @Davefevs can give us some idea how this fits into the FFP regarding amortisation etc. 

in simple terms:

Amortisation - had £800k left on his deal at start of season, so doing simple maths, halfway through he’s now used up £400k and is now valued at £400k.  Instead if that all being in this season, only £80k will be this season and £160k each of the remaining 2 years.  For this year’s FFP we’ve saved £320k and pushed that into 23/24 and 24/25.

Wages - Richard Gould said players (across clubs not City) were taking on average of a 1/3 pay cut (@And Its Smith).  Weimann too, a 50% paycut allegedly, Baker more than 50% (but with performance clauses).  As for Nahki I reckon his £1.200m p.a. alleged wages have been cut in half.  Let’s not forget half of that has been burned / earned already - £600k, so cutting his wages to £600k p.a. Means he’s forgone £300k this season, for £1.200m over the next 2 years.  I suspect the 2 years was significant.  Like Martin who was offered 1+1 at Derby, preferred the security of 2 years.  So I reckon we’ve saved £300k this year.

So, a total saving of around £600k.  Enough to get a loan player in, or a free transfer and wages.  “Trading” in a different way.

Congrats to Nahki.

*** All numbers are educated guesses / ball-park

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

The knock on piece is the interesting angle here.

On the basis that we’re unlikely to sell Weimann or Conway, and in view of the contract situation, it now seems nailed on that an acceptable bid sees Semenyo gone. Wells and Conway are first choice up top and with Scott and Andi able to play behind, Antoine seems surplus considering what we’d lose in not selling him now.

It also shows we’re looking to sort the OOC we want to keep, and which are financially viable. If no news on Bentley, Massengo etc we can also expect them gone - not surprising but just crystallises things.

As for NW - totally richly deserved. To change perceptions the way he has through hard work, lack of ego and no little quality is a great story

I see it more in terms of Chris Martin going, ie one too many “experienced” forwards.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He deserves it, has knuckled down when out of the side and delivered when in it. Seems to have worked well wirh Conway.

It will save a bit on amortisation and presumably a wage reduction.

Otoh he is 32- will be 33 next season and 34 in 2024-25 if still here- at what point will his effectiveness start to wane? Not a reflection on him, happens to all players.

But always available, still quick / quick enough.  It’s a “cheap” way of obtaining a 12-15 goals per season player without too much risk.

4 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Was going to post something similar - given his age I feel slightly uneasy about this. He’s undoubtedly worth a contract on this season’s form, but in2 years time? There’s no point offering a contract extension which costs a similar amount over the longer term, if the player isn’t able to cut it in the future. But on balance I guess it’s a good deal overall

As per reply to Mr P he shows no signs of regressing, and I think there’s a real continuity “thing” in this, especially with Conway and the likelihood Antoine will move in the summer if not January.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On FB, seen it suggested was 20 pct lower, Exiled Robin suggested 30 pct too.

I don’t think we could afford £18-20k per week!  I’m sure he will have taken a big paycut!

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

He could probably squeeze £2k per week more elsewhere if he and his agent really gave it a go but if he’s happy in the area, family is settled, been sensible with the money he has earned and is enjoying his football it’s an obvious decision to make at this stage of his career.

Yep, mentioned on an interview a month or so back, that his wife / partner and two boys were settled here.  It was at that point I thought he’d be hanging around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, bbew said:

Quite amusing reading these posts.

2022 - Nahki Wells - Model professional with perfect attitude when out of the team in 2021.

2021 - Nahki Wells - Terrible body language, should make his own way to matches as is endangering others by (apparently) choosing not be be vaccinated. 

Wouldn't it be stranger if people didn't change their opinions when things/situations change? I think you're mischaracterising peoples opinions as ridiculously extreme.

When someone has an opinion and sticks with it in the face of all evidence or new info that's weird to me.

I was absolutely wrong regarding Wells and I'm pleased to admit that. He's been great this season and I'm delighted he's resigned, but I'd happily have seen the back of him last year.

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Why? 

Well he was publicly posting absolutely ridiculous lies about the jabs so that's most likely it, as you well know.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

Well he was publicly posting absolutely ridiculous lies about the jabs so that's most likely it, as you well know.

Quite a lot of people were publicly posting lies about the jabs. And most of them were in government!! 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

12 hours ago, M.D said:

12 months ago I wanted him off the wage bill, proved wrong and happy he's signed a new deal on what we expect to be a reduced salary..

ditto for me, the cynic in me though does wonder if he was playing for this contract......doubtfull I know.......time will tell....comes across now as a nice guy.

2 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Well if/when city sign one of them that's probably a good time to bring that up, but this thread is about Nahki Wells so I'm not sure how that's relevant!

And I’m not sure how relevant Nahki’s thoughts on medical interventions is to what people think about him as a footballer. Seemed rather odd to me that anyone would mention it in the first place. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harry said:

And I’m not sure how relevant Nahki’s thoughts on medical interventions is to what people think about him as a footballer. Seemed rather odd to me that anyone would mention it in the first place. 

Well people form opinions on footballers based on them as people as well, not just them on the pitch - I suspect there are a few players who have got up to things outside of the game that you wouldn't want us to sign because of that. Look at the debate around us signing Danny Simpson for example.

Why would this be any different? It's just because you have a personal issue with it, which is fine.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

49 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Well people form opinions on footballers based on them as people as well, not just them on the pitch - I suspect there are a few players who have got up to things outside of the game that you wouldn't want us to sign because of that. Look at the debate around us signing Danny Simpson for example.

Why would this be any different? It's just because you have a personal issue with it, which is fine.

I don’t think we ought to be equating smacking your Mrs about to not wanting a vaccination. Poor effort Nick. 

22 hours ago, Harry said:

Because he fell out with the stubborn manager who wanted him vaccinated! 

Why? 

I don't agree with spreading information that has no credibility behind it, and is often completely made up, especially when you're in a position of power & have children idolising you.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

I don't agree with spreading information that has no credibility behind it, and is often completely made up, especially when you're in a position of power & have children idolising you.

Should tell the government then. They lied about pretty much everything about the vaccine. 
As for the children, whose children were making their own decisions on vaccines, based on the social media posts of a 2nd division footballer? Most odd. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Harry said:

Should tell the government then. They lied about pretty much everything about the vaccine. 
As for the children, whose children were making their own decisions on vaccines, based on the social media posts of a 2nd division footballer? Most odd. 

The government has no relevance here, I despise the large majority of people in government, I really don't understand your point? It just makes me believe that this has turned in to a wider political debate for you rather than discussing Nakhis influence.

It isn't as black and white as "I was going to get vaccinated now Nakhi Wells says it's bad I won't" but I think you know that anyway. I won't argue if NW is an influential figure or not, I think he is.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius

11 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

The government has no relevance here, I despise the large majority of people in government, I really don't understand your point? It just makes me believe that this has turned in to a wider political debate for you rather than discussing Nakhis influence.

It isn't as black and white as "I was going to get vaccinated now Nakhi Wells says it's bad I won't" but I think you know that anyway. I won't argue if NW is an influential figure or not, I think he is.

The point is, his thoughts on medical procedures have nothing to do with his football persona. 
You said “I love nahki as a footballer but wish he wasn’t anti vax” which basically means you are casting aspersions on his character and not judging him solely as a footballer. 
And I disagree with you for doing so. I don’t believe his thoughts on medication bare any relevance whatsoever to how I view him as a footballer. But you clearly have a doubt about his character as a result. 

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

The point is, his thoughts on medical procedures have nothing to do with his football persona. 
You said “I love nahki as a footballer but wish he wasn’t anti vax” which basically means you are casting aspersions on his character and not judging him solely as a footballer. 
And I disagree with you for doing so. I don’t believe his thoughts on medication bare any relevance whatsoever to how I view him as a footballer. But you clearly have a doubt about his character as a result. 

No I never said that, I said "I love Nakhi Wells but bloody wish he wasn't anti vac"

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Well you fell for a lot of the social media nonsense - I agree with you that kids are probably a bit more discerning, but maybe some of the less able ones fell for the same sort of stuff? ;)

I kid. Have a good Christmas mate.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Well you fell for a lot of the social media nonsense - I agree with you that kids are probably a bit more discerning, but maybe some of the less able ones fell for the same sort of stuff? ;)

I kid. Have a good Christmas mate.

Have a good Christmas too Nick. I’m sure we can recommence battle in the new year ?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Wasn’t Djokovic as well ? I don’t know much about their reasoning but I think elite athletes had a right to question the effect of taking it. 

Porr example there tbh.  

Djokovic made himself look a right arrogant, devious dick with the way he conducted himself there.  That’s doing NW a serious disservice putting the two into the same category.

• Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Wasn’t Djokovic as well ? I don’t know much about their reasoning but I think elite athletes had a right to question the effect of taking it. 

Im not sure if Djokovic was sharing memes clearly created by mad cults but if so I’d feel the same, sharing posts from @pharmacyblack is one example 

83E9ECBC-A81E-486E-9475-72185C1758F9.png

8065AEE1-A0EE-4334-9A76-68BEEB377241.jpeg

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Like 1