IGNORED

Time Since Last Bristol City Penalty

JackiDziekanowski

On 10/01/2023 at 16:00, And Its Smith said:

I think it’s because referees have thought our penalty claims aren’t penalties.  

I think we don't get penalties for 4 reasons

a) you can wrestle to your hearts content in the box and the most a ref will do is blow his whistle before the kick is taken and warn the 2 players involved

b) most pens come from a player beating his man and driving into the box. We have few players who can actually run at and beat a man so we don't often cause that sort of panic.

c) a lot of pens come from handballs caused by deflected shots. We have few players with the confidence to back themselves and have a crack at goal prefering to pass the buck or seek a tap in.

d) at some grounds the ref gets intimidated or influenced by the home fans. That has not happened at the gate for some time.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I think we don't get penalties for 4 reasons

a) you can wrestle to your hearts content in the box and the most a ref will do is blow his whistle before the kick is taken and warn the 2 players involved

b) most pens come from a player beating his man and driving into the box. We have few players who can actually run at and beat a man so we don't often cause that sort of panic.

c) a lot of pens come from handballs caused by deflected shots. We have few players with the confidence to back themselves and have a crack at goal prefering to pass the buck or seek a tap in.

d) at some grounds the ref gets intimidated or influenced by the home fans. That has not happened at the gate for some time.

I agree with some of this, point d) especially. We do seem less visceral than we once were as a crowd, although maybe that also reflects general trends too.

The analysis of penalties awarded by reasons is interesting but chopped down or boot to the head (Wells v Watford the latter), penalties are penalties and when you look at the Ince one v us last season or Man City's 2nd on Sunday if that's the benchmark or Hull's vs us...well.

I think our penalty drought is karma for the absurd one we were given in the last minute of the QPR game in February 2019.

BTW has anyone worked out how many we've had given against us in the same period we are complaining about? 

Most clubs' supporters know who their team's penalty taker is. I have no idea (if Chris Martin isn't on the field). Wells? Naismith? Antoine? Billy Wedlock?

Edited by firstdivision

18 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

I think our penalty drought is karma for the absurd one we were given in the last minute of the QPR game in February 2019.

BTW has anyone worked out how many we've had given against us in the same period we are complaining about? 

Most clubs' supporters know who their team's penalty taker is. I have no idea (if Chris Martin isn't on the field). Wells? Naismith? Antoine? Billy Wedlock?

Well Pisano had a goal incorrectly disallowed in that same game so?

I was keeping track for s while :) but it depends on the timeframe is it...

A) Since our last League penalty.

B) Penalty record in all competitions since then.

C) The two years, 2 months or so in which we have received:

1) 1 in the League or

2) 1 in the League and 1 in the FA Cup.

There are many ways to measure it.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Okay let's see.

1) Penalties against- in the period we received 0? 9. All in the League and inclusive of Coventry away in the same game.

2) Penalties against in all competitions since our last- also 9.

3) Since November 2020 ie from start of that month- 16 in the League.

4) Inclusive of Cup games 2? 2 for and 17 against.

0-9, 0-9, 1-16 and 2-17.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, firstdivision said:

Think the current penalty taker is still Tomlin!:whistle2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Okay let's see.

1) Penalties against- in the period we received 0? 9. All in the League and inclusive of Coventry away in the same game.

0-9, 0-9, 1-16 and 2-17.

Wow! Three for City and THIRTY THREE AGAINST! ( Have I got the numbers correct?)

I know some will cast scorn on me but I seriously wonder how many clubs are back-handing referees and or linesmen.

I know that most home fans will argue that any penalty against their club in home games is extremely dubious but we've had so many against us at home. Many of these I thought were dubious to say the least. It has seemed clear that too many away players who fall in our box gains a penalty. Yet the same at the other end is not given.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Wow! Three for City and THIRTY THREE AGAINST! ( Have I got the numbers correct?)

I know some will cast scorn on me but I seriously wonder how many clubs are back-handing referees and or linesmen.

I know that most home fans will argue that any penalty against their club in home games is extremely dubious but we've had so many against us at home. Many of these I thought were dubious to say the least. It has seemed clear that too many away players who fall in our box gains a penalty. Yet the same at the other end is not given.

I'll rephrase it a bit, possible there was double counting.

It depends how we measure it.

League only- Coventry away to present

0-9 from Coventry away in November 2021. 0 for, 9 against including 1 to Coventry 2nd half. Same for the Cup games in that period.

From 1st November 2020 to present- League only

We have been awarded 1 in the League and 16 against.

Same time period including the Cup games

Been awarded the 1 in the League, 1 in the Cup but 16 against in the League and 1 against in the Cup.

Net total 2 for, 17 against. In all competitions, 1 for but 16 against in the League.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'll rephrase it a bit, possible there was double counting.

It depends how we measure it.

League only- Coventry away to present

0-9 from Coventry away in November 2021. 0 for, 9 against including 1 to Coventry 2nd half. Same for the Cup games in that period.

From 1st November 2020 to present- League only

We habe been aawarded 1 in the League and 16 against.

Same time period including the Cup games

Been awarded the 1 in the League, 1 in the Cup but 16 against in the League and 1 against in the Cup.

Net total 2 for, 17 against.

Thanks Mr P. Not as bad as my mistaken numbers but two for and seventeen against is still a significant difference over a 2 to 3 year/season period.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Okay let's see.

0-9, 0-9, 1-16 and 2-17.

Stats that speak loudly. Much more than unbalanced, much more than a simple anomaly...

Edited by Dan Robin

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Finally Chiles is on the case. Finally a mind truly capable of cracking this mystery wide open. Thank god.

image.png.f0fff2bff90bb8af7f8c43fb928769d2.png

Correct - it's not rocket science is it? :whistle2:

I agree its remarkable but surely no one thinks it's a conspiracy. We are a complete nobody,  even more so in the period in question, mid table obscurity with light flirting of the play offs and relegation.

It's a frustrating situation but at worse perhaps we arent getting the benefit of any doubt because people like scott and wells dont stay on their feet. Scott in particular had a period where he was always looking for a foul. 

• Hmmm 1

I won't go into conspiracy theories but plenty of players fall down easy and penalties follow.

Tom Ince anyone? Am sure others can name a few players who do this- perhaps some of ours may go down easily, Scott can be good at winning free kicks but some of these shouts were absolutely blatant.

2 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

That is extraordinary. Who was that against?!

Luton late December 2019.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FForbes said:

The subject was raised and discussed for several minutes on Adrian Chiles program on Radio 5 this morning. A City fan was on as well as someone quoting some statistics.

Here's the guy from WhoScored talking about it, City fan suppose that'll be on catchup too on the programme.

He did make an interesting point though which was that our attacks through the middle are the lowest in the division.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

Didn’t go myself, just some mutterings on Twitter about a definite one on Wells plus another one  “probable” without details. I really think we could see out the season without one and barely a whisper will be heard from the football media, PGMOL, or FA.

The record was 70 odd games with Port Vale iirc.

We are on 63 in all competitions I think. (All competitive games anyway).

• Thanks 1