IGNORED

Time Since Last Bristol City Penalty

JackiDziekanowski

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Yep that's exactly the reply we'll get.

But that's the thing if/when we get that response, with a video of all the worst decisions we can then ask why referees thought those decisions weren't penalties, because its got past the point of a few bad calls.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Super said:

Completely pointless. Obvious what the reply will be if we actually get one.

I wonder why we don't show them on club highlights that often. Not only should each penalty shout that is at least reasonable be on there, there should be a replay or 2 from different angles.

We have video evidence of each wrong call against us, a few were bound to be incorrect calls.

I also think that we should get right on officials backs from early in games often, really get into them as fans (verbally). Case by case obvs.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

38 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Adds a bit of pressure I guess.

I would love to see a super cut of all the penalty claims we’ve had in the last few years. 

Referees are obviously not against Bristol City, but it is strange to see such bad luck go on for this amount of time. Hopefully it changes soon

Obviously not?!? Not so obvious, considering the scandals around football, some of which have involved referees.

Anyway, I'm glad that something is finally moving.  Every true supporter should be behind the club for this issue.

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Robin 1

41 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Adds a bit of pressure I guess.

I would love to see a super cut of all the penalty claims we’ve had in the last few years. 

Referees are obviously not against Bristol City, but it is strange to see such bad luck go on for this amount of time. Hopefully it changes soon

I would love to see a montage of no penalty decisions over the last few years I would personally send it to the EFL The head of referees and FA! It’s absurd what we have had not given. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Obviously not?!? Not so obvious, considering the scandals around football, some of which have involved referees.

Anyway, I'm glad that something is finally moving.  Every true supporter should be behind the club for this issue.

Why would they take issue with us though? I can’t see it being purposefully done. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

It’s a statistical anomaly 

I suppose that's part of the issue - it's gone beyond that now.

In the same way that rolling a 6 on a dice 3 times in a row is an anomaly, whereas rolling a 6 on a dice 30 times in a row is actively suspicious.

9 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

But that's the thing if/when we get that response, with a video of all the worst decisions we can then ask why referees thought those decisions weren't penalties, because its got past the point of a few bad calls.

And yes, would be great if we could get a compilation of all the claims across the last few years. There are quite a few absolutely blatant ones in there, proving that the "clearly you just don't get near the box enough" idea is complete bollocks.

16 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

FINALLY

About time this club stood up for itself

Agreed. I certainly don't think it would have taken other clubs/managers quite so long to be a bit more active and vocal about it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Red from afar said:

Nigel Pearson: Bristol City manager 'bemused' by lack of penalties awarded - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64212682

Seems they're becoming aware.

It’s not a great article, is it? No context: how unusual is 428 days, what’s the average, how long we’d waited even before the last one, just how extreme an anomoly we are. 

It just comes across a bit like another manager having a moan after another poor result on a lengthy bad run. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Super said:

Masterstoke if we get 3 pens on Saturday!

Knowing our luck we'll miss the bloody lot :laugh: The anticipation will be like getting with that hot bird you've been chasing for months, then blowing your load in your underpants.

• Haha 6

19 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Thats sums up how stupid football fans are. Reading multiple comments of "You have you have to get the ball in the box" Well yes thats where we are being fouled without getting a penalty you dumbasses.

Obviously Rovers and the odd Swindon fan it's a given but neutrals like Chelsea, Derby, WBA, fair enough why would they see much of us but some of the Tweets from non rival clubs are laughable.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, 22A said:

Fifty years ago Geoff Merrick told the EP the reason fro Coty not getting many penalties as that we don't attack enough, especially in away games.

Let's look at some comparables shall we.

Reading have 6 in the League this season. I wasn't aware that they were a great and free flowing attacking side posing a range of threats! Was anyone else?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Why would they take issue with us though? I can’t see it being purposefully done. 

Some of us discussed it here recently: the more realistic reason would be betting, not necessarily involving only City.  I don't have data about all EFL clubs, but let's suppose that at least 2-3 other Championship/L1/L2 teams are getting strange refereeings (ex: 1 team never get red cards in their favour, another one have far more penalties than others, etc.): you can bet for every little aspect of a football game, and for a referee it is not so difficult to control/direct main episodes, especially without VAR. 

My other theory was even worse (more dirty), but probably less realistic in the English Football scenario: the EFL wanting to harm some clubs to favour others. It could be a simple case of corruption, or maybe the aim could be having a more "glamour" Championship, that could virtually mean more money from TV, sponsors, etc.  Maybe Bristol City and the clubs Y and Z are seen as less "profitable" than the likes of - examples - Sunderland (bigger despite having being in L1), Birmingham, Huddersfield (recently in the Premier League) and talking about L1, the likes of Wednesday, Derby, etc.   

That being said, I was not convinced by this second theory for 2 reasons:

1) recent points deductions to other clubs, some of which could be considered "big" on paper;

2) if the EFL and co. wanted to damage us, they could firstly hit us on the financial front, given our problems.

This maintains the focus on referees. And here we have two options:                        

A) our club did something in the past that hugely irritated referees, and almost all of them hate us and consiquently punish us (unrealistic) ;  

B) they do what they do (denying us almost every favourable call, mainly penalties) because of a personal advantage (more realistic, right?).

Unfortunately my experience of Italian football and other bad sports stories read in the past have made me more aware of how money and personal interests can influence sports - mainly football - in many ways.  Others may laugh and think that it is pure fantasy, but in many cases suspects prove to be right, partially if not totally.

Obviously I'd be really happy to be proven wrong and to see normal refereeings back for Bristol City, but I just can't see any standard reason behind the referees behaviour towards us seen in the last seasons.

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, David Brent said:

The only problem now is that when we finally get awarded a penalty, opposing managers will suggest that refs have been pushed into making the decision

And refs may feel less inclined to give us a penalty to avoid such suggestion

There’s nothing we can do about it

Let's get a bit into them then.

Let's really get on the backs of officials if this carries on, really make it horrible for them in most cases.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Let's get a bit into them then.

Let's really get on the backs of officials if this carries on, really make it horrible for them in most cases.

I’d rather we respect the refs and the job they do. If they need help then give them it.

I refuse to believe there is a conspiracy against us, despite what the stats look like. 

I think the real problem is the dishonesty of players and refs falling for it. There are too many penalties given elsewhere. I’m sure we used to go a season without a penalty before.

Just now, David Brent said:

I’d rather we respect the refs and the job they do. If they need help then give them it.

I refuse to believe there is a conspiracy against us, despite what the stats look like. 

I think the real problem is the dishonesty of players and refs falling for it. There are too many penalties given elsewhere. I’m sure we used to go a season without a penalty before.

There is some truth to that, anger talking but the record is beyond belief all told. At home the last penalty was during Covid season, October 31 2020, last one with fans I think was December 29th 2019. Yeah maybe VAR though I hate to say it as I don't much care for it tbh.

Would be interesting to know? Reading have had 6 this season in the League, that Championship chart in August made for incredible reading and thst was August- Bcfc Pezza iirc.