IGNORED

Phil Alexander

The Journalist

31 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

So if I've got this right, he's twice sold Palace to people who didn't have enough money to keep the club going, resulting in Palace twice going into administration? 

Interesting appointment then,  given our current owner is looking to sell up and will presumably rely on our new CEO to find a suitable buyer. 

I do not think for a second that he has "find a suitable buyer" on his to do list. 

I doubt it was even discussed at any such lengths. 

He has been brought in to do a job and that is to use his vast experience to turn this club around. 

I've been very critical of the Lansdowns of late but I'm more than happy with this appointment was expecting internal appointment or someone not so experienced. I've noticed he has worked with American owners and has connections in some way so maybe this will lead to something time will tell with regards to investment or owners.

13 minutes ago, Gol said:

Bit unfair IMO when he sold the club to Goldberg he had just banked £200 million from the sale of his company dont think they expected him to blow it in 2 years! His story is insane! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Goldberg_(football_manager)

the creditors of the first administration chose Jordan as his offer was the best to recover the losses so not his fault.

Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Street red said:

Does make you wonder that he has that American connection.

He would a) Have to sell to someone with the money and b) Just selling or  desire to sell isn't enough, any buyer would have to satisfy varied EFL criteria pertaining to rules etc.

Not like it was 10 years ago, say the new owner had items that were risky to the future of the club in the business plan  or wanted to spend to get up fast and ignore FFP in the process.

The League would not approve such a transaction, without revision to said plan. Not only does a new owner have to show proof and sufficiency of funding for the next two seasons but they have to show and demonstrate how their Business Plan for a club will abide by all applicable regulations.

I find it interesting how easily @Kid in the Riot seems to talk about a potential takeover when there are hoops to jump through and criteria to satisfy. Hull's took 2.5-3 months to complete for example.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He would a) Have to sell to someone with the money and b) Just selling or  desire to sell isn't enough, any buyer would have to satisfy varied EFL criteria pertaining to rules etc.

Not like it was 10 years ago, say the new owner had items that were risky to the future of the club in the business plan  or wanted to spend to get up fast and ignore FFP in the process.

The League would not approve such a transaction, without revision to said plan. Not only does a new owner have to show proof and sufficiency of funding for the next two seasons but they have to show and demonstrate how their Business Plan for a club will abide by all applicable regulations.

I find it interesting how easily @Kid in the Riot seems to talk about a potential takeover when there are hoops to jump through and criteria to satisfy. Hull's took 2.5-3 months to complete for example.

Tbf Mr Pop I don’t think 2.5-3 months to buy a football club is any great deal of time.  It takes longer for a domestic house sale to go through a lot of the time! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Tbf Mr Pop I don’t think 2.5-3 months to buy a football club is any great deal of time.  It takes longer for a domestic house sale to go through a lot of the time! 

That's fair Lenred. Certainly more regulation surrounding it now than a decade ago by a long way. Yes these transactions are complex and will likely take time but it's just worth stressing and reiterating that varied criteria exist, hoops to jump through, it's no bad thing but just the act of buying and selling doesn't translate to approval, a new era to spend etc. I appreciate that a lot of people likely already know this tbh.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

3 months is indeed pretty quick for a business sale of £50-100m. Not crazy quick, but 5-6months would be more likely.

Ultimately though how fast it would proceed would be down to the risk attitude of the purchaser and how much Lansdown is willing to give in terms of warranties and indemnities. Feeding into that is how many financial or contractual skeletons are in our closet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

3 months is indeed pretty quick for a business sale of £50-100m. Not crazy quick, but 5-6months would be more likely.

Ultimately though how fast it would proceed would be down to the risk attitude of the purchaser and how much Lansdown is willing to give in terms of warranties and indemnities. Feeding into that is how many financial or contractual skeletons are in our closet.

That and whether any bid complies with all applicable EFL regs too.

If a new owner was over ambitious in his two year figure info- not just FFP but revenue, cash flow, solvency etc predictions that would create a problem.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If a new owner was over ambitious in his two year figure info- not just FFP but revenue, cash flow, solvency etc predictions that would create a problem.

Cynically. I don't think that would hold a deal up. The EFL could be chivvied along.

10 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just as a devils advocate thought. 

As well as consultancy at Palace, he’s been a consultant at Wycombe since start of the season - leaves on Jan 20th.

If we did jettison Nige at one point soon, has Gareth Ainsworth just gone up in the betting?

I live just down the road from Wycombe. I’d love Ainsworth here, but can’t see it. The club is built in Ainsworth’s image, he can do anything he wants and is the absolute main man. Can’t see him giving it up for anything, really, think he’ll be there until he wants to pack it all in and retire.

37 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Coventry have appeared to have run into problems. 

A few weeks ago their takeover approval was described by Robins as imminent. Even the same day, or the next. However approval didn't come. 

Apparently EFL asked for extra info such and POF and that's not been provided yet.

I believe Gillinghams takeover was announced 2 weeks after Covs yet has since been approved despite it being quite messy cos it involved the stadium or something.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Cynically. I don't think that would hold a deal up. The EFL could be chivvied along.

Perhaps, although a prospective new owner would have to agree that they won't breach FFP in the next two years say- they also have to agree that the League can set such conditions that they require in order to maintain compliance with all applicable regs.

In layman's terms they could drop an embargo if a new owner deviaged vastly from plans say. Regulation 16.20 or any other conditions to ensure compliance that they deem appropriate.

36 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Coventry have appeared to have run into problems. 

A few weeks ago their takeover approval was described by Robins as imminent. Even the same day, or the next. However approval didn't come. 

Apparently EFL asked for extra info such and POF and that's not been provided yet.

I believe Gillinghams takeover was announced 2 weeks after Covs yet has since been approved despite it being quite messy cos it involved the stadium or something.  

They do indeed. The stadium is a factor that will add to the complexity but the League won't approve it without being satisfied.

See also Charlton- different case but their ESI takeover went through unapproved and there was a full embargo- rules have only tightened since then.

Something I've just recalled is that Palace have been very active in getting crypto and token tech into football. All done whilst Alexander was CEO.

I've no idea if he was personally involved with them signing up to Sorare or with the Palace Socios/Chiliz fan token venture. However, what I will say, from a standpoint of working with this industry for 3 years, is that I want him to keep Bristol City as far away from companies like Sorare and Socios as possible.

I'd watch out for this.

• Flames 1