IGNORED

Phil Alexander

The Journalist

19 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

That atmosphere is largely down to the fans (ultras) themselves. But Phil Alexander (and Steve Parish) always encouraged it, had an open dialogue with the group and helped it to flourish.

He won't personally be able to create an impoved atmosphere at AG (which we badly need), but he has shown a willingness in the past to work with those who can.

He might, mate,  if he goes full "Tony Harling" from the word go. It's what I'd look for in a CEO, 

• Haha 3

This is EXACTLY the appointment we needed. This could turn out to be one of our greatest ever signings. 

I was worried we were going to make an internal appointment. 

This guy seems like a proper football person with his vast wealth of experience. We've needed this kind of experience for a very long time. Even though Gould did a great job to steady the ship, he lacked that experience. 

We now have a manager with Premier league experience and now a CEO with Premier league experience. 

I don't for one second believe things will change overnight. I think there will be a bit of a culture shock just like there has been with Pearson. But this is what we need to move forward as a club. If we want to be a Premier league club, we need to operate like one. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lenred said:

I guess the only question is would he ever leave Wycombe?  If he would then   I wouldn’t be averse to him at all when the time comes that NP leaves.   

Barton absolutely hates both him, and Wycombe ( that interview JB gave to Radio Bristol after the game on Sat still makes me laugh ? )

I don't think we could have hired anybody better in terms of experience in the role. As Palace fans note, it's quite an achievement for him to have worked under so many different owners there. Suggests he must have something about him. 

Interesting that he was at Palace when the Americans took control in 2015 and has most recently been at Wycombe (also American owned) so will have connections/experience with dealing with wealthy sports club owners from that part of the world...

Hopefully from his most recent role, he got to find out how much Wycombe want for Anis Mehmeti! 

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, sunningdalered said:

My first thought on seeing this announcement was that it looks like the sort of appointment that someone who might want to put the club through a sales process in the not too distant future would make. Lots of experience and commercial acumen, important attributes to running a successful sale. 

Worth noting of course that it is one thing selling a club but there are certain criteria that a prospective new owner must comply with for approval.

Do they have the money that they claim they do, will their Business Plan find favour with the EFL etc. SL could sell it tomorrow on paper but until such time as the Governing body are satisfied with all aspects.

It can take months. Months.

Cannot transfer the Golden Share or whatever it is until such time as EFL satisfied- different  now.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I don't think we could have hired anybody better in terms of experience in the role. As Palace fans note, it's quite an achievement for him to have worked under so many different owners there. Suggests he must have something about him. 

Interesting that he was at Palace when the Americans took control in 2015 and has most recently been at Wycombe (also American owned) so will have connections/experience with dealing with wealthy sports club owners from that part of the world...

Hopefully from his most recent role, he got to find out how much Wycombe want for Anis Mehmeti! 

Isn’t the Wycombe owner the same bloke who tried to buy Yeovil?

When will newly appointed coaches, administrators, etc and newly signed players, cease to believe the hype pedalled by the owner that we are a premier league club in waiting.

A sense of reality would not come amiss from all.  Should we not be European champions by now according to LJ.

Just hope comments along these lines by new CEO. were just to ingratiate himself with SL, rather than his professional assessment of where we are and what we are

Edited by Ivorguy
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

When will newly appointed coaches, administrators, etc and newly signed players, cease to believe the hype pedalled by the owner that we are a premier league club in waiting.

A sense of reality would not come amiss from all.  Should we not be European champions by now according to LJ.

Just hope comments along these lines by new CEO. were just to ingratiate himself with SL, rather than his professional assessment of where we are and what we are

What he actually said was the infrastructure at the club is ready for the Premier League. Which is a slightly different sentence than the one you have said. I also don't think it is wrong - there are and have been clubs in the Premier League with worse stadiums, training grounds and academy set-ups than we have. Obviously the major thing is that we are a long way away from being a Premier League club on the pitch but he didn't actually say anything that implied anything along those lines. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

As @LondonBristolian has quite rightly pointed out the new CEO literally said we have a Premier League infrastructure at the football club - that is a fact that cannot be denied.

On the pitch we are absolutely miles away (at this moment in time) from being a Premier League club but the stadium and training facilities are without question fit for the top flight.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bris Red said:

As @LondonBristolian has quite rightly pointed out the new CEO literally said we have a Premier League infrastructure at the football club - that is a fact that cannot be denied.

On the pitch we are absolutely miles away (at this moment in time) from being a Premier League club but the stadium and training facilities are without question fit for the top flight.

He never lets the facts get in the way of negative spin !

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

A lot of my mums family are palace fans. He came in when the owner Ron Noades was looking to sell up (probably why his sales and marketing experience appealed!) sold the club (but kept the ground) to a bloke (Mark Goldberg) who bankrupted himself trying to fund it hence the first administration. Simon Jordan (yeah the one from talksport) agreed a deal with the creditors took over and run it until 2008 when he wanted out and looked to sell. He was rumoured to have had financial troubles himself and basically told the club to be self sufficient. The club went into admin again in 2010 and was brought by a consortium of palace fans who apart from seeling a stake to a rich yank still control the club.

The mos relevent words you’ll hear are from steve parish their chairman and one of the fans who brought them out in 2010, I’m really impressed with this appointment. 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/former-crystal-palace-ceo-lands-bristol-city-role/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, Gol said:

A lot of my mums family are palace fans. He came in when the owner Ron Noades was looking to sell up (probably why his sales and marketing experience appealed!) sold the club (but kept the ground) to a bloke (Mark Goldberg) who bankrupted himself trying to fund it hence the first administration. Simon Jordan (yeah the one from talksport) agreed a deal with the creditors took over and run it until 2008 when he wanted out and looked to sell. He was rumoured to have had financial troubles himself and basically told the club to be self sufficient. The club went into admin again in 2010 and was brought by a consortium of palace fans who apart from seeling a stake to a rich yank still control the club.

The mos relevent words you’ll hear are from steve parish their chairman and one of the fans who brought them out in 2010, I’m really impressed with this appointment. 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/former-crystal-palace-ceo-lands-bristol-city-role/

So if I've got this right, he's twice sold Palace to people who didn't have enough money to keep the club going, resulting in Palace twice going into administration? 

Interesting appointment then,  given our current owner is looking to sell up and will presumably rely on our new CEO to find a suitable buyer. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

18 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

So if I've got this right, he's twice sold Palace to people who didn't have enough money to keep the club going, resulting in Palace twice going into administration? 

Interesting appointment then,  given our current owner is looking to sell up and will presumably rely on our new CEO to find a suitable buyer. 

That actually might not be a bad thing. It depends on his ability to learn obviously but people who have made mistakes at least have experience of the pitfalls that need to be avoided.

26 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Bit unfair IMO when he sold the club to Goldberg he had just banked £200 million from the sale of his company dont think they expected him to blow it in 2 years! His story is insane! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Goldberg_(football_manager)

the creditors of the first administration chose Jordan as his offer was the best to recover the losses so not his fault.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Does make you wonder that he has that American connection.