IGNORED

Preston North End away match thread

Now I've calmed down (and I'm full of Oowee Burger), a few thoughts.

Ugly scrappy game and one of those we would capitulate in previously.

We carry a real threat, specially on the break, just a shame we couldn't find a little more composure later on.

Max, apart from the goal, was excellent. Those times late in games with teams pumping the ball in the box have broken us previously. To have a keeper that comes and claims through his whole area means they have to try and make the cross perfect, which buys more time. The replay seems to show there was a fair bit of movement on the shot that lead to the goal, so much more difficult than first thought.

I hate moaning about Refs, even when we've won, but how he could be blind to things in front of him (Nakhi & Scott) but saw every shirt pull we did amazes me. 

It looks like we have genuine options from the bench now, shame we didn't get to see Mehmetti, but I thought the subs were used well today.

On that note I have to praise Nige. I have criticised him several times on slow or late subs, but I thought he got it spot on today. Wells was on the edge of a second yellow, fresh legs up front with Weimann & Cornick was sensible and going to a 3 at the back with Kalas was timely. 

I thought we saw the game out pretty well, they were fairly one dimensional and predictable. You know they will go diagonal and get lots of crosses in, it just isn't that easy to stop.

It was a tough game for anyone to stand out, scrappy , gritty and the ball was in the air far too much, it didn't really suit us. So to come away with 3 points is very pleasing . Personally if I had to give MotM I'd go for Max, the diving save was very good and he really did try and dominate his area. 

Completely different game next week. My Norwich mate has not been enjoying this season, picked up a little since the new manager but he said "Burnley tied us in knots and we never laid a glove on em." Not sure what that means for next week, but it should be a better game than today. 
Typically good timing for me to be in Essex :facepalm:

• Like 9
1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Stonkingly efficient shooting today. Just 6 shots on goal (PNE took 17), but 3 of those on target. Average xG per shot of 0.28 which is huge. The two goals naturally created the huge majority of that threat given where they were.

Sykes' in particular was obviously almost a 1.0 xG by itself.

Impressive stuff but if we want to bother the top teams we need to start adding quantity to this quality.

Will that not then dilute the quality? 

16 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Now I've calmed down (and I'm full of Oowee Burger), a few thoughts.

Ugly scrappy game and one of those we would capitulate in previously.

We carry a real threat, specially on the break, just a shame we couldn't find a little more composure later on.

Max, apart from the goal, was excellent. Those times late in games with teams pumping the ball in the box have broken us previously. To have a keeper that comes and claims through his whole area means they have to try and make the cross perfect, which buys more time. The replay seems to show there was a fair bit of movement on the shot that lead to the goal, so much more difficult than first thought.

I hate moaning about Refs, even when we've won, but how he could be blind to things in front of him (Nakhi & Scott) but saw every shirt pull we did amazes me. 

It looks like we have genuine options from the bench now, shame we didn't get to see Mehmetti, but I thought the subs were used well today.

On that note I have to praise Nige. I have criticised him several times on slow or late subs, but I thought he got it spot on today. Wells was on the edge of a second yellow, fresh legs up front with Weimann & Cornick was sensible and going to a 3 at the back with Kalas was timely. 

I thought we saw the game out pretty well, they were fairly one dimensional and predictable. You know they will go diagonal and get lots of crosses in, it just isn't that easy to stop.

It was a tough game for anyone to stand out, scrappy , gritty and the ball was in the air far too much, it didn't really suit us. So to come away with 3 points is very pleasing . Personally if I had to give MotM I'd go for Max, the diving save was very good and he really did try and dominate his area. 

Completely different game next week. My Norwich mate has not been enjoying this season, picked up a little since the new manager but he said "Burnley tied us in knots and we never laid a glove on em." Not sure what that means for next week, but it should be a better game than today. 
Typically good timing for me to be in Essex :facepalm:

This says it all for me. Not a pretty game to watch but we were efficient in front of goal and defended well, especially the set pieces. We had a little luck most notably the wonderful headed clearance out for our throw by the Preston attacker sat the back stick when it looked easier to score. Apart from the ludicrous decision to award Liam Delap a free kick when he was trying to take the shirt off of Atkinson's back for 20 yards I thought the ref had a decent 1st half. He totally lost it in the 2nd period though as Preston ramped up the antics they're famous for. While it would seem Wells was fortunate only to see yellow for his retaliation it is unbelievable that the cowardly vicious rake down Nakhi's achilles by Cunningham went unpunished. We owed them this one. 

• Like 6
4 hours ago, old_eastender said:

It was a bad mistake from Max, but he has pulled off 3 or 4 good saves today and even after his error, he still was coming out claiming high balls - good to see.

It was a mistake, but I’ve seen worse. In fairness to him, from our view right behind the flight of the ball, it was moving wickedly, and then I think bounced too. 

As you say, that aside, he did well.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

PNE fan talking about being gifted a goal  ffs

Max was good today, but gave them their goal.

Cracking attempt at blaming the defenders. Max   :laugh:

I think Max was rightly making the point that no one tracked their runner for the tap in.

I’m sure he knows himself that at the very least he should have parried it wide, but once that happened he could have been bailed out by his defence.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think Max was rightly making the point that no one tracked their runner for the tap in.

I’m sure he knows himself that at the very least he should have parried it wide, but once that happened he could have been bailed out by his defence.

Possibly, but spilling that one is always going to be easier for an attacker to exploit as they are facing goal.

Keeper takes the blame for me.

Not sure how you can be confused. He spills it to players FACING goal. Easy tap in.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
6 hours ago, East Yorkshire CideRed said:

Bloody nice one! Really thought it’d end 2-2 there.

Most of us if we are honest at the time thought that, very glad to be wrong though. I mean it's going to take a while before all the ghosts of the past are exorcised I remember when we were in league one in our promotion season I genuinely never ever felt like we were not going to win in the end, it would be nice to have that feeling back again and not chewing through my nails willing the time to pass if we are winning or drawing. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

There were two of their players ready for the tap in with two of ours watching them (Vyner and Pring I think).

O'Leary had every right to have a go at them, they were ball watching.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

There were two of their players ready for the tap in with two of ours watching them (Vyner and Pring I think).

O'Leary had every right to have a go at them, they were ball watching.

It wasn’t so much the ball watching it was no one moved to get between the shot and the goal. The shooter had all day to think about it and hit it at goal! Watch the replay behind the goal

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

It wasn’t so much the ball watching it was no one moved to get between the shot and the goal. The shooter had all day to think about it and hit it at goal! Watch the replay behind the goal

That as well.

Bad goal to concede all round - but we won anyway.

• Like 1

Had a look at their forum this morning and they are in OTIB meltdown mode. Very complimentary about Scott but a couple of interesting comments like we have better players made me laugh.

Nothing like the PNE under Alex Neill. They don't score goals so either the forwards are poor or their creativity from players is too. I can see them dropping bottom 8 if they aren't careful. 

On a sidenote for those that went, what were the prem loan signings they had like?

17 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Had a look at their forum this morning and they are in OTIB meltdown mode. Very complimentary about Scott but a couple of interesting comments like we have better players made me laugh.

Nothing like the PNE under Alex Neill. They don't score goals so either the forwards are poor or their creativity from players is too. I can see them dropping bottom 8 if they aren't careful. 

On a sidenote for those that went, what were the prem loan signings they had like?

None of them stood out for me. Delap and Cannon both looked OK but nothing more. They weren’t particularly effective, although to be fair they didn’t get great service. They had a lot of high balls, but they were not the sort forwards want, and we managed on the whole to defend them pretty comfortably.

Fernandez came on with about 10 minutes left, so didn’t really see enough of him to judge. 

Edit: PS - And Delaps long throws are nowhere near as effective as Rory’s!! 

Edited by italian dave
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, italian dave said:

None of them stood out for me. Delap and Cannon both looked OK but nothing more. They weren’t particularly effective, although to be fair they didn’t get great service. They had a lot of high balls, but they were not the sort forwards want, and we managed on the whole to defend them pretty comfortably.

Fernandez came on with about 10 minutes left, so didn’t really see enough of him to judge. 

Edit: PS - And Delaps long throws are nowhere near as effective as Rory’s!! 

I thought Cannon was impressive, has been the couple of times I saw him.

Delap, I’ve yet to be convinced, mainly because I think he’s quite a big, physical lad who may well have flat-track bullied his way through age group football.  He is obviously talented, but at 19, I don’t think he’s quite ready to influence games against hairy-arsed Championship CBs.

Fernandez as you say only on for 10 mins, but he’s technically very good when I’ve seen him previously.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought Cannon was impressive, has been the couple of times I saw him.

Delap, I’ve yet to be convinced, mainly because I think he’s quite a big, physical lad who may well have flat-track bullied his way through age group football.  He is obviously talented, but at 19, I don’t think he’s quite ready to influence games against hairy-arsed Championship CBs.

Fernandez as you say only on for 10 mins, but he’s technically very good when I’ve seen him previously.

So wonderfully put, Dave  and just as I'm about to tuck into a bit of lunch    :laugh: 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Long tweet, but lots of similarities:

PNE have a far greater history than us too.

Sorry didn't get past the part where he said Norwich and Sheff Utd were similar sized clubs to them.

They overachieve for the level of their support and for the reason of having very few fans it would take a freak season for them to be promoted.

I feel sorry for Lowe as he has them at the limit of their possible ambition and being booed off.

14 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Sorry didn't get past the part where he said Norwich and Sheff Utd were similar sized clubs to them.

They overachieve for the level of their support and for the reason of having very few fans it would take a freak season for them to be promoted.

I feel sorry for Lowe as he has them at the limit of their possible ambition and being booed off.

But haven't Brentford, Bournemouth and to an extent Burnley proved this wrong? Each of those clubs, at the time they earned their most recent meaningful promotion to the PL, had attendances of circa 12,000. Brentford and Bournemouth had stadia that barely held more than that, and Burnley is just a small town. Burnley averaged 13,700 in 13/14 when they went up, Bournemouth got 10,200 in 14/15, and Brentford 10,200 in 18/19 (the last non-COVID affected year prior to them going up). It's not fan numbers that determine if you go up or not. Even perennial yo-yo clubs like Fulham and WBA average circa 20,000 in their promotion seasons.

To get out of this division you need four things 1) money, 2) a plan, 3) personnel able to execute the plan with the money, and 4) some luck. The way you get those four things can vary, but those are the four shared characteristics that most promoted teams in recent years have had.

• Like 1

Red zone or whatever it’s called has just been uploaded to YouTube. 3 x red cards for PNE missed, no 14 on Scott and then bell in quick succession. But the one by Cunningham on wells is an absolute shocker, he should be ashamed of himself. And then the lovely mr evans, clear punch right in front of the ref. So glad we won, hope Cunningham does his acl next game, cowards tackle by him. 

58 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Red zone or whatever it’s called has just been uploaded to YouTube. 3 x red cards for PNE missed, no 14 on Scott and then bell in quick succession. But the one by Cunningham on wells is an absolute shocker, he should be ashamed of himself. And then the lovely mr evans, clear punch right in front of the ref. So glad we won, hope Cunningham does his acl next game, cowards tackle by him. 

Just watched it, thanks for pointing it out. I honestly don't understand how the referee cannot have seen that incident.  We should be asking the FA to look into that.

https://youtu.be/RQfrWFxDtPI

• Like 1
On 06/02/2023 at 22:04, Port Said Red said:

Just watched it, thanks for pointing it out. I honestly don't understand how the referee cannot have seen that incident.  We should be asking the FA to look into that.

https://youtu.be/RQfrWFxDtPI

Banned for 4 games.

https://www.pnefc.net/news/2023/february/ched-evans-receives-retrospective-suspension/

• Like 1
  • Flames 1