IGNORED

Nigel Pearson

Red Army 75

Nige has had a really tough task to pretty much rebuild the entire football club after it had become a shambles under LJ and Ashton, plus having to reduce the wage bill at the same time.

The Baggies defeat on Boxing Day at AG seems to have been the turning point

Next up Hull City at AG and hopefully another 3 points to push up the table and who knows? maybe another penalty to the home team.

• Like 9
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Some never lost faith but having got home from a walk with 5 minutes of the game left & scrolled through the match thread, dear oh dear, we were 1 down to the fifth placed team..

Great result & the unbeaten run continues, good that we have a free week, too.

I’m looking forward to catching up and reading it back.  Thought we have a really good account of ourselves, withstood a bit of pressure after their goal, then came strong with the energy from the subs.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Some never lost faith but having got home from a walk with 5 minutes of the game left & scrolled through the match thread, dear oh dear, we were 1 down to the fifth placed team..

As I've said many times, we could lose every game 5-0 and the reality would still never be as bad as the match day thread would have you believe.

• Like 5

What really impressed me today is that Pearson realised he had got the triple sub wrong and that we had lost our structure and identified a simple and not necessarily obvious fix where bringing on a left back for a midfielder gave us a shape that could get us back in the game. Credit to the players too for losing their way but then finding it again. A few months ago we could not have got back into that.

• Like 6
  • Robin 1

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nige has had a really tough task to pretty much rebuild the entire football club after it had become a shambles under LJ and Ashton, plus having to reduce the wage bill at the same time.

The Baggies defeat on Boxing Day at AG seems to have been the turning point

Next up Hull City at AG and hopefully another 3 points to push up the table and who knows? maybe another penalty to the home team.

Nah me going to millwall (first game of season after being too sick for wba) 

My presence leaving it's mark, that was the true true turning point. Literally unbeaten since

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I don't understand why people get so upset by the MDT. People are reacting to the game in real time, of course it's going to be over dramatic.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Exactly as a Nige staunch man it’s great how this club has gone from shitting it that we will concede a last minute goal to looking the complete opposite 

• Like 4

What a turnaround since the start of the year!

Total contrast to pre-christmas & everyone involved deserves huge credit. 

NP deserved the criticism back then for bad selections and we looked doomed to a real dogfight.

Now with better selections and team that are so refreshing to watch, with strength on the bench - we look like proper team again & it's great to see!

• Like 2

Really positive stuff.  We're on a superb run at the moment courtesy of showing a real togetherness and team spirit.  In the last week we've had a very good win against Norwich.  A frustrating game against Wigan, but one I think we could easily have lost not too long ago, and a late comeback point against a play off contending team, away from home, in front of nearly 40k.  

NP is doing a first class job, which stretches way, way beyond just simply the match days.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, shelts said:

Something has changed at our football club.  He’s done a fantastic job and continues do so . I know he’s not universally liked , I get it , but respect has to go out to him and his coaching staff . The attitude has changed . We are difficult to play against and gone are the soft touches we used to be . A proper togetherness and team ethic and a style of play . 

That recent January transfer window could not have come quick enough for NP. Out with the hangers on …..

• Like 4

Sounds like a great performance today and Nigel said on RB that we were excellent so he is happy (apart from the injury to Atkinson and how the officials dealt with it). Sunderland fans are complimentary to us on their forum - one said that we were the best team that they had seen at their place this season. 

• Thanks 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

I remember being pleasantly surprised when Nige was appointed because it didn't seem like a Lansdown appointment at all. Finally we had a gaffer with top level experience and a proven footballing IQ.

It hasn't been a straightforward process getting to this point with a huge upheaval off the pitch and some worries along the way on it, but it's so satisfying to see City not just showing their quality but also character, spirit, determination etc etc...

It feels like we're back to where we were in 2016 before our brutal decline.

We probably shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves because the football gods know how to put you back in your place, but it's hard not to be optimistic right now, and we should enjoy it.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Working on the assumption that Scott goes for big money in the summer, I’m excited by the prospect of that money being used to fund a proper promotion push next year. The foundations are in place now and if we’d have been playing like this all season, we’d be right in the mix now.

Agreed. Really interesting to see what Pearson can do with say 5 or 6 million if like you said Scott goes for the big money as most of us expect him to in the summer.

• Hmmm 1

21 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

What a turnaround since the start of the year!

Total contrast to pre-christmas & everyone involved deserves huge credit. 

NP deserved the criticism back then for bad selections and we looked doomed to a real dogfight.

Now with better selections and team that are so refreshing to watch, with strength on the bench - we look like proper team again & it's great to see!

Why oh why didn’t Nige listen sooner!

One thing that hasn’t changed is we have a team playing for their manager. The hard work now coming to fruition.

• Like 6

Pearson just gets on with delivering what he came here to do (ably abetted by his coaching staff)

A genuine, experienced and knowledgeable football manager.

It's refreshing to have someone so grounded, frank and focused on his task.

Imagine what he could do if he had the same amount of money given to a certain predecessor.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

He’s totally changed the mentality at the club, and arguably even in a better way than Cotterill did. Probably the most togetherness we’ve seen since the GJ days, if not more so. 

And some wanted him sacked for not ‘liking loans’/being a dinosaur/being left behind by younger coaches…..and Tinnion made manager ffs ????

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 4

2 hours ago, eardun said:

Sounds like a great performance today and Nigel said on RB that we were excellent so he is happy (apart from the injury to Atkinson and how the officials dealt with it). Sunderland fans are complimentary to us on their forum - one said that we were the best team that they had seen at their place this season. 

My lad is up there and said similar. Chatting to a few Sunderland on the way back to Newcastle they said "in the top three teams, footballing wise, to come here". However he has been taught well enough to not then ask "so lads, do you prefer us or Da Gas?"...................

• Like 3