IGNORED

O'Neills - New Kit Supplier (Confirmed)

• Admin
40 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Not asking you specifically but how much fan consultation was there for the new crest? As a season ticket holder I can't remember it being mentioned until it was launched but I'm probably forgetting about it.

It wasn't, and the club are aware of the rumblings around the fan base, but sadly this change isn't covered in the white paper that the Government produced so basically they could do what they wanted.

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

It wasn't, and the club are aware of the rumblings around the fan base, but sadly this change isn't covered in the white paper that the Government produced so basically they could do what they wanted.

Any chance it can be brought up tonight, as per below..?

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

Hi mate. Assuming the meeting is tonight..? Could you raise the issue regarding the "splat robin" (I think that is now it's official title..!)

Mainly though, the lack of any consultation regarding all the changes to kits and official merchandise. If you're not able to, perhaps @Dollymarieor @ExiledAjaxI believe are involved...?

Ta V much.

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

Interesting, I since looked it up and there was a "focus group made up of a cross section of the fanbase" which is a poor way to involve the fans in such a big change. 

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I felt some of the initial critical comments about our kits were over the top, but I generally don't care as I wouldn't buy one anyway. Some other clubs fans made positive comments about the third shirt on another forum I frequent - unfortunately they aren't the target market for Bristol City and they don't really care about the badge. 

Going retro has been in vogue for quite a while now with football kits, but even outside of that with the young ones. Maybe it's running it's course now. 

Got to say that jacket is definitely taking the piss! :laugh: the bucket hats too are really off. Not for me anyway, but i can see the idea that was somehow executed poorly. The random Bristol City on the back makes it look worse. 

Seems it not just us that are confused about our identity as Aston Villa are going ahead with two crests this season much to their fans bemusement. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-explain-club-crest-27172830.amp

The splat Robin kind of worked on the back of the Grey Hummel t-shirt, but it's bizarre they would push it so heavily with little communication and so soon after our other badge change. They are obviously trying to work out how to approach it, or just plan to ignore it and quietly drop it. 

It's clear Hummel were very good at getting the base ideas into clear marketable clothing. Those jackets a couple of years back were really nice for example. I don't think it matters who the brand are as long as they do a decent job and it's obvious that this year is all over the place. 

It all feels a little bit like the badge change around 2005 tbh. 

1 hour ago, Offside said:

That first one looks terrible. 

I like the next two. Much better than than the blue training top that will lead most people to assume it’s the team from Manchester.

The last one is ok. 

I don’t have a clue about the quality of the new range of kits. I like the design of the home kit. Not keen on the yellow kit. 

The ‘splat’ robin is absolutely awful and seems senseless after so much work went into establishing the new crest. 

Talking of the first one and the last one, who actually are the players? ? I know the second and third ones are Seb Palmer-Houlden and Haydon Roberts. 

2 hours ago, glynriley said:

Hi mate. Assuming the meeting is tonight..? Could you raise the issue regarding the "splat robin" (I think that is now it's official title..!)

Mainly though, the lack of any consultation regarding all the changes to kits and official merchandise. If you're not able to, perhaps @Dollymarieor @ExiledAjaxI believe are involved...?

Ta V much.

Tonight’s meeting isn’t happening due to a number of us being unavailable. Next months meeting is the 2nd of August 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, glynriley said:

Any chance it can be brought up tonight, as per below..?

Hi @glynriley

As above there is no meeting, but I did email and ask the question for you, and I was told that the EFL were approached by a member of the SC&T and they advised that whilst it didn't break any guidelines etc but it was certainly in bad taste

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
17 hours ago, Olé said:

Three possibilities

1. Printer didn't have the right font installed

2. Artwork file became corrupted 

3. We no longer care

**** me we don't half produce some garbage these days. And all this bollocks about O'Neils being a serious brand - a serious brand would not have just nodded and printed all this shit and put their name on it. O'Neils is obviously happy to just print whatever the park football teams and Hen Dos send it to print.

DA3A985C-AB18-4A0B-92B3-889639D94E05.thumb.jpeg.2f8cbb9eb8d956654d76cf5b0e3b4b2c.jpeg

2D7F7129-E0D7-48ED-BF89-E57DEFD9AEEF.thumb.jpeg.459fe0358ba5e61407305964142321de.jpeg

Inspired by Rangers right?

See the source image

I don’t want to be burnt at the stake but the latest offering i.e the white and red t shirt look ok.I also like the city badge in the middle and unlike the blue offering it suggests we are BristolCity!!

No sign of that bird flying in a bizarre way as well.

Such a shame as Hummel was the ballocks of all the brands we have used since the Umbro 76 shirt imho.

I have phoned the fashion police to report theses crimes .The officer was very understanding but suggested I looked at rovers kit to see that there was always someone worse off than me.

coyr

• Like 3

I have tried before to explain some of the things that went on with Elite (Hummel) , but this is a brilliant video and explains it very well. Along with problems jumping into new kit deals and how long it takes normally. 

I recommend anyone who has criticised the Club over this to watch the video. 

I would have liked City to have done something like this to explain things, but we don't really have anyone Media friendly enough to carry it off and the fact they are Youtubers means it's a good watch as well as informative. 

Love that they explain they were getting no money from the deal with Elite, and that they had to buy their own kit from the Administrators so that they could sell it. 

As I say , very worth the time to watch.

3 hours ago, RedRoss said:

For anyone who is asking why we aren't still with Hummel and why everything has been rushed through with an alternative supplier.

The youtube team Hashtag United break down the issues with the UK distributor and the impact it had:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

See the source image

Interlocking or intertwined initials was always common place historically in sports team shirts in many countries including UK (Rangers, Leeds, Birmingham, Dundee etc) and the US.

Most of them, even 100 years ago, made plenty of artistic effort to combine a unique (often embellished serif font) with careful and clearly laid out interlocking of the various letters.

We on the other hand have just got bored in Microsoft Word, written BCFC and set letter spacing to "very tight". If it took us more than 1 minute to make the shirt we spent too long.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Olé said:

Interlocking or intertwined initials was always common place historically in sports team shirts in many countries including UK (Rangers, Leeds, Birmingham, Dundee etc) and the US.

Most of them, even 100 years ago, made plenty of artistic effort to combine a unique (often embellished serif font) with careful and clearly laid out interlocking of the various letters.

We on the other hand have just got bored in Microsoft Word, written BCFC and set letter spacing to "very tight". If it took us more than 1 minute to make the shirt we spent too long.

Flamengo as well another famous one that looks superb.  Typical us though, trying to copy something and completely butchering it.  It’s a competition to the bottom atm.  

• Like 2

On 04/07/2023 at 14:02, phantom said:

Noticed even more variations of casual wear, never mind the winter gear will be handy 

Screenshot_20230704_195538_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230704_195548_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230704_195529_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230704_195518_Gallery.jpg

Absolutely no problem with a wide variation of casual wear. Clothing companies don’t stick to one design. The problem is the official club wear. 

Just watching the latest video from Austria where a silly amount of different merch is being worn. A great little video into Day 3 but my 10 year old lad did suggest that they’re wearing loads of different stuff to auction off before the start of the season? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Just watching the latest video from Austria where a silly amount of different merch is being worn. A great little video into Day 3 but my 10 year old lad did suggest that they’re wearing loads of different stuff to auction off before the start of the season? 

H is a smart lad! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian M said:

Inspired by Rangers right?

Definitely a lot of thought that went into the Rangers redesign (to be fair, there was a lot that went into ours as well... we simply threw it all away this season).

Designed by a lifelong fan. I'm sure it would have been a dream job: https://worldbranddesign.com/rangers-football-club-rebrand-by-see-saw-creative-and-craig-black/

7 hours ago, KegCity said:

Interesting, I since looked it up and there was a "focus group made up of a cross section of the fanbase" which is a poor way to involve the fans in such a big change. 

I certainly remember filling out some sort of survey. 

I think it asked questions such as do you prefer this font or that font etc and all sorts of things. I remember JL saying it was the results of that survey which guided the design process.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I have tried before to explain some of the things that went on with Elite (Hummel) , but this is a brilliant video and explains it very well. Along with problems jumping into new kit deals and how long it takes normally. 

I recommend anyone who has criticised the Club over this to watch the video. 

I would have liked City to have done something like this to explain things, but we don't really have anyone Media friendly enough to carry it off and the fact they are Youtubers means it's a good watch as well as informative. 

Love that they explain they were getting no money from the deal with Elite, and that they had to buy their own kit from the Administrators so that they could sell it. 

As I say , very worth the time to watch.

And that they were even offered Coventrys kits! 

What happened to them probably isn't too dissimilar to what happened with us. JL alluded to this. 

They also said it was common knowledge in the industry what was happening go Elite so finding new suppliers was difficult as everyone else was also looking. 

Interestingly Coventry have signed up with the new distributor. I notice they've still not released their kits yet...

In the video they also mentioned how Hummel themselves refused to get involved and I suspect that it why we decided to move away from Hummel rather than signing up with the new distributors. I think JL may have said something along those lines.

• Like 1

I haven’t been too bothered about the new ONeill’s thing up to now, I saw it all as pretty trivial. I have now seen the training kit up close though so thought I’d chuck my two pennies worth in.

The kit seems to be good quality from what I can see, and although I don’t understand why it’s that electric blue colour it actually looks quite nice, and is far enough away from that horrible royal blue colour of the G*s for me not to be too bothered about that.

I just don’t get the badge though. The ‘splat Robin’ is in no way identifiable as Bristol City and the training top doesn’t have any branding on it that looks like us at all. All very strange. The training shorts actually look quite nice, but the zip up tops only have our actual badge on the sleeve and the main crest on the front is that new monstrosity which nobody seems to know where it originated from. I do think the club (probably JL) should come out and explain why they’ve done this and what that Robin is supposed to represent, because I have no idea ??‍♂️ 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

And that they were even offered Coventrys kits! 

What happened to them probably isn't too dissimilar to what happened with us. JL alluded to this. 

They also said it was common knowledge in the industry what was happening go Elite so finding new suppliers was difficult as everyone else was also looking. 

Interestingly Coventry have signed up with the new distributor. I notice they've still not released their kits yet...

In the video they also mentioned how Hummel themselves refused to get involved and I suspect that it why we decided to move away from Hummel rather than signing up with the new distributors. I think JL may have said something along those lines.

That bit about planning kits 18 months in advance is interesting. The first problems ( in public at least ) with Elite were around October, they went into Admin in November but as the video says they were frantically bluffing customers . 
If City had to wait and see what was happening, then had to find a Company get designs passed and made in about 3 months they did well. There are no excuses for the "other Robin" apart from mix up that they had to go with, it would be good if the Club actually came out and explained. 
Coventry announced they were sticking with Hummel in February ( actually just signed and extension ) , that's brave holding out. Imagine this place if we hadn't launched a shirt, having stuck with the company that couldn't supply the old one fully ?  
It's a great video and shows how openness , clarity and information can help situations. 

• Like 1

My hope is that sales are at an all time low with this shit show. I'm usually buying something every season but this year I don't want a replica shirt, I dont want any hats, no shirts, nothing, it's all awful. I honestly hate saying the phrase "someone needs to be let go" but with the level of how bad some of these designs are and the decisions being made I honestly feel like the club need to take a good long hard look at what they're creating and really improve. 

When you've got fans wanting to spend money, they love the club and want to get some merch and yet they still can't find a single thing they want to buy, someone has seriously ****ed up. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 2