IGNORED

Playoffs

dunsteral

We obviously have some fans who think we can make the playoffs this season, as well as some who think it is a step too far.

What took me a little by surprise last night was Nigel saying on the radio that tomorrow (today) we have to get back to the

task of trying to get in to the playoffs, which is reassuring that his frame of mind is that it is a possibility.

I think we can all look forward to a tremendous last 13 games and we are obviously going to give it all we have got.

Strap yourselves in.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dunsteral said:

We obviously have some fans who think we can make the playoffs this season, as well as some who think it is a step too far.

What took me a little by surprise last night was Nigel saying on the radio that tomorrow (today) we have to get back to the

task of trying to get in to the playoffs, which is reassuring that his frame of mind is that it is a possibility.

I think we can all look forward to a tremendous last 13 games and we are obviously going to give it all we have got.

Strap yourselves in.

Why is it a surprise? The Championship has always been the primary aim.

City are 10 points away from the top six. That’s an ideal position to be in given our league form since Boxing Day with 13 games to go.

Three points at Cardiff on Saturday will see the undefeated league run continue.

It’s an almost zero chance for me. We’ve been on an incredible run lasting over 2 months……and we’re still in the bottom half.

A top 10 finish would be great, I predicted around 12th-14th before the season started I think but even with an ok last couple months I think we’d still be 3 or 4 points from the playoffs.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, dunsteral said:

Strap yourselves in.

Sorry, not having a go but what would you expect him to say? ‘ Yeah, lets get these remaining games out of the way and we can then go on holiday’!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

It’s an almost zero chance for me. We’ve been on an incredible run lasting over 2 months……and we’re still in the bottom half.

A top 10 finish would be great, I predicted around 12th-14th before the season started I think but even with an ok last couple months I think we’d still be 3 or 4 points from the playoffs.

I agree, too many teams above us and we'd have to average over 2 points a game and hope that others lose form.

Although a lot have played a game more - 4th, 5th, and 6th for example.

Top 10 would be really good and give a platform for next season, but I think around where we are now is where we'll end up imo.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I agree, too many teams above us and we'd have to average over 2 points a game and hope that others lose form.

Although a lot have played a game more - 4th, 5th, and 6th for example.

Top 10 would be really good and give a platform for next season, but I think around where we are now is where we'll end up imo.

I think that's maybe a little pessimistic, I think a top ten finish is likely unless we suddenly become inconsistent again, if we in any way carry on our recent form 8th or 9th is entirely possible and miracles can and do sometimes happen.

• Like 1

Nige says we play to win each game

If we win every game for the rest of the season we will probably make the play offs

Kind of makes sense him saying that - plus this  was the objective given to him at the start of his tenure and a challenge would set us up nicely for next season

10-12th for me would be very credible 

From Pearsons point of view he will want us to keep pushing and keep performing. If he says we can't go up and can't go down then there could be some worry of players being "on the beach' already.
Give them a target, set them a task and push them to try. Makes sense to me, hopefully means the season won't peter out and we could see some good games.

FWIT, I think it's a step too far. But why not try.

• Like 2

Can’t help but think last night was perfect prep for Cardiff. For the benefit of Cardiff, that is.

I can’t help feel a bit ‘after the Lord Mayor’s show’, plus with the unbeaten run ending, and being run ragged for most of the 90 mins…

I’ll be very impressed with the team if we beat Cardiff. 

• Thanks 1

I must be a very pessimistic supporter as after years of disappointment, the sooner we can get to 50 points then I’ll be happy.  Once safety is achieved then anything else is a bonus and squad will be massively stretched with suspensions and potential injuries. Now next season though?

18 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Can’t help but think last night was perfect prep for Cardiff. For the benefit of Cardiff, that is.

I can’t help feel a bit ‘after the Lord Mayor’s show’, plus with the unbeaten run ending, and being run ragged for most of the 90 mins…

I’ll be very impressed with the team if we beat Cardiff. 

The worry for me is not just the physical fatigue but also mental/emotional. With a short recovery time now, the players might just be a bit fooked.

I think this is part of why Nige was downplaying the occasion a little; to make it less emotionally stimulating, so to speak.

If we win on Saturday against Cardiff, that will be 20 points from the last 10 games.

Now forget about how many teams are between 6th and us amd who has to play who, if we can do the same from the following 10 and then pick up a win from the remaining 2 games, that will see us on 70 points.

70 points will be enough to give us a chance of the play offs. It may end up being not enough but we just need to concentrate on ourselves and what we can do.

The rest is out of our control and, as Nige would say, there is no point wasting too much time or energy on those things.

Edited by citywest30

5 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Sorry, not having a go but what would you expect him to say? ‘ Yeah, lets get these remaining games out of the way and we can then go on holiday’!

I expect him to say that we go again and we've got the league to concentrate on. But I was surprised that he actually mentioned the playoffs without any prompting. Normally he is quite reticent on city's progress. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, E.G.Red said:

I expect him to say that we go again and we've got the league to concentrate on. But I was surprised that he actually mentioned the playoffs without any prompting. Normally he is quite reticent on city's progress. 

Yeah I think he's mentioned that the players talk about that but never himself.

5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

From Pearsons point of view he will want us to keep pushing and keep performing. If he says we can't go up and can't go down then there could be some worry of players being "on the beach' already.
Give them a target, set them a task and push them to try. Makes sense to me, hopefully means the season won't peter out and we could see some good games.

FWIT, I think it's a step too far. But why not try.

Good post.

NP wants to keep the playing and improving on current levels. Do you say we are going have a go at play offs keeps mentality right and no " we nearly on the beach" mind sets. Does make us a more attractive club to sign for too. I worry about injury's and fatigue in all this. But let's just enjoy the journey.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, pillred said:

Slightly off topic but could anyone tell me why the Blackpool game on the 11th is at 12:30? it must make getting here from Blackpool a bit of an ordeal for their fans being so early.

It’s live on Sky.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dunsteral said:

Strap yourselves in.

"He Who Dares Rodders, He Who Dares" :online2long: :whistle2:

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

Why is it a surprise? The Championship has always been the primary aim.

City are 10 points away from the top six. That’s an ideal position to be in given our league form since Boxing Day with 13 games to go.

Three points at Cardiff on Saturday will see the undefeated league run continue.

I mean, we were 7 points off the play-offs on Boxing Day, now we're 10. By that logic it is anything but an ideal position :laugh:

• Sad 1