IGNORED

Playoffs

dunsteral

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

And?…………:dunno:

The Championship changes after every round of matches Marcus - City are currently handy placed for a top six push.

What do you mean "and?". Quite clear from my post - 9 unbeaten in the league but further away from the playoffs than we were at Xmas.

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

What do you mean "and?". Quite clear from my post - 9 unbeaten in the league but further away from the playoffs than we were at Xmas.

‘and?’ means ‘so what if City are further away now than we were at Xmas?’

Its means nothing - as I said the table changes after every round of Championship fixtures.

4 minutes ago, Super said:

13 games left we probably have to win 9 and we've won 11 all season..........!

Extrapolated, 6th place will be 74-75 pts.

54/34 games thusfar...9-4-2? We are in strong form but which side above us has collapsed yet? Can't think of any- QPR obviously bit they're below and have been in freefall.

Since Boxing Day ie from Millwall away to present.

Us- 9 games, 17 points.

Preston- 10 games, 12 points.

West Brom- 9 games, 16 points.

Coventry- 11 games, 16 points.

Sunderland- 10 games, 15 points.

Watford- 10 games, 13 points.

Norwich- 10 games, 17 points.

Luton- 11 games, 21 points.

Millwall- 11 games, 19 points.

Blackburn- 10 games, 16 points.

Some teams have caught up on gsmes postponed- ie Luton v Millwall and Coventry v Huddersfield from August then away to Preston from an FA Cup rearrangement.

Our form in of itself is pretty good, the problem is we would need an insanely good run to close the gap, the points spread. It just isn't really feasible.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Super said:

I doubt any team in the league will win 9 games between now and the end of the season.

It might not necessary to win 9 games. Other Championship results can make a lot of difference to the league standings and currently City are performing well. Other clubs will aware of our good form.

You never know…..………:cool2:

It great to be with a shout tho - just what we fans need to keep the season interesting.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It might not necessary to win 9 games. Other Championship results can make a lot of difference to the league standings and currently City are performing well. Other clubs will aware of our good form.

You never know…..………:cool2:

It great to be with a shout tho - just what we fans need to keep the season interesting.

Interested to know how you think we’ll make up at least 10 points on sides in the top six without us winning a lot of games…

Like so much you post, this makes absolutely no sense.

The form of those in 4th, 5th, 6th & 7th is actually broadly similar to ours, certainly not different enough to suggest any possibility of us closing a 10 point gap over 13 games.

You’ll probably reply by saying anyone can beat anyone, I already know that, but someone still gets 3 points as a result, don’t they?

We have virtually no chance of making the playoffs.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

27 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Interested to know how you think we’ll make up at least 10 points on sides in the top six without us winning a lot of games…

Like so much you post, this makes absolutely no sense.

The form of those in 4th, 5th, 6th & 7th is actually broadly similar to ours, certainly not different enough to suggest any possibility of us closing a 10 point gap over 13 games.

You’ll probably reply by saying anyone can beat anyone, I already know that, but someone still gets 3 points as a result, don’t they?

We have virtually no chance of making the playoffs.

We’re all entitled to our opinions GrahamC and my opinion on this topic is obviously different to yours but according to you my opinion make’s absolutely no sense…………….:cool2:

I’m too polite to retort tho.

However…..we’ll see and it could be that you’ll be eating humble pie in 10 games time.

Back on topic, I think realistically we’ve left it a touch too late. The absolute thing that needs to happen is three wins in the next 9 days against teams below us in the table and really struggling. That’s followed by Luton away and Swansea away, where 4 points is the minimum requirement and should be doable - ideally beating Luton if we want to close any gap.

So, if we get to the international break and we have another 13 points, we’re probably 6 outside with 8 to play. With a run in that includes all the top three even making that up is a very tough ask.

It’s not impossible, and momentum gets you a long way, but as that illustrates, even if we win 4 of the next 5 in our “easier” batch it still becomes very unlikely.

On 01/03/2023 at 15:59, Robbored said:

Why is it a surprise? The Championship has always been the primary aim.

City are 10 points away from the top six. That’s an ideal position to be in given our league form since Boxing Day with 13 games to go.

Three points at Cardiff on Saturday will see the undefeated league run continue.

Personally, I think that Nigel is experienced enough at this level, and several other levels which we are unable to comprehend having not managed at that level, to appreciate that its our primary aim - or not.

At the given time of his choosing, I expect Nigel, who I have the utmost respect for at this level, to make the appropriate announcement on the OS.

I hope that's clear - and on the level.

Edited by Curr Avon

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Back on topic, I think realistically we’ve left it a touch too late. The absolute thing that needs to happen is three wins in the next 9 days against teams below us in the table and really struggling. That’s followed by Luton away and Swansea away, where 4 points is the minimum requirement and should be doable - ideally beating Luton if we want to close any gap.

So, if we get to the international break and we have another 13 points, we’re probably 6 outside with 8 to play. With a run in that includes all the top three even making that up is a very tough ask.

It’s not impossible, and momentum gets you a long way, but as that illustrates, even if we win 4 of the next 5 in our “easier” batch it still becomes very unlikely.

That’s absolutely right. 

The fact that we’re debating/discussing the possibility of the top six keeps us interested in the remaining games (even the pessimists who would never admit that) is a positive.

1 minute ago, Curr Avon said:

Personally, I think that Nigel is experienced enough at this level, and several other levels which we are unable to comprehend having not managed at that level, to appreciate that its our primary aim - or not.

At the given time of his choosing, I expect Nigel, who I have the utmost respect for at this level, to make the appropriate announcement on the OS.

I hope that's clear - and on the level.

I’m very tempted to say that that is as close to mumbo jumbo as I’ve seen on here - but I won’t………..:whistle:

As Saturdays goes I’m hoping the lads are slightly frustrated with the 0-3 loss to City and Cardiff will feel there frustration , massive game in my eyes , win and we could yet again push on ( possibly chase and outside play offs )defeat then an awkward game away to Huddersfield you lose that very quickly goes from 12 undefeated to 3 straight losses , funny old game 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

‘and?’ means ‘so what if City are further away now than we were at Xmas?’

Its means nothing - as I said the table changes after every round of Championship fixtures.

So hang on a minute, Let's get this straight for a second :laugh:.

You make a point that we could make the play-offs, because our form since Boxing Day has been so good.

It's then pointed out to you, that despite our 'good' form since boxing day, we are now further away from the play-offs than we were then and that it is nowhere near enough.

And you think that if we continue that form, maths will magically rewrite it's rules and we might make the play-offs?

Robbored with his outstanding logic as ever :facepalm:.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

So hang on a minute, Let's get this straight for a second :laugh:.

You make a point that we could make the play-offs, because our form since Boxing Day has been so good.

It's then pointed out to you, that despite our 'good' form since boxing day, we are now further away from the play-offs than we were then and that it is nowhere near enough.

And you think that if we continue that form, maths will magically rewrite it's rules and we might make the play-offs?

Robbored with his outstanding logic as ever :facepalm:.

It doesn't matter that we are further away points wise imo. If we repeat our form from the last 9 over the next we'll be on 61 points with another 4 games to play. If we can win 3 of them we get to 70. 

Yes a lot of ifs but our form is there, so mathematically not rewriting of rules needed. 70 points gives us a fair chance.

Edited by citywest30

City are 10 points away from the top six. That’s an ideal position to be in given our league form since Boxing Day with 13 games to go.

Three points at Cardiff on Saturday will see the undefeated league run continue.

6 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

It doesn't matter that we are further away points wise imo. If we repeat our form from the last 9 over the next we'll be on 61 points with another 4 games to play. If we can win 3 of them we get to 70. 

Yes a lot of ifs but our form is there, so mathematically not rewriting of rules needed. 70 points gives us a fair chance.

But even IF we did that, for 70 to be enough you'd need either Millwall or Luton to suffer basically relegation form from now until the end of the season, us to better all 6 other teams above us (which we are currently not doing even in our 'good' form), and hope it's one of those freak years where 70 is enough - over the last 10 years or so you typically need 75 minimum. 

It's fun to see if we can make it, and it is technically possible, but it is not happening.

• Like 1

I don’t understand ,surely we are already in the Championship why are we aiming for it?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

But even IF we did that, for 70 to be enough you'd need either Millwall or Luton to suffer basically relegation form from now until the end of the season, us to better all 6 other teams above us (which we are currently not doing even in our 'good' form), and hope it's one of those freak years where 70 is enough - over the last 10 years or so you typically need 75 minimum. 

It's fun to see if we can make it, and it is technically possible, but it is not happening.

Agreed and it is a big if. Bit equally we could also improve our form and get more wins in the next 9 and be pushing on 75. 

I just want to keep believing but I accept reality is it is unlikely.

53 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I’m not sure why I’m veering away from my one game at a time mantra, but…

…if “we’re” suggesting 61 points with 4 games left, and then getting 9 from winning 3 of them, that’s 70.  That’s what is being suggested, yes?

So for Millwall or Luton to “only” get 70, would mean them getting 16 from 12.

image.thumb.png.8499f57e3a3ad175e21167a6f61e1f78.png

That’s not relegation form, that’s effectively W4 D4 L4….mid-table form.  A drop off on current form though, I agree.

All I would add is that it’s not just 6th we are fighting for but 4th and 5th too.  Unfortunately so are Norwich, Watford, Sunderland, Coventry, West Brom and Preston.

Personally I don’t think we will get enough points whatever the total needed is, but I’m looking forward to getting ahead of Preston first, hopefully Saturday lunchtime.

On 01/03/2023 at 15:48, dunsteral said:

We obviously have some fans who think we can make the playoffs this season, as well as some who think it is a step too far.

What took me a little by surprise last night was Nigel saying on the radio that tomorrow (today) we have to get back to the

task of trying to get in to the playoffs, which is reassuring that his frame of mind is that it is a possibility.

I think we can all look forward to a tremendous last 13 games and we are obviously going to give it all we have got.

Strap yourselves in.

The Ave to make play-off is 76 points so that is 2.5 points a game.

We can only drop 7 out of a max of 39 available to get to 76. My view is that it’s too far away but would love to be proved wrong!