IGNORED

Playoffs

dunsteral

1 hour ago, StefanDimz said:

We were 8 points off the playoffs on Boxing day. Now we are 10 indeed - but with game in hand.

and that is after 9 games unbeaten in the league, which just goes to show that talk of reaching the play-offs is pie-in-the-sky. That said it's right to aim for as high a finish as possible and a top ten place is certainly on the cards IF we can maintain our recent good form. 

Had we not played a game extra on boxing day as well? Win our game in hand and we're effectively the same points behind, but played the same rather than 1 more.

As a caveat to the above, I think it's very unlikely we'll get there.

Out of interest, how far behind were we after the two subsequent draws post WBA? Would be interesting to know how much we've caught up from there, rather than after WBA.

Edited by Red from afar
Added comment

I mean its not impossible but it won't happen. I'll honestly be buzzing with a top 10/12 finish and a positive goal difference. It will be interesting to see how we react to our first defeat, not including the Man City one as that was to be expected. Positive result at Cardiff is needed, don't want them gaining anything on us. 

17 hours ago, Robbored said:

Why is it a surprise? The Championship has always been the primary aim.

City are 10 points away from the top six. That’s an ideal position to be in given our league form since Boxing Day with 13 games to go.

Three points at Cardiff on Saturday will see the undefeated league run continue.

It's "only" 10 points, but it's actually further away from the playoffs than it was at the start of our unbeaten run.

Xmas Day we were 7 points off the play offs.

12 minutes ago, Red from afar said:

Had we not played a game extra on boxing day as well? Win our game in hand and we're effectively the same points behind, but played the same rather than 1 more.

As a caveat to the above, I think it's very unlikely we'll get there.

Out of interest, how far behind were we after the two subsequent draws post WBA? Would be interesting to know how much we've caught up from there, rather than after WBA.

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-championship/01-january-2023/

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

and that is after 9 games unbeaten in the league, which just goes to show that talk of reaching the play-offs is pie-in-the-sky. That said it's right to aim for as high a finish as possible and a top ten place is certainly on the cards IF we can maintain our recent good form. 

THat's where unbeaten runs are a bit of a false economy

We've won 4 and drawn 5 so 17 points out of an available 27

If we'd turned even 2 of those draws into wins but lost 3 games we wouldn't have a "run" to speak of but we'd be better off points wise

• Like 3

We need to go on a winning run, not just an unbeaten run.

Too many draws - many from winning positions - are our Achilles heel. I think I'm right in saying that Blackburn has lost more than us but are firmly in the play offs.

It's not impossible, but requires us to go on a long winning run and probably still hope that teams above us stumble badly.

Edit: just read @MarcusX and @TheReds posts which say the same.

Edited by downendcity

14 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I don't think you can really compare points gaps from earlier parts of the season. There were a lot less points on offer for all teams so the gaps are always going to be closer as that table proves. Even Blackpool on the relegation zone we're only 12 points off Sunderland. 

Blackburns record at that point does look freaky though. 

14 hours ago, Robin101 said:

Can’t help but think last night was perfect prep for Cardiff. For the benefit of Cardiff, that is.

I can’t help feel a bit ‘after the Lord Mayor’s show’, plus with the unbeaten run ending, and being run ragged for most of the 90 mins…

I’ll be very impressed with the team if we beat Cardiff. 

I think Mehmeti will be very important on Saturday for this reason - should be fresh and raring to go, and the sort of player who can then inspire the rest of the side if he gets going.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cyderman said:

I think Mehmeti will be very important on Saturday for this reason - should be fresh and raring to go, and the sort of player who can then inspire the rest of the side if he gets going.

Yes, in my mind I'm pinning a lot of hopes on Mehmeti over the next few weeks. I'm sure Cornick will show his worth as he settles in too.

The players will be mentally and physically shattered, but hopefully buzzing from the experience still. The lack of rotation options in the centre of defence and midfield is a concern for the remainder of this season.

For context etc. Following our Boxing Day defeat and there were further games in the round on Tuesday and maybe even Wednesday.

7 points off having played a game more. As set against now where we are 10 points off but we now have a game in hand on 6th and on many above us.

The margin for error as far as we are concerned is so very thin, which brings a pressure in itself.

Screenshot_20230302-102210_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a582f676d32559b8de8d1cfe1073ec2c.jpg

Screenshot_20230302-101833_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cf5cb30ae7999592d02929dbd9edd94e.jpg

Looking at it coldly. 10 points behind Luton, we could quite possibly catch them, we've picked up 5 points on them over the last 5/6 games. That's a very simple way to focus, but. There are another six teams we have to overtake too, and only 13 games to go.
Add a small squad, with injuries , very few options to rotate.
It would take a minor miracle for everything to fall into place , not impossible , but massively unlikely.

Great to dream, but I think that's all it is, this year at least. 

I just hope the team go out and act like we can make it, keep it interesting for the rest of the season.

24 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Looking at it coldly. 10 points behind Luton, we could quite possibly catch them, we've picked up 5 points on them over the last 5/6 games. That's a very simple way to focus, but. There are another six teams we have to overtake too, and only 13 games to go.
Add a small squad, with injuries , very few options to rotate.
It would take a minor miracle for everything to fall into place , not impossible , but massively unlikely.

Great to dream, but I think that's all it is, this year at least. 

I just hope the team go out and act like we can make it, keep it interesting for the rest of the season.

I don’t see how SkyBet can have us at 33/1 to finish in the top six and have Luton 8/13. I get that’s where punters’ money is going, but we could be ahead of them if we win our next four. 

Talk of the play-offs is unlikely, but stranger things have happened and I’d rather Nige dangled that carrot to stop the players coasting into the summer. That’s all this is, for now. 

1 minute ago, tin said:

I don’t see how SkyBet can have us at 33/1 to finish in the top six and have Luton 8/13. I get that’s where punters’ money is going, but we could be ahead of them if we win our next four. 

Talk of the play-offs is unlikely, but stranger things have happened and I’d rather Nige dangled that carrot to stop the players coasting into the summer. That’s all this is, for now. 

They are 10 points ahead, and points in the bag are key. They don't tend to speculate too much, though they try and tempt you to lump on that 33/1. Luton are in pole position , it counts for a lot. we "could" win our next 4 but we might not. Bookies don't take risks on maybes.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

It's "only" 10 points, but it's actually further away from the playoffs than it was at the start of our unbeaten run.

Xmas Day we were 7 points off the play offs.

And?…………:dunno:

The Championship changes after every round of matches Marcus - City are currently handy placed for a top six push.

I don't think it will happen, but the main thing this season was to avoid the drop and in 2 or 3 weeks time hopefully we'll be able to breathe easily knowing that we mathematically cannot be drawn into a relegation battle.

Lots of positives to build on for next season.

You can certainly feel that the mood has changed for the better. It's nice to look like we're enjoying the end of a season ride for a change.

• Like 1

• Admin
22 hours ago, dunsteral said:

We obviously have some fans who think we can make the playoffs this season, as well as some who think it is a step too far.

What took me a little by surprise last night was Nigel saying on the radio that tomorrow (today) we have to get back to the

task of trying to get in to the playoffs, which is reassuring that his frame of mind is that it is a possibility.

I think we can all look forward to a tremendous last 13 games and we are obviously going to give it all we have got.

Strap yourselves in.

4 hours ago, Cyderman said:

I think so too. It was a real shame they we didn't get to see him against ManC. I'm not saying we would have won necessarily but I think they would have been quite rattled by how he can link with others and we look more threatening.