IGNORED

Playoffs

dunsteral

Stating the mathematically obvious, but as we get closer to the end of the season, the room for us to move up or down significantly, reduces. We’d need to get past 8 teams to reach the play offs and 8 teams would need to get past us for us to be relegated. Bottom 3 are cut adrift (despite QPR’s form) and would need to improve their form season to date to get past us, even if we lose every remaining game. If Norwich continue their season to date form, we’d need a run along the lines of W9 D2 L1 to get past them, nothing suggests that’s likely. Clearly teams won’t all follow their season to date form, point is that as the team positioned exactly halfway between playoffs and relegation, in 14th, we’re probably the least likely team to bothering either this season. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

I agree but must set targets one game at a time and finish as high as we can ready for a rebuild next season 

Bingo.

Heres the one game target:

image.thumb.png.e7651fa08340dac077eeb7d4895af6a9.png

Beat Huddersfield, go 12th.

Draw with Huddersfield, go 13th, or stay 14th if Reading beat Sheffield United (assuming not been deducted 6 points by then).

One game at a time.  Boring as it is, sorry.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bingo.

Draw with Huddersfield, go 13th, or stay 14th if Reading beat Sheffield United (assuming not been deducted 6 points by then).

Poor as Huddersfield are, with Colin in charge and our injury situation I can't say I'm confident about Tuesday

4 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Poor as Huddersfield are, with Colin in charge and our injury situation I can't say I'm confident about Tuesday

I’m never confident going into any game.  The Championship is unpredictable.  Blackpool (bottom 3) drew with table topping Burnley yesterday.

Why anyone speculates stuff like “must get 6 from the next two” or “if we can get 7 from the next 3” I don’t know.  It’s futile really.

I take the approach, especially with the club we currently are, we start with a point, try not to lose that, as every point, is a point gained.

Would sit here today and take a boring as **** nil-nil on Tuesday.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bingo.

May be boring but from 12 Another win gets us 50 Which as it stands 5 points behind playoffs if players don’t believe in themselves and fans don’t either WHATS THE POINT a bit like the ass holes who say I knew we’d lose to Cardiff because it took it out of us tues ffs 

Our aim should be to sneak into the top half, it's achievable and a bad result or two doesn't rule it out unlike the play offs, also I wouldn't want us to make the play offs this season, I think that would be more detrimental to end the season on disappointment and if by an absolute miracle we got promoted this squad would probably set a record for least points earned in the Premier League. Silly thoughts aside a top half finish would be positive, it would give confidence to grow on next season and time for us to recruit for the new system we play. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

Our aim should be to sneak into the top half, it's achievable and a bad result or two doesn't rule it out unlike the play offs, also I wouldn't want us to make the play offs this season, I think that would be more detrimental to end the season on disappointment and if by an absolute miracle we got promoted this squad would probably set a record for least points earned in the Premier League. Silly thoughts aside a top half finish would be positive, it would give confidence to grow on next season and time for us to recruit for the new system we play. 

Spike I’ve always thought we’d never have a squad ready for prem BUT the rewards are. So big it doesn’t matter , look at forest I thought nailed on for relegation but have spent £130 million and are now picking up points and they got promoted with 5 loans in team 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bingo.

Sorry, I fell asleep mid way through reading this post... ?

Anyway, back to our inevitable promotion push...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

Spike I’ve always thought we’d never have a squad ready for prem BUT the rewards are. So big it doesn’t matter , look at forest I thought nailed on for relegation but have spent £130 million and are now picking up points and they got promoted with 5 loans in team 

Oh there is no doubt that if we spent £130m we may survive too if we made it there but the difference between us and Forest was their squad last season was pretty big with a lot of depth and this season they've been willing to gamble with their finances, something I can never see us doing, even with promotion. This club is now run very sensibly meaning we are keeping within the means and trying to get promoted without gambling. Our big gamble was the season that we bought Kalas, DaSilva etc, that was our real push and it failed and since that we've slowly changed the club into a safe spending club which is more apparent than ever this season as our squad is a lot smaller. Forest had a good size squad, good depth in players and even then they looked set to come back down before spending big, I think if we went up the money we'd get from it would mostly go on creating a bigger squad with a few choice signings to add quality to be able to even have a chance in the Premier League. Plenty of teams have gone into the Prem and thrown money at it and come straight back down and found themselves stuck in a position where they hands half their team left from the Prem as players ball out but still a huge wage bill, see Cardiff as a prime example. Living in Cardiff I've seen their rapid downfall and its come from being in the Prem and overspending and underperforming. I can't see this club getting promoted and spending everything on staying up, we'd spend but we'd also have a plan of saving some of that money should we get relegated, that's the new business model we've put in place, financial integrity of the club is first, performance on the pitch is a close second but ultimately is the sacrifice if the club begins to run close to FFP issues. I'm not we're being run poorly either, I'm saying the safety of the clubs long term position as a football club is priority one. 

Forest may survive this season, they may survive a few, but the more they spend, the more they pay out on wages and the more their high paid players begin to decline the more they'll suffer when they do get relegated if they can't find stability in the Premier League. Sometimes I think the parachute payments on top of a relegation where you've not overspent can actually benefit you in getting back into the Premier League in the long run and I think the club would look at finances over a roll of the dice on the long term future of the club. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

May be boring but from 12 Another win gets us 50 Which as it stands 5 points behind playoffs if players don’t believe in themselves and fans don’t either WHATS THE POINT a bit like the ass holes who say I knew we’d lose to Cardiff because it took it out of us tues ffs 

Can we try to get to 47 points first on Tuesday ???

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

Oh there is no doubt that if we spent £130m we may survive too if we made it there but the difference between us and Forest was their squad last season was pretty big with a lot of depth and this season they've been willing to gamble with their finances, something I can never see us doing, even with promotion. This club is now run very sensibly meaning we are keeping within the means and trying to get promoted without gambling. Our big gamble was the season that we bought Kalas, DaSilva etc, that was our real push and it failed and since that we've slowly changed the club into a safe spending club which is more apparent than ever this season as our squad is a lot smaller. Forest had a good size squad, good depth in players and even then they looked set to come back down before spending big, I think if we went up the money we'd get from it would mostly go on creating a bigger squad with a few choice signings to add quality to be able to even have a chance in the Premier League. Plenty of teams have gone into the Prem and thrown money at it and come straight back down and found themselves stuck in a position where they hands half their team left from the Prem as players ball out but still a huge wage bill, see Cardiff as a prime example. Living in Cardiff I've seen their rapid downfall and its come from being in the Prem and overspending and underperforming. I can't see this club getting promoted and spending everything on staying up, we'd spend but we'd also have a plan of saving some of that money should we get relegated, that's the new business model we've put in place, financial integrity of the club is first, performance on the pitch is a close second but ultimately is the sacrifice if the club begins to run close to FFP issues. I'm not we're being run poorly either, I'm saying the safety of the clubs long term position as a football club is priority one. 

Forest may survive this season, they may survive a few, but the more they spend, the more they pay out on wages and the more their high paid players begin to decline the more they'll suffer when they do get relegated if they can't find stability in the Premier League. Sometimes I think the parachute payments on top of a relegation where you've not overspent can actually benefit you in getting back into the Premier League in the long run and I think the club would look at finances over a roll of the dice on the long term future of the club. 

Hasn’t Southampton’s win put the proverbial cat amongst the pigeons.

image.png.8760b942c6fe8bdd9b1f7315a571848c.png

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’m never confident going into any game.  The Championship is unpredictable.  Blackpool (bottom 3) drew with table topping Burnley yesterday.

Why anyone speculates stuff like “must get 6 from the next two” or “if we can get 7 from the next 3” I don’t know.  It’s futile really.

I take the approach, especially with the club we currently are, we start with a point, try not to lose that, as every point, is a point gained.

Indeed. This is our eighth consecutive season at this level, we should all know by now how unpredictable the championship can be.

Edited by Bris Red

12 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Some people are confusing debating the chances of the play offs with saying we have a good chance of making the play offs. Which is both disappointing and yet not surprising for OTIB 

It can be / is a topic of debate, no doubting that.  The positioning of that debate is the important bit.

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Some people are confusing debating the chances of the play offs with saying we have a good chance of making the play offs. Which is both disappointing and yet not surprising for OTIB 

I'm not sure that some people get the concept of debating at all.

My point of view has been reinforced by yesterday. 2 more injuries to an already stretched squad and a defeat .
We would need a massive run of luck and form to even get close . 

• Like 1

As I see it, it’s all if and but’s.  We could have, now no.  I thought the way we started playing after Christmas we’d be a team making a late push, picking up injury’s has cost us.  Top 10 finish is where I’d like us to be. Come the end. We can then go into the summer confident we can go for it next season with a few more additions. 

On 05/03/2023 at 13:33, Davefevs said:

Thanks for that ..... Lottery numbers is a better way to be spot on you know?