IGNORED

Huddersfield Town away match thread

13 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I’m not trying to fit any stat into any particular viewpoint. Just asking the question. I’m actually very positive about the direction of travel generally, and I’ve really enjoyed our football for large parts of recent games. 

But it’s starting to become a bit of a habit: off to a flying start, playing some great attacking football, failing to convert any chances, and then running out of energy and ideas second half. 

I think to some extent it’s about new players and new formations, and taking time for it all to bed in. But I still think it’s becoming a worry. And however good your football, if you don’t score goals then that’s a massive problem. And 500 minutes is a long time without one. 

As long as we are creating chances and not really conceding then I’m okay with it. Goals will come back no doubt.  

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, An Outstanding Human said:

Still not quite understanding why people are jumping on Mehmeti after two quiet performances.

He's come to us midway through the season and is not used to this level. Also important to bear in mind that he was the main man at Wycombe and this could explain why he doesn't release the ball so quickly. Already, we have seen what he is capable of. We had six years of Callum O'Dowda jogging up to the full back before stopping and passing back - and he didn't even do that right at times!

I think it is in part frustration, for a player who has spent the majority of time on the left, he is so right footed, to the point where if you are a decent defender you are happy to let him cut inside. 2 or 3 times he tried that tonight with exactly the same result, and pretty much the same for Cardiff but in fairness they stuck 2 on him whenever he got the ball. I'd just like to see him go either way and cause some chaos in the box from cutting in on the byline rather than the edge of the box as he did several times tonight. It would be interesting to see what he's like on the right with Bell on the left.

Edited by bexhill reds
11 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Yes bare bones and we're 13th in the table 13 pts and a much better goal diference from the bottom 3 with potentially a lot of money to improve the squad  next season so the extreme negativity and constant criticism and moaning on this forum is quite ridiculous and as I previouly said I really don't know why some(in fact it's quite a lot) actually bother following City If it made me so miserable I certainly wouldn't.

Well everyone is entitled to a good moan after a performance of that quality. No way we are going down though.

24 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Frustrating watch, but that's the way Colin wanted it. Normal Colin tactics if they are better than you, kick them, if they start getting momentum, chuck yourself on the floor.

Should have had the game won first half, but wasteful in front of goal.

Those having a hissy fit, need to look in the mirror, give your head a wobble, then remember how many players we have out, and the makeshift team that played 

I don't think Warnock enjoyed how we carved their midfield open time after time. We should take it as a compliment that they were both delighted with their point and shattered from chasing us around all night.

29 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Does watching City ever bring you any joy ? pack it in and do something else because it sure isn't making you happy  and that goes for many of the other miserable moaning f*****s on here.

**** me, if it was joy anyone was after we wouldn't turn up.

I do dislike your advice of going to do something else.

I'm not a moaner by the way, but if fans moaning on a forum gets on your tits maybe you could do something else.

1 hour ago, An Outstanding Human said:

Still not quite understanding why people are jumping on Mehmeti after two quiet performances.

He's come to us midway through the season and is not used to this level. Also important to bear in mind that he was the main man at Wycombe and this could explain why he doesn't release the ball so quickly. Already, we have seen what he is capable of. We had six years of Callum O'Dowda jogging up to the full back before stopping and passing back - and he didn't even do that right at times!

You're right to say that we should be more patient with Mehmeti, but wrong about his experience at this level. He made 29 championship appearances for Wycombe 2 seasons ago and scored 3 goals

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 1
35 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Given our injury situation, obviously the actual loss of key players but - as important -  the disruption to playing patterns, partnerships et al, that’s an ok result for me. It’s another point away from the relegation mix for us and two lost for one of the teams in the mire at the bottom. 

Not much to get excited about now bar watching Conway return, Scott continuing to flourish and Mehmeti developing. Just need to scrape up another 8 points from somewhere. 

8 points from somewhere, why? I very much doubt we would go down if we never picked up a single point the rest of the season, 13 points is a huge margin teams are not down at the bottom after 35 games for nothing that's  at least 4 extra wins over our results can't see any of the bottom 3 winning that. 

Edited by pillred
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Curr Avon said:

You're right to say that we should be more patient with Mehmeti, but wrong about his experience at this level. He made 29 championship appearances for Wycombe 2 seasons ago and scored 2 goals 

First 5 minutes on the pitch Mehmeti looked great. His last few touches were poor in injury time. Generally, promising.

Just now, pillred said:

8 points from somewhere, why? I very much doubt we would go down if we never picked up a single point the rest of the season, 13 points is a huge margin teams are not down at the bottom after 36 games for nothing that's  at least 4 extra wins over our results can't see any of the bottom 3 winning that. 

We’re Bristol City we can always contrive a way to **** things up, it’s part of our DNA.

I don’t relax until we’re mathematically safe (and then some). 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, RedRock said:

We’re Bristol City we can always contrive a way to **** things up, it’s part of our DNA.

I don’t relax until we’re mathematically safe (and then some). 

I can understand that I know how we can pluck defeat from the jaws of victory but I genuinely think you can relax, even we couldn't possibly ef it up now I mean come on only 3 games ago we had gone 12 unbeaten and were looking an outside bet for the playoffs. 

36 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

As long as we are creating chances and not really conceding then I’m okay with it. Goals will come back no doubt.  

I hope you’re right! As @mozo has commented on another thread, we’ll probably hit 5 past someone! 

I’ve said elsewhere that I think Wells and Conway benefitted from playing together regularly last season in the U23s, and have an understanding that currently Bell, Mehmeti, Wells, Cornick (not surprisingly) don’t have. That’s when I hope it will come. 

From their forum….

All they did (Huddersfield) was leather the ball forward at every opportunity. It was kick and hope.

I didn't see a great deal of effort when Bristol City were strolling through our midfield and defence, often making yards and yards without anyone tackling or closing down. 

We had no shape, no structure to our play and all we did until the last 10 minutes was boot the ball forwards at every opportunity. We looked like a non-league side.

A better side than Bristol City would have taken us to the cleaners and, on quality of play and chances created, even they deserved to win. 

It's a long time since I've seen such a poor quality match at Championship level.

5 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

From their forum….

All they did (Huddersfield) was leather the ball forward at every opportunity. It was kick and hope.

I didn't see a great deal of effort when Bristol City were strolling through our midfield and defence, often making yards and yards without anyone tackling or closing down. 

We had no shape, no structure to our play and all we did until the last 10 minutes was boot the ball forwards at every opportunity. We looked like a non-league side.

A better side than Bristol City would have taken us to the cleaners and, on quality of play and chances created, even they deserved to win. 

It's a long time since I've seen such a poor quality match at Championship level.

Fair reflection 

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Rudoni looks a decent player. I can see why we were interested in him

Unfortunately I don’t think we (City) were…we (OTIB) were though! ?

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Cornick has offered nothing since coming on, if Wells had stayed on I feel we would have had a lot more threat as Wells makes good runs, Cornick is just not showing that attacking instinct at all.

Disagree, one ball over the top for Sykes, one come short spin and open the play out to the right, a few passes round the box, etc. Gave it away a couple of times, which will be most people’s focus, rather than the “overall”. Wells was labouring a bit second half.  Reckon he might be carrying a knock.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

We have to remember that those people were sat stewing for 2 months and feel they have now been given some new ammunition.  They will then spin anything to be ‘terrible’ 

Ain’t that the truth.  BBCRB, Twitter, ditto.  Moan, moan.  No credit for a clean sheet, defending set pieces with a small side pretty well, etc. I thought 4213 was bomb-proof? Lordy, effing, Lordy.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

It was definitely a poor performance, probably made worse by the fact they're the worst team I've seen in the Championship this season, I mean at least when we played Wigan they looked up for it, Huddersfield looked like they set out to waste time within 15 minutes of the game started. I think the only reason they even got into the game was that they saw how we couldn't finish to save our lives. 

I thought it was a good performance, slightly disappointing result. In boxing we win on points.  Huddersfield were poor, lacked intensity, but this is a Warnock Huddersfield, not a Corberan one, and that has to be brought into consideration.

We might have been a bit slow with our passing, but look how congested they made it around the penalty area, no room at all.  They wanted us to play frantic, because then they could try and pick us off.  We showed patience, but we couldn’t find the goal that wins it.  We had some good chances.

Inevitably, King tired around 65-70 mins, and so did our dominance.  We still had an even say in the game as it drifted, just Huddersfield created the better goal scoring chance…we still created situations, but our execution was tired.

I would’ve brought OTC on at the 75 min mark.  A gamble because King was still good in certain situations positionally, but Diarra, who looked effing rubbish, started running past him.  It turned a game of dominance into one where we hung on a bit.

But 65-70 mins of dominating (I rarely use that term) is good in this division regardless of the opponent.

Huddersfield are physical, and that takes its toll over 90…and it showed.

I said earlier today I’d take the 0-0 we started with and although I’m surprised by the lack of goals, I’m pretty happy tonight.  45 points, up to 13th.  Not that I’m looking over our shoulder at all, but we are pretty much safe.  We may well limp up to the international break.  Injuries are the cause of that.  We’ve had a good 2023.

• Like 11
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Disagree, one ball over the top for Sykes, one come short spin and open the play out to the right, a few passes round the box, etc. Gave it away a couple of times, which will be most people’s focus, rather than the “overall”. Wells was labouring a bit second half.  Reckon he might be carrying a knock.

Ain’t that the truth.  BBCRB, Twitter, ditto.  Moan, moan.  No credit for a clean sheet, defending set pieces with a small side pretty well, etc. I thought 4213 was bomb-proof? Lordy, effing, Lordy.

I thought it was a good performance, slightly disappointing result. In boxing we win on points.  Huddersfield were poor, lacked intensity, but this is a Warnock Huddersfield, not a Corberan one, and that has to be brought into consideration.

We might have been a bit slow with our passing, but look how congested they made it around the penalty area, no room at all.  They wanted us to play frantic, because then they could try and pick us off.  We showed patience, but we couldn’t find the goal that wins it.  We had some good chances.

Inevitably, King tired around 65-70 mins, and so did our dominance.  We still had an even say in the game as it drifted, just Huddersfield created the better goal scoring chance…we still created situations, but our execution was tired.

I would’ve brought OTC on at the 75 min mark.  A gamble because King was still good in certain situations positionally, but Diarra, who looked effing rubbish, started running past him.  It turned a game of dominance into one where we hung on a bit.

But 65-70 mins of dominating (I rarely use that term) is good in this division regardless of the opponent.

I said earlier today I’d take the 0-0 we started with and although I’m surprised by the lack of goals, I’m pretty happy tonight.  45 points, up to 13th.  Not that I’m looking over our shoulder at all, but we are pretty much safe.  We may well limp up to the international break.  Injuries are the cause of that.  We’ve had a good 2023.

Good summary.

Interesting that Pearson said afterwards he didn’t expect King to last the 90 but “he had to”, which suggests to me he thought this wasn’t the right time & place to bring on Taylor-Clarke for a league debut.

Going to have to use him soon, possibly on Saturday.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Good summary.

Interesting that Pearson said afterwards he didn’t expect King to last the 90 but “he had to”, which suggests to me he thought this wasn’t the right time & place to bring on Taylor-Clarke for a league debut.

Going to have to use him soon, possibly on Saturday.

Is there a possible recall option for Kadji? Seen that hes been in a fee starting lineups for them.

16 minutes ago, Super said:

Fair reflection 

Game of opinions isn’t!

The reporter in Sky Sports News was hyper-excited and positive in his reports throughout the match. Concluded by saying it was likely the best 0-0 anyone is likely to see all season! 

Never seen quite the diversity of options of a match on OTIB either tbh. 

I’ll just content myself with another point in the bag. 

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep...........1 League defeat out of 12 is none too shabby considering injuries and the size of our squad?    Definitely glass half full for me. ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, MelksRed said:

Getting it out of Max's gloves before the opposition reset is an issue too. 

Agreed that it’s slow, but sometimes it’s the right thing to do when teams are attacking and you want to calm things down, last few minutes prime example tonight.

It’s when we break forward  and no one to pass too/sometimes pass is on and the ball is taken backwards and momentum is lost and opposition recover. The tempo is so slow in the final third. I like the style of football we are playing but against Huddersfield the space was there to run at them and put them under pressure. Second half we just didn’t do it effectively at all. 
Be interesting again blackpool sat, who will be better counter attacking than Huddersfield, who could have won that game tonight at the end tonight 

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Not sure throwing him on with another newbie is a good idea. Wouldn't mind Pearson staggering the forward subs so that we keep some of that pace up top because Cornick certainly doesn't have it 

Cornick is not an impact substitute for me. I think with a decent run of games he could be decent, but he needs to start. That chance bell had early in the game tonight he could have buried. How he gets that chance I just don’t know. He looked decent against Norwich and had he scored that one on one or squared it to mehmeti to tap into an empty net it could be a different story. Bringing him on chasing goals just isn’t working.

We aren’t scoring from open play at the moment anyway so I would start him sat against blackpool

Went tonight with a mate who's a Liverpool fan that went to their match on Sunday, talk about a step down in quality 2 days apart ?.

Huddersfield were absolutely dire, aimless long balls to nobody for most of the match, seemingly no plan, like 11 players in a trial match.  A frustrating match to  not win, but I had a feeling all week it was going to be that sort of game.