IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Ross McCrorie as well.  

As well as the players in the under 21's

We do need more goals from midfield,

That's if Scott stays or goes as he isnt much of a goalscorer and better at the defensive side of the game

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is he back yet then?

Thought he was more for cover at or with RB in mind anyway although depth and versatility is more than welcome.

If he has to play for any length of time in midfield we’re then very light at Right back. He can cover matches but can’t be a long term option.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

City & Bournemouth have been in discussions this week, it seems things have cooled off in the past 24hrs of so. Doesn't mean a deal still isn't close though, of course... 

Could the sticking point not simply be, we want our guaranteed (how it should be structured instalment wise is neither here nor there IMO) £25m, Bournemouth are trying to haggle down, lowball etc?

If we ever did get promoted and establish ourselves in the PL, based on this thread I dread to think how some of our fans will cope with the transfer element of it. because it'll be like this every window regarding ins and outs.

All parties involved are playing the game. That only intensifies with bigger amounts of money.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

If we ever did get promoted and establish ourselves in the PL, based on this thread I dread to think how some of our fans will cope with the transfer element of it. because it'll be like this every window regarding ins and outs.

All parties involved are playing the game. That only intensifies with bigger amounts of money.

Yes, I thought this the other day - God forbid we produce any more quality players, as there are some who couldn't cope on here.

Oh for the days when we had sh!te players no-one wanted - life was so much better! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, hinsleburg said:

Agree it was a different role but the formation was exactly the same, 3 in midfield with Weimann the furthest forward sometimes operating as a second striker and sometimes dropping deeper.

We need to be sensible, we aren't going to find anybody like Alex Scott, so we need to look at what we currently have available to us and adapt how we play. With any two from James, King, Williams, Knight and Naismith holding we can win the ball and get it forward quickly to our 'front 4'. 

So I don't think we will even try replacing Scott, I do think we will shift and adjust how we play and if that means we go back to utilising Weimann in that role again then I'm all for it. We have the pace in wide areas and the finishers up front so don't think we need a 'creative 10' and think the way Weimann is able to play that role, arrive late into the box and find space to score will be a much more effective output then trying to find Alex Scott 2.0

Amen, brother.

Nige talked about different ways he’s played the “midfield three” in preseason…that will have been for a reason…different combos, different shapes / patterns of play.

I referenced it in my preseason preview I wrote:

https://medium.com/@davefevs/bristol-city-pre-season-2023-24-fc862b965c6f .

There are many ways to skin a cat.

Let’s not forget that the majority of Scott’s minutes last season came as a conventional midfielder, not as a no10. That’s not to say he didn’t play an attacking role, he just did it from deeper.

We won’t replace Alex Scott the player and his ability like for like, but we can bring in a midfielder that fits the rest of the midfield, the rest of the team.

I do think we will bring in a midfielder if / when Scott goes, but I’m not expecting that player to be the next-Scott.  It’s kinda why I wanted Knight, because he wasn’t Scott like, but I thought he’d compliment what we have.

53 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

As well as the players in the under 21's

We do need more goals from midfield,

That's if Scott stays or goes as he isnt much of a goalscorer and better at the defensive side of the game

Facetious comment…we need more goals and less conceded.  Although Nige says what you’ve stated above, he has also said that the goals scored by WSM in 21-22 was due to team style.  I doubt he’d moan too much if our midfielders didn’t get many, but our CBs got a good few instead.

23 minutes ago, soultrader said:

PAGE 150 

@Rudolf Hucker

I accept PayPal

?

image.png.89e8d9c3dad9c4e57e2a8d4398d1d5c9.png

Bournemouth tried credit card, but our website wouldn’t accept it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

We get to 150 pages, we go through City playing hardball for an acceptable offer, Bournemouth step up to the plate and Alex says 'Nah! I don't fancy it' 

Let’s hope so

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

What do we do about Saturday IF a deal hasn't been completed? 

Do we risk a 25 million pound asset? Will his head be in the right place if a deal is close? 

We pick the best team to win the game, because we want promotion, simples

• Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Do we risk a 25 million pound asset? Will his head be in the right place if a deal is close? 

No brainer. Play him.

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I genuinely find it hard to believe he’s not going somewhere better than Bournemouth. 

Trouble is, are we all a bit biased because he is a City player?

I would say that it is very telling that the calibre of clubs showing an interest show where he is likely to move to

9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

100% play him, unless a deal is agreed and it is just awaiting a signing

3 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Wtf you on about he is as good going forward as defending.... 

The comment you replied to said he wasn't "much of a goal scorer" - stats back that up

Just now, phantom said:

Trouble is, are we all a bit biased because he is a City player?

I would say that it is very telling that the calibre of clubs showing an interest show where he is likely to move to

100% play him, unless a deal is agreed and it is just awaiting a signing

The comment you replied to said he wasn't "much of a goal scorer" - stats back that up

My mistake phants and monkeh.. I thought he meant scott..... 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

City & Bournemouth have been in discussions this week, it seems things have cooled off in the past 24hrs of so. Doesn't mean a deal still isn't close though, of course... 

@Kid in the Riot is it just Wolves and Bournemouth in for him? Rumours of Spurs, West Ham, Brighton, Inter Milan and Liverpool at some points over the last few months?

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Just to put into perspective the money that we're talking about (well, obviously not me and @soultrader) a £25m stack of newly minted £20 notes would be 141.25mtrs or 463.419ft high. That's a serious amount of money. Pub anyone?

How does that convert into London Double Deckers/Swimming Pools?

2 hours ago, hinsleburg said:

Agree it was a different role but the formation was exactly the same, 3 in midfield with Weimann the furthest forward sometimes operating as a second striker and sometimes dropping deeper.

We need to be sensible, we aren't going to find anybody like Alex Scott, so we need to look at what we currently have available to us and adapt how we play. With any two from James, King, Williams, Knight and Naismith holding we can win the ball and get it forward quickly to our 'front 4'. 

So I don't think we will even try replacing Scott, I do think we will shift and adjust how we play and if that means we go back to utilising Weimann in that role again then I'm all for it. We have the pace in wide areas and the finishers up front so don't think we need a 'creative 10' and think the way Weimann is able to play that role, arrive late into the box and find space to score will be a much more effective output then trying to find Alex Scott 2.0

This.

FWIW if Scott goes I do think we will look at bringing in a project, a midfielder with L1 or maybe even L2 experience who is a bit like George Tanner was when he signed, someone for the medium term who could possibly still do a job now.

We would still have James (plays 33-35 games a season on average, a top player), Knight, who is a certainty to start, Williams whose availability has improved & so would probably play a similar amount to James, plus King who is ostensibly cover for those named above.

If we bring in a CB before the end of August I would also see Naismith & McCrorie as possibles, the former certainly would give us creativity with his passing. McCrorie has definitely played as a DM & if Tanner starts well he’s going to find it very difficult to take his place.

Then we have Weimann who as you say is ideal for the 10 role, especially when we already have 6 others competing for the 3 front places.

Finally Benarous who we need to be careful with after 2 ACLs but could come back & be a very valuable midfield squad option.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This.

FWIW if Scott goes I do think we will look at bringing in a project, a midfielder with L1 or maybe even L2 experience who is a bit like George Tanner was when he signed, someone for the medium term who could possibly still do a job now.

We would still have James (plays 33-35 games a season on average, a top player), Knight, who is a certainty to start, Williams whose availability has improved & so would probably play a similar amount to James, plus King who is ostensibly cover for those named above.

If we bring in a CB before the end of August I would also see Naismith & McCrorie as possibles, the former certainly would give us creativity with his passing. McCrorie has definitely played as a DM & if Tanner starts well he’s going to find it very difficult to take his place.

Then we have Weimann who as you say is ideal for the 10 role, especially when we already have 6 others competing for the 3 front places.

Finally Benarous who we need to be careful with after 2 ACLs but could come back & be a very valuable midfield squad option.

In other words, if we lose Scott, we won’t be as good. The team will be based on has beens , crocks , and youth to flog of as soon as they appear to be able to kick a ball in the right direction.

Looking forward to seeing Alex against Preston on Saturday ?⚽

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Hmmm 1