IGNORED

Plymouth.

stephenkibby.

Without playing this week promotion looking nearer ,Sheff Wed have picked up 2 points in 4 games Barnsley beat at Exeter.

They have only one team in the top half to play,in the top two all season deserve to go up.

Have sold 38.000 for Wembley on Sunday. (Nearly Gas levels) Similar season to us in 2015.

I for one would welcome them back, always enjoyed the atmosphere in games against them. Have to say tho i lived in Devon for many years and had mates that supported them. Might not appeal to most on here.

• Like 12

Got to be favourites for top 2 now, great effort.

6 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Have sold 38.000 for Wembley on Sunday. (Nearly Gas levels)

But the G*s managed to take 40k* without opening the top tier , bet Plymouth don't do that. :thumbsup:

*in their dreams 

Edited by 1960maaan

Even the most optimistic Argyle fan wouldn’t have expected Wednesday, who were unbeaten back to October before the international break, to pick up one point in 3 away games, especially when considering 2 of them were Forest Green & Cheltenham.

Basically if they match Wednesday & Ipswich’s results from here they’re up.

Really hope they do it.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

One for those who obsess over trophies/honours (what it’s all about at the end of the day!), if they win League 1 they will be the club to have done so most in English history (taking League 1 to be the third tier - in any of its previous guises). It’d be their fifth title, taking them ahead of a handful of teams on 4, ourselves included. 

• Like 2

On 11th March Sheffield Wednesday won to go top on the league with 2 games in hand. Tonight they've played their second game in hand and sit 2nd having only picked up 2 points out of 12. It's crazy how quickly things can change. Totally the wrong time to be having that run in form.

• Like 1

Always lively against Plymouth, I’ve always got the impression they care about us more than we do about them though. Wouldn’t class games against them as derbies as such but they always have a bit of needle about them certainly off the pitch aswell as on it..

Be interesting to see how they do next season if they come up, i think the gulf between League 1 and the Championship is as big now as it’s ever been.

It almost seems to be the norm for clubs to come up and either go straight back down or struggle. They will need some serious investment if they want to be competitive at this level. Good luck to them though.

Edited by Bris Red

I wouldn't be surprised if the Cheltenham game is actually the turning point for Wednesday. They were 2-0 down and salvaged a point, which will feel like a win, particularly as Barnsley lost on Tuesday. 

I'm going to make a rash prediction that Wednesday beat Lincoln 3-0 and eventually pip Plymouth to the title.

I was at the Cheltenham v Weds match tonight. 
It was a thoroughly enjoyable game of football and played in a good atmos - from both sets of fans. 
Chelts really gave Weds a scare here. Deserved the 2 goal lead and I was a bit gutted to see them let it slip. 
Alfie May was fantastic tonight. Works so so hard and is a total pest. 
I think Mozo could be right - Wednesday’s comeback late in this game could give them a boost, whereas at 70 mins they were looking dead and buried and short of ideas. 
Flint came on to nod in their first. Bakinson started but i didn’t even realise until about 30 minutes in!! I’m certain there were boos from the Weds fans when he got subbed too!! And Hunt was average and went off injured near the end. 

Whilst I was sad for Chelts to concede the lead, it was also tinged with a happiness that this 1 point could keep Ipswich down!! 

I'm not a fan of Plymouth. With the exception of about 2% of its land mass it's grimmer than a 19th Century fairy tale. 

Also, I hate the way its fans behave on the very occasional times they happen to be in the same division as us. All this "Argyle the Pride of the West Country" shite. 

You aren't even in the West Country. You're the wrong side of the Fosse Way. Get back to West Wales, you green-clad clowns. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 13
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm not a fan of Plymouth. With the exception of about 2% of its land mass it's grimmer than a 19th Century fairy tale. 

Also, I hate the way its fans behave on the very occasional times they happen to be in the same division as us. All this "Argyle the Pride of the West Country" shite. 

You aren't even in the West Country. You're the wrong side of the Fosse Way. Get back to West Wales, you green-clad clowns. 

The one good thing I would say about Plymouth is their fans really hate the gas.  And when I say really hate, I mean really hate.

• Like 4

Always liked Plymouth, late 20s for context, passionate well supported team. Whenever we’ve had cup games I’ve had a nose on their forums and always seem pretty grounded and knowledgeable, bar a few but that’s the same everywhere.

Can’t say I feel any rivalry but again maybe that’s an age thing, without sounding patronising (he says as he’s about to be patronising), I’m sure if they had been above us for x amount of years a fair few of our fans would be hostile when we played them.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Always liked Plymouth, late 20s for context, passionate well supported team. Whenever we’ve had cup games I’ve had a nose on their forums and always seem pretty grounded and knowledgeable, bar a few but that’s the same everywhere.

Can’t say I feel any rivalry but again maybe that’s an age thing, without sounding patronising (he says as he’s about to be patronising), I’m sure if they had been above us for x amount of years a fair few of our fans would be hostile when we played them.

There is certainly some history between us and them.

3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

*************************************** POP *************************************

(blast from the past for those who remember!) 

Totally!

I get the comments about it not being a Derby for us (even Brentford is nearer, FFS) but unless they start playing in France we’re still their nearest big club & so I get why it’s a big deal to them & their away support (which is phenomenal anyway) would be huge in BS3 for a Championship game.

We already play a shedload of Northern sides, personally I can live without playing all of Wigan, Blackpool, Blackburn, Preston, Rotherham & Hull for having another game against a West Country team.

No surprise that they really hate Rovers, let’s face it, who doesn’t?

• Like 16

We have a healthy rivalry with both Plymouth and Swindon when they're in our Leagues. Nothing too volatile or strong, just good banter usually and a bit of an edge to the matches.

FWIW I've not minded Plymouth for a few years now, they've had their woeful years in League 2's doldrums doing nothing, be good to see them back in the Championship for a match against us. Also would be a good away day

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Quite. Plymouth played the g*s the same day as we travelled to Reading on the train. Lots of Plymouth in the Knights Templar and apart from a few bellend "youth" outside, they were wishing us all the best for the day and we obviously reciprocated. Great day out for us even though, with sad predictability, City lost. Would be great to see them back in the Championship at a full Ashton Gate. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We already play a shedload of Northern sides, personally I can live without playing all of Wigan, Blackpool, Blackburn, Preston, Rotherham & Hull for having another game against a West Country team.

I don’t particularly like Plymouth and I despise Cardiff but I’d rather be in the same division as them over Wigan, Huddersfield, Barnsley or any other Northern club that we invariably have to play away on a Tuesday night.

Better atmospheres both home and away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Totally!

I get the comments about it not being a Derby for us (even Brentford is nearer, FFS) but unless they start playing in France we’re still their nearest big club & so I get why it’s a big deal to them & their away support (which is phenomenal anyway) would be huge in BS3 for a Championship game.

When I lived up near Manchester, i realised how many pro clubs are so near to one another. Being up North certainly gives you plenty of easy options to visit grounds.

In an ideal world, and not taking into account leagues, what are the nearest and easiest professional teams to travel to from Bristol?

Gas, Newport, Cardiff, FGR, Cheltenham, Yeovil, Swindon....

This map gives a good idea.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

It always feels entirely un-natural setting off for an away game heading south. 

I always remember driving to Yeovil on a night the season that we ran away with the league under Cotts.

Going through Shepton Mallet for a League One game that was about a further 20 miles away was pretty surreal.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I hope they come up. And go straight back down again (perhaps their owner will also be "surprised" by the wages demanded in the Championship)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, spudski said:

When I lived up near Manchester, i realised how many pro clubs are so near to one another. Being up North certainly gives you plenty of easy options to visit grounds.

In an ideal world, and not taking into account leagues, what are the nearest and easiest professional teams to travel to from Bristol?

Gas, Newport, Cardiff, FGR, Cheltenham, Yeovil, Swindon....

This map gives a good idea.

Nice map but Ricardo isn't familiar with London....he's got Chelsea and Millwall mixed up,  Millwall are shown in West London! and Chelsea are indicated to be in the Isle of Dogs (north of the river) where the actual Millwall docks are, rather than Bermondsey. (which is wrong anyway)

Edited by CodeRed
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bris Red said:

Always lively against Plymouth, I’ve always got the impression they care about us more than we do about them though. Wouldn’t class games against them as derbies as such but they always have a bit of needle about them certainly off the pitch aswell as on it..

Be interesting to see how they do next season if they come up, i think the gulf between League 1 and the Championship is as big now as it’s ever been.

It almost seems to be the norm for clubs to come up and either go straight back down or struggle. They will need some serious investment if they want to be competitive at this level. Good luck to them though.

But for them it is a derby pretty much. Bar Exeter/Torquay we are their closest club so you can see why for them a game against us is a big deal. 

Really looking forward to having them back in the same league as us. Always enjoy games against them as can guarantee that both away ends will sell out.