IGNORED

Plymouth.

stephenkibby.

1 hour ago, CiderJar said:

Trouble at Swindon in 1981

On the subject of Plymouth.... POP!!!!

Good to see Jan Möller with his great throws and kicks. Williams of Swindon apparently "unlucky to be booked" for a two footed lunge on 12 minutes. ?

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Good to see Jan Möller with his great throws and kicks. Williams of Swindon apparently "unlucky to be booked" for a two footed lunge on 12 minutes. ?

Indeed! I also get very nostalgic when I hear the "Jimmy Mann, Jimmy Mann, Jimmy Mann!" chant at every free kick, even when they are most likely to get fired straight into the wall. 

50 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The size of a city or town had only a minor relationship with the standard of football from the club before Prem arrived. So today's football is dominated by the big city clubs who have accumulated mega millionaires to buy their glory.

As for the rest of us, it's how the football club is run that determines the success. Clearly the south west of England is lacking in determiniion to succeed. Clubs from Southampton, Brighton, Bournemouth, Norwich, Ipswich, Nottingham, Sunderland, Birmingham, Stoke, Sheffield, Portsmouth and others have all been much more successful than City, Rovers and Plymouth.

I leave the best example till last. Burnley is smaller than Weston Super Mare yet they have spent more time in the top tier than a helluva lot of other bigger towns/cities. Admittedly there is a lot less to do in a total dump like Burnley than Weston, Bristol and Plymouth!

WSM bigger than Burnley, well that surprised me, which makes their success even more amazing and only makes me sad that we cannot seem to emulate it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pillred said:

WSM bigger than Burnley, well that surprised me, which makes their success even more amazing and only makes me sad that we cannot seem to emulate it. 

Surprised me too. Burnley is a proper football town tho, sure I read that about 20 percent of the population regularly attend the football.

2 hours ago, CiderJar said:

Thanks for posting that. Can't remember seeing it before. 

Was only talking about Gary Williams on another thread recently. 

Oddly...Swindon and City both had a Gary Williams playing at LB that day. 

That can't happen very often. 

White, black and a dash of red will always be a City away kit imo. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CiderJar said:

This was the first away game I drove to, passed my test 2 days before.

I had been waiting years to have my own car and be in charge of what games I could attend instead of relying on buses and trains as I lived in West Somerset.

Finally at 17 I passed my test………just as the club was in the biggest doldrums in it’s history.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Burnley is smaller than Weston Super Mare yet they have spent more time in the top tier than a helluva lot of other bigger towns/cities. Admittedly there is a lot less to do in a total dump like Burnley than Weston, Bristol and Plymouth!

Aaah but have they got a pier that burned down in mysterious circumstances . . . 

2 hours ago, pillred said:

2 hours ago, weepywall said:

Surprised me too. Burnley is a proper football town tho, sure I read that about 20 percent of the population regularly attend the football.

Sorry I was going on old figures. Current is Burnley at circa 94,000 and WSM at 84,000.

Burnley had about 20K increase over last 20 years as I remember it same as Shrewsbury at circa 76,000. WSM expected to be over 100K by 2030.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Thanks for posting that. Can't remember seeing it before. 

Was only talking about Gary Williams on another thread recently. 

Oddly...Swindon and City both had a Gary Williams playing at LB that day. 

That can't happen very often. 

White, black and a dash of red will always be a City away kit imo. 

Mark Hughes v Mark Hughes in a pre-season match against Man Utd way back was another.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

What a game that was Dave, there was two gary stevens in the England squad for the 86 world cup, 

There was a Trevor Stephen and a Gary Stephens in the same England team, I was on holiday in Greece when a game was played and televised in the local bar with Greek commentary. The only bit we could understand were the players names and any time these two passed to each other the commentators seemed to find it highly amusing and giggled away.

"Stephens ........ Stephen" ?

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

There was a Trevor Stephen and a Gary Stephens in the same England team, I was on holiday in Greece when a game was played and televised in the local bar with Greek commentary. The only bit we could understand were the players names and any time these two passed to each other the commentators seemed to find it highly amusing and giggled away.

"Stephens ........ Stephen" ?

There was Gary Stevens (Everton RB) and Gary Stevens (Spurs CM).  Both appeared for England in 86 WC, Morocco and Paraguay matches

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Sorry I was going on old figures. Current is Burnley at circa 94,000 and WSM at 84,000.

Burnley had about 20K increase over last 20 years as I remember it same as Shrewsbury at circa 76,000. WSM expected to be over 100K by 2030.

I`m not surprised Burnley`s population has gone up such a lot. It`s probably one of the few places left in England where anyone can afford a house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 30/03/2023 at 14:13, Robbored said:

Plymouth is lovely  My daughter was at uni there and I used to visit her regularly. I knew Plymouth pretty well before she went there and it’s a great place..

We almost moved there with work about 30 years ago but circumstances at that time dictated that we ended up not going

A more balanced view of the place! I was born in plumduff and moved up here when I married a lovely young lady from Bedminster?, it's a bit of a story as to why I support City!

Like any town/city it does have it's rough areas 

It'll funny to hear the chant 'you dirty northern b@5tards' again?

They also have an inbuilt hatred towards Swindon as a supporter was killed during a fight there in 87.

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Massive win for the Janners, 1-1 with 5 minutes to go & they’re down to third, 2 goals later & they’re top again, game in hand on Wednesday, too.

Some character shown going a goal down after the Wembley thrashing.

• Like 1

Massive win for them today after such a poor result last week.

For those who think they’ve blown automatic, after playing Charlton at home today Ipswich visit Peterborough then Barnsley.

Let’s see what the table looks like then.

• Like 1