IGNORED

Plymouth.

stephenkibby.

Talking about Devon football. 

Was out walking from my partner’s house with the hound yesterday. Met a bloke, as you do down here, with a Bristol City jacket on. Got chatting, became apparent …Mark Ashton’s father!  

Anyhow, by the end of the chat he had sold me a dozen Championship-ready footballers for a bargain price. If anyone from the Devon area wants to borrow them let me know. 

Coincidentally, there’s an Ipswich Town supporting lady I bump into quite frequently down here. As you do, I chatted to her about our ex-CEO. Somewhat alarmingly during the chat with MAs father, I found that he has also chatted to her. I just want to place on record now, for the benefit of certainty, that I think Mark Ashton is the most wonderful CEO that City had the privilege of employing, and our loss is very much Ipswich’s gain. 

• Haha 6

31 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Talking about Devon football. 

Was out walking from my partner’s house with the hound yesterday. Met a bloke, as you do down here, with a Bristol City jacket on. Got chatting, became apparent …Mark Ashton’s father!  

Anyhow, by the end of the chat he had sold me a dozen Championship-ready footballers for a bargain price. If anyone from the Devon area wants to borrow them let me know. 

Coincidentally, there’s an Ipswich Town supporting lady I bump into quite frequently down here. As you do, I chatted to her about our ex-CEO. Somewhat alarmingly during the chat with MAs father, I found that he has also chatted to her. I just want to place on record now, for the benefit of certainty, that I think Mark Ashton is the most wonderful CEO that City had the privilege of employing, and our loss is very much Ipswich’s gain. 

The Tractor Boys have seen thru him yet - it took us quite a while to realise what he was truly like. Comments like “it’s communication not consultation” went down like a lead balloon with the SC&T. 

Memories of Argyle come back with Bill Shortt in goal, Jumbo Chisholm centre half, Maurice Tadman centre forward and Gordon Astall on the wing. Saw them play Hull City with Raich Carter as player manager. Must have been late forties/ early fifties, where have all the years gone?

On 29/03/2023 at 22:18, BCFCGav said:

I went to uni in Plymouth so it’d be great for me personally, I know the city well. That’d be a very fun away day. Hope they do it.

Same here. I was there during the amazing seasons they had at the beginning of the 2000's..it was mental! Looking forward to going back down there next season

36 minutes ago, GingerClyde said:

Same here. I was there during the amazing seasons they had at the beginning of the 2000's..it was mental! Looking forward to going back down there next season

I was there more recently - don’t recall them doing much of note during my 4 years! But as you say it’ll be great to get back to the City. I was excited to go back to my old drinking spots - before remembering I’m not a 20 year old student anymore and would look very out of place ?

8 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

I was there more recently - don’t recall them doing much of note during my 4 years! But as you say it’ll be great to get back to the City. I was excited to go back to my old drinking spots - before remembering I’m not a 20 year old student anymore and would look very out of place ?

And probably not allowed in them as city are playing there that day 

• Haha 1

A brilliant couple of weeks if you`re a Plymouth fan. Still joint top after Wednesday have played three games they would have expected to win and only got two points from. I bet most of the janners wouldn`t have hoped for that even in their wildest dreams. Ipswich & Barnsley still coming on strong though - that defeat at Exeter on Tuesday doesn`t seem to have knocked them back.

20 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Taking my nephew to Wembley tomorrow - he’s a PAFC ST holder…..going to be nice to go to Wembley and not be worried about the result ?

As I keep saying to him….just hope you get promoted as it will be nice to go to an away game which is closer to a home game for me ??

They`ve sold out 38k tickets I believe? Only about half of what the s*gs would take but impressive nonetheless..................................

A proper final between two proper teams, I`m looking forward to watching it.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2023 at 11:18, italian dave said:

It always feels entirely un-natural setting off for an away game heading south. 

always funny when they sing "you dirty northern barstewards"

always funny when they sing "you dirty northern barstewards"

always funny when they sing "you dirty northern bar stewards"

always funny when they sing "you dirty northern bar stewards"

always funny when they sing "you dirty northern barsXXXXX"

• Haha 1

always funny when they sing "you dirty northern bXXXXX"

always funny when they sing "you dirty northern XXXXXXXXX"

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

Argyle really dislike us, and would never wish us well. I’d prefer them to stay down to be honest, but as a team they’ve been remarkably consistent and you can’t argue that they’d deserve it if they finish the job.

Your right they don’t.. funny as they haven’t been relevant to us since about 2009. We have overtaken them both on and off the pitch massively since the early 2000’s so it wouldn’t bother me either way if they came up to be honest. Certainly don’t view them as a threat these days!

12 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Taking my nephew to Wembley tomorrow - he’s a PAFC ST holder…..going to be nice to go to Wembley and not be worried about the result ?

As I keep saying to him….just hope you get promoted as it will be nice to go to an away game which is closer to a home game for me ??

Are you driving a minibus for them?

On 30/03/2023 at 20:53, TDarwall said:

My 1st ever away game was meant to be Argyle away. Got to the outskirts of Plymouth & the coach turned around as the game had been called off. The rearranged fixture was midweek, they needed to win for promotion & we got stuffed 4 -0.  Think Tynan got a hat trick. Naively I was impressed with our away following, till they scored & it was clear loads of their fans who couldn't get tickets were in our end! 

Never been to home park but i always envision tommy tynan scoring against us when i think of plymouth,, a devon david kelly!

• Like 1

Lost count of how many times I've been there, usually had a good day/weekend.
One game sticks out. Cup defeat bloody cold, not sure if it was a night game or just seemed like it. 
After we lost (3-1 ?) we were kept in for a bit and taken around/across the pitch to get out. After slagging anyone off for poor control during the game, it was all we could do to keep out feet walking on the pitch. 
One of those places I can't remember ever seeing us win. 

Just looked and I think it was FA Cup replay on a Monday in January . 0-0 FT 3-1 AET

About 19 minutes in .

Edited by 1960maaan

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Lost count of how many times I've been there, usually had a good day/weekend.
One game sticks out. Cup defeat bloody cold, not sure if it was a night game or just seemed like it. 
After we lost (3-1 ?) we were kept in for a bit and taken around/across the pitch to get out. After slagging anyone off for poor control during the game, it was all we could do to keep out feet walking on the pitch. 
One of those places I can't remember ever seeing us win. 

Just looked and I think it was FA Cup replay on a Monday in January . 0-0 FT 3-1 AET

About 19 minutes in .

We hut the post in about the 93rd minute IIRC, You`re right though, we got walked across the pitch afterwards and it was bloody slippy.

• Like 1

On 31/03/2023 at 18:18, Lanterne Rouge said:

Just watching the build up to the Pizza trophy final on Westcountry TV and it just occurred to me that if Plymouth win it and win League 1 would they be the only club other than us to do that double?

Not sure,  but I think Brum did Promotion and Trophy before us. Rotherham last season.

But as you suggest we won League 1 and the trophy.

• Thanks 1