IGNORED

Whos going down?

OliOTIB

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Either Warnock gets a draw at Sheffield United or it's winner take all at Huddersfield on Monday. Well done Rotherham. I don't think anyone will be crying too much if Reading drop.................

Huddersfield at home to Sheffield.

32 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Either Warnock gets a draw at Sheffield United or it's winner take all at Huddersfield on Monday. Well done Rotherham. I don't think anyone will be crying too much if Reading drop.................

Not if they only lose by one goal to Sheffield. A draw at home to Reading will be enough. 

Edited by Sir Geoff
bolded text

Fair play to Rotherham, relegated straight back down the last 2 times they’ve come up to the Championship (and then immediately promoted again). Despite that yo-yo-ing they’re a  pretty consistent team, since 2013/14 their finishing positions in the league pyramid have been: 48, 41, 41, 44, 48, 42, 46, 43, 46 and this season 39th with a game to go. Whilst some teams just improve or get worse over time, whether or not you get the thrills and spills of regular promotion and relegation, can be down just to whether your ‘reversion to the mean’ falls mid table (us in recent times) or closer to the bottom/top of a league. 

Warne might be thinking looking at their January business "Why did they never back me like that, or that profile of players". Never dis they sign or loan the range and they're not top calibre of Wright, Hjelde, Morrison, Blackett, Fosu and Hugill in one window under Warne. Granted Barlaser sold and a loanee or 2 left but some of those wwre replacing some who left after promotion.

However well done Rotherham, survival against the odds.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

Wigan will be starting the new season on a minus points score, -4 deduction announced

Is there a real chance they might not even start the season?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65646562

And it could be more if the suspended element is activated. Given that this is a club that came out of administration then iirc ran up big losses to get out of League 1 (was the EFL asleep at the wheel again?) there must be some doubt about their future.

In addition to the four there is another element although it may have been a suspended deduction.

In the sense that another 3 was deducted from last season's total. So you can deduct points after the League season has ended. I accept suspended vs new do differ and this could be the case here. I just refall Sheffield Wednesday 2020 and Derby 2021 there was some debate over this.

Rotherham obviously confirmed, Huddersfield look down and out. 

Birmingham have improved, and have to play huddersfield tomorrow in a HUGE six pointer, then have to play in form Norwich, who still have the play offs to play for. Expecting that to come down to the final day.

Shef Wed have West brom and Sunderland, two tough games.

Argyle have Millwall away, and Hull at home. Two difficult games, The Den is a tough place to go regardless of form of Millwall.

Still potential for Huddersfield to stay up thanks to a better GD than Wednesday - if they win tomorrow, could still be in it.

Money On?

7 hours ago, OliOTIB said:

Rotherham obviously confirmed, Huddersfield look down and out. 

Birmingham have improved, and have to play huddersfield tomorrow in a HUGE six pointer, then have to play in form Norwich, who still have the play offs to play for. Expecting that to come down to the final day.

Shef Wed have West brom and Sunderland, two tough games.

Argyle have Millwall away, and Hull at home. Two difficult games, The Den is a tough place to go regardless of form of Millwall.

Still potential for Huddersfield to stay up thanks to a better GD than Wednesday - if they win tomorrow, could still be in it.

Money On?

I said this a week or so ago and I don't think much has changed.

"Birmingham's last game will likely have nothing on it for Norwich, and they may even rest up ahead of the playoffs.

Huddersfield have a horrid last two games. Fail to beat Birmingham and I think they're in big trouble.

But the massive variable is, as you say, that game between Huddersfield and Birmingham. If that goes the other way then Huddersfield probably stay up and Birmingham go down."

I'd keep my money in my pocket personally - but I always do.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

Huddersfield look nailed on to me, 1 point from the last 9 available & taken a couple of hammerings.

If they win today they could well drag Birmingham down with them.

Sheffield Wednesday’s last 2 look tough, so can’t see beyond them or Birmingham to join Huddersfield, depending on their result today.

• Like 1

• Admin

There's a potentially crazy situation in the relegation battle in league 2

Bear with me on this.... 

If Sutton Utd were to win 3-0 this afternoon at MK Dons, and Colchester were to lose 1-0 at home to Crewe they would both finish on the same points, same goal difference and same goals scored 

The next decider - head to head results - well they drew both league matches 1-1

So it then goes to the most wins, Colchester have won 11 games and Sutton only 10

There are other score permutations but need the same swing in goal difference 

Screenshot_20240427_073929_Flashscore.jpg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Huddersfield look nailed on to me, 1 point from the last 9 available & taken a couple of hammerings.

If they win today they could well drag Birmingham down with them.

Sheffield Wednesday’s last 2 look tough, so can’t see beyond them or Birmingham to join Huddersfield, depending on their result today.

Largely I agree. I think Huddersfield have to at least get a draw today. They have to force Birmingham to require a result against Norwich on the last day.

Playoffs are likely going to be decided today. Norwich have a much easier game home to Swansea than Hull do hosting Ipswich. A draw is enough for Norwich if Hull lose as well. I think Norwich will seal 6th today.

That means Norwich v Birmingham is likely a dead rubber unless Huddersfield force the question.

I agree that it's Birmingham/Huddersfield/Sheff Wed competing for one safe spot.

Although having said that there is a (pretty unlikely) scenario where Plymouth are in 22nd tonight. That's the wildcard outcome that would really make next weekend interesting.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It’s a funny old game.. when we drew 1-1 at their place I thought that they were easily the worst team that we had played so far… At our place recently we were lucky to get a point as they were easily the better side, that was their one point in the last available nine keeping our unbelievable unbeaten run intact.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Largely I agree. I think Huddersfield have to at least get a draw today. They have to force Birmingham to require a result against Norwich on the last day.

Playoffs are likely going to be decided today. Norwich have a much easier game home to Swansea than Hull do hosting Ipswich. A draw is enough for Norwich if Hull lose as well. I think Norwich will seal 6th today.

That means Norwich v Birmingham is likely a dead rubber unless Huddersfield force the question.

I agree that it's Birmingham/Huddersfield/Sheff Wed competing for one safe spot.

Although having said that there is a (pretty unlikely) scenario where Plymouth are in 22nd tonight. That's the wildcard outcome that would really make next weekend interesting.

The other twist in the Norwich/Hull situation is that Norwich will have played by the time Hull kick off so they will know what`s happened.

• Like 1