IGNORED

Who's Coming Down?

Port Said Red

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

Considering they have still to play Man City, Newcastle and Spurs, you may well be right. That game they have against Leicester is huge.

Tottenham strike me as a bit rudderless, sacked Conte without a plan or a vast change so maybe teams in the bottom third won't mind playing them as much as they should.

They (Tottenham) beat Brighton but were very fortunate to do so. Probably should have lost. Lost v Bournemouth at home.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

How delightful to see Chelsea craning their obnoxious necks as they look up the table at Brentford (ffs!), Fulham (!) and Brighton, and Liverpool right in amongst those three, doing their best to rise above them.

How sobering to recall the years we were competing with Brentford, Fulham and Brighton at both the level we are now, and the one below.

Fulham were a money club under Al Fayed at a time of no FFP and have had the benefit of Parachute Payments or PL cash every year since 2001-02. Thereby locking in a level of advantage.

Brighton deserve more credit for their rise but weren't shy of spending a few quid-  both on facilities and the squad. In 2010-11 Brighton were promoted from the 3rd tier on gates of 6-7.5k.

That same year they moved to the8r current ground- as luck would have it new ground first season wad in the Championship correctly following a promotion. They capitalised brilliantly in building and their gates went up by a factor of 2.5-3.

You cannot underestimate the benefit of momentum in thay regard. Think their turnover went up by a similar ratio, this did not happen to us on our return in 2014-15 to 2015-16...check the accounts. The attendances.

Partially as the rebuild was still ongoing, the Lansdown didn't open until 2016-17. At time of promotion we were also still as with the rest of the League still bound by the one year assessment period which if overspending and missing could have led to an embargo. Brighton in 2010-11 were on an upward curve and FFP was not yet quite a thing. We were slipping at this time.

Plus as their revenue grew so did their clout. Poyet was the one who started it off, Hughton the one who finished it off. Had a couple of others, managerially then probably ups and downs.

Brentford. They are fairly miraculous in many ways. Surely punching majorly above their weight in many regards- Good luck to them.

Fantastic at trading and the correct managers too- 4-3-3 they were set on for quire some time, signed lots of European players and for years it was more common overseas than here...did they did the system to the players, the players to the system or a bit of both? We were built for it IMO in the Johnson era or a lot of it but he was not a fan. He very seldom used it but I wonder when I look back...Weimann central, Eliasson and Paterson in wider roles. Kalas and Baker at the back, perhaps  Benkovic for a slightly higher line. Diedhiou in reserve...we had depth for sure.

Nagy, Massengo, Brownhill in a bona fide CM 3 while awaiting Korey and his return, granted when Brownhill goes you lose a great player but Wells flanked by Weimann and Eliasson in a fluid front 3, perm 2 from Nagy, Henriksen, Massengo to go alongside Smith....it's not bad! With players like one of Henriksen, Nagy, Massengo in reserve, Paterson in reserve, Diedhiou in reserve, one of Baker and Benkovic in reserve plus Williams of course. Choice of Maenpaa and Bentley in goal!

Palmer? Wouldn't play him unless it's with a solid 4-3 base behind and Wells and Weimann paired in front. Freeish role for him.

It's not a full explanation but each case certainly had unique factors .

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 minutes ago, Super said:

As funny as it would be to see Forest and Leeds come down won't it just make next year more tough or doesn't it make much difference?

Cooper will be gone and so will most of their current crop of players I suspect. Can see Forest returning to their basket case status.

Leeds will be a different proposition though 

Sort of hoping Leicester come down. Should be a decent away day at a new ground.

24 minutes ago, Super said:

As funny as it would be to see Forest and Leeds come down won't it just make next year more tough or doesn't it make much difference?

Was thinking about just that the other day. Obviously a lot of changes in the squads will happen to whoever comes down, I suspect, especially at Forest. I really don’t see them staying up, I actually expected Cooper to be gone after the United game but I doubt he will last much longer, which would be a stupid decision assuming they do go down.

I hear that things financially are not all well at Leeds so lots of changes in personnel there I suspect. 

I think Everton are in deep trouble and if they do come down I suspect they would stroll the league next year with a manager who knows how to get promoted. 

Southampton are down, my guess just now, of course it may change , is that Forest and Everton will be joining them. 

• Like 1

Everton drawing 0-0 today and Leicester winning puts Everton in the relegation zone. The next 6 games involve Man C home, and Brighton & Newcastle away , not many points there. Away to Wolves & Leicester and last game of the season home to Bournemouth. With how they've been playing I can see them getting much more than 4 points*, relegation has to be a real threat. In a very selfish mind, I would love them to come down just to see City there before the new Stadium opens.

*I know they all have tough games.

Certainly feels a pivotal week at the bottom of the league and potentially may be a bit clearer whose getting relegated to the championship:

Tonight:

Leeds v Leicester 

Wednesday:

Forest v Brighton 

Thursday:

Everton v Newcastle 

Saints v Bournemouth 

Sunday:

Bournemouth v Leeds 

Newcastle v Saints 

Monday:

Leicester v Everton 

I have mentioned previously on this thread that, pre season, my tip for relegation was Bournemouth, Forest and Southampton, with Bournemouth finishing very much adrift in bottom place.

My tip for this evening - to be fair, in hope and more from the heart, rather than the head - was for three home wins.

Hmmm.

48 minutes ago, Super said:

Everton in massive trouble

Everton are my second team and they are fooked if they don't beat Leicester in there next game which I can't see them doing. Can't see another possible win till last game against Bournemouth by which point they are already down.

Can see Man City winning the title and relegating Everton when they meet

If ever there was a crowd/team who have accepted they’re doomed it was Soton tonight. The remaining two places, based on their scoring (in)capabilities it’s got to be Everton and Leeds, with Forest running them mightily close.

Makes the Championship a tough place next season what with Ipswich, Plymouth and likelihood of one other big club coming up from below.

We may look back at this Season as having been one of the easier ones to have made a challenge in the wider scheme of things. Pity we weren’t more advanced in our team development to have grasped the opportunity.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RedRock said:

If ever there was a crowd/team who have accepted they’re doomed it was Soton tonight. The remaining two places, based on their scoring (in)capabilities it’s got to be Everton and Leeds, with Forest running them mightily close.

Makes the Championship a tough place next season what with Ipswich, Plymouth and likelihood of one other big club coming up from below.

We may look back at this Season as having been one of the easier ones to have made a challenge in the wider scheme of things. Pity we weren’t more advanced in our team development to have grasped the opportunity.

The quality in the Championship has been poor. Even the teams around the play offs have not been particularly great. Even Sheff Utd I don't think we're a team that looked like they'd get promotion. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The quality in the Championship has been poor. Even the teams around the play offs have not been particularly great. Even Sheff Utd I don't think we're a team that looked like they'd get promotion. 

It was a really weak League this season. Sheffield Utd as you say pretty poor for a side promoted. I must admit every time I watch Luton play I think how the hell are these 3rd? 

The quality has gone downhill massively in recent season.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Is the Champ weaker, or…

- doesn’t have anyone standout bar Burnley, but ultra-competitive beneath them?

I see a “weak” league as one where there is no competition, and I don’t think that describes this season’s Championship.

Not many teams have impressed me this season at all. The standard of football in my opinion has been very low pretty much across the board which I guess helps to make it ultra competitive. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Not many teams have impressed me this season at all. The standard of football in my opinion has been very low pretty much across the board which I guess helps to make it ultra competitive. 

I get this.

Not saying this is your view, but there is definitely an en vogue school of thought that “more pretty passing teams” is the proxy for “better standard of football”, and because there are probably only 2 true passing teams in the Champ - Burnley and Swansea, that the standard is low.

Yet I look at Luton - they are the most frantic, direct, fast-paced team in the division, just because it isn’t pretty passing patterns does that mean they aren’t high standard.

Just my 2p.  More than one way of being good!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Is the Champ weaker, or…

I see a “weak” league as one where there is no competition, and I don’t think that describes this season’s Championship.

Was just about to post something similar, nearly all season any side bar Burnley were needing a couple of wins to get away from the bottom or a couple of wins to get into the promotion shake up.

The standard of the division is interesting. It is, has been very competitive for sure outside of Burnley. On Luton I'd say they have more possession under Edwards than Jones I'd have thought.

On a wider note, lots of forums do say the League isn't that good this year. In a way the decrease in expenditure at many clubs can push it in that direction, otoh doing more with less, more talented youth getting a chance, better coaching can result from less money.

In terms of possession Burnley and Swansea do seem like the two true believers but there are probably several trams who will go for more or less possession depending on opposition standard, home v away and other such variables- some of our own numbers in that area probably bear this out to some extent. Sunderland for sure, West Brom and Coventry at times. We hsve a basic framework but enough flexibility within framework to mix it a bit subject to those factors.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Is the Champ weaker, or…

I suppose this is an extension of what you are saying but my definition of a "weak" league would be one where the three relegated teams found it very easy to excel above the rest and thre three promoted teams were too poor to add any quality to the division.

As it is, Burnley have made the division look easy but Watford and Norwich are currently midtable. Norwich *could* still make the play-offs but they certainly haven't found it easy. Meanwhile Wigan have struggled to compete (although they may yet stay up) and Rotherham have struggled but Sunderland have certainly shown quality. 

I think people sometimes use "weak" as a shorthand for "unglamorous". The teams aren't pretty and some of the "bigger" names that are often in the division are either in the Premier League or League One but I'd not call it a "weak" league and I'd agree the fact 8 teams still have a theoretical chance of the last two play-off slots is a sign of competitiveness rather than "weakness".

• Like 2