IGNORED

Who's Coming Down?

Port Said Red

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think it’s only 5 PPs next season….the 3 relegated plus Norwich and Watford (both 2nd of 2 years, ie their final years PPs).  West Brom were only on 2 years also but this is their 2nd season, so they run out this year.

If I’ve missed someone, please let me know.

Southampton will likely be fine as you say.

Everton could do a Sunderland and go straight down…there’s even talk of them going bust!

Any of Forest, Leeds or Leicester would be strong, agreed.

Okay, so West Brom having Corberan right now is a similar position to the one he took over at Huddersfield.  Club had just finished with PPs but the flip side to that with a well run side should be that the hefty contracts of players from the EPL era should end. 

Still think they will definitely challenge next season.

10 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Okay, so West Brom having Corberan right now is a similar position to the one he took over at Huddersfield.  Club had just finished with PPs but the flip side to that with a well run side should be that the hefty contracts of players from the EPL era should end. 

He took over in the 2nd year of their parachute Payments, 2nd of 3. First year a bit of a struggle at Huddersfield.

This is quite different. West Brom have been traditionally fantastically run, but now this is less clear. He has taken over in the 2nd and final year of Parachute Payments. I'd say he has done quite well there but this is different for a few reasons:

1) Next year it drops from 45 pct of Central awards ie the 2nd year of Parachute Payments to the Solidarity Payments. It wouldn't surprise me if their total income is around £25m.

2) Huddersfield were cutting back from Day 1 after relegation, partially because Hoyle was getting some of his loans repaid.

3) The MSD loan...of £20m. Cash Flow but it's a high interest rate. 13-14 pct IIRC??

4) The owner and former owner both owe the club money, again loans, cash flow etc. Whether they will see that money any time soon if at all feels doubtful! Certainly the loan repayable by the current owner has been impaired.

5) Something about high interest owed to the current owner, not looked in a while.

6) West Brom themselves. Depending on what you read it us either their first season minus PL or Parachute Payments winde 2003-04 or perhaps even 2001-02..I'm convinced there was something albeit far smaller pre the official introduction but play let's say 2003-04 as they had PL cash in 2004-05 and 2005-06 and Parachute Payments arrived for clubs in 2006-07.

That's the first time in a generation nearly, fairly huge adjustment.

Oh and FFP. May not be an immediate concern but a double whammy of a swing from a £55.5m Upper Loss Limit to this season to £39m into next and Parachute Payments ending to be replaced by EFL cash only...huge challenge no?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't know how different a lot of PL clubs would be at a hotel pre game. It's wrong clearly but I question how far different some of them would be.

That said there is no real excuse but I doubt Leeds are the only culprits.

I’m going to play devils’ advocate here but the level of entitlement in that story really riled me. They are professionals just leaving their hotel to go out and do a job. I imagine they all have their own ways of trying to prepare and focus. Once they get to the stadium then, sure, they have to put that to one side and greet supporters but I don’t particularly think fans should be loitering as they leave the hotel in the first place and I am not going to castigate the players for not being in a head space to respond to it. I don’t see it as all that different to if the fans were camped outside a player’s garden before a home game. They have a huge game in front of thousands of people. I’m not going to criticise them for wanting a bit of privacy beforehand. 

Edited by LondonBristolian

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't know how different a lot of PL clubs would be at a hotel pre game. It's wrong clearly but I question how far different some of them would be.

For balance, interesting tweet.

Meslier did well to keep the phone in his hand based on current form to be fair.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

I like your optimism but with their woeful financial situation I can see them going into administration next season. Not a chance they will be challenging. (Corberan to Leeds ?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

For balance, interesting tweet.

The players have responded:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/may/01/leeds-consider-sacking-javi-gracia-and-hiring-third-manager-of-season

There has been particular outrage among fans at the sight of the players cold-shoulderin a small boy clutching what appears to be an autograph book as he waved forlornly at every member of the squad.

“What is just as concerning to us as a group is the video online of us leaving the hotel. Words can’t express how sorry we are that the youngster in the video wearing the Leeds kit is not shown more love from the squad. There is no excuse for not acknowledging fans.”

• Thanks 1

Interesting looking at Everton’s forum. A lot wanting Dyche out if they go down; which seems a bit harsh it’s hardly been a situation of his making. Also, he’s just what they need to get back up if they do go down. 

Every single game would be tough for them though, as many big teams have found out if they get relegated. 

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I’m going to play devils’ advocate here but the level of entitlement in that story really riled me. They are professionals just leaving their hotel to go out and do a job. I imagine they all have their own ways of trying to prepare and focus. Once they get to the stadium then, sure, they have to put that to one side and greet supporters but I don’t particularly think fans should be loitering as they leave the hotel in the first place and I am not going to castigate the players for not being in a head space to respond to it. I don’t see it as all that different to if the fans were camped outside a player’s garden before a home game. They have a huge game in front of thousands of people. I’m not going to criticise them for wanting a bit of privacy beforehand. 

Do you reckon it’s too much to ask for them to keep their phones in their pockets and give the fans a little thumbs up, or wave at the little lad who is clearly excited to see them?

They’ve felt the need to apologise so know they were out of order. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He took over in the 2nd year of their parachute Payments, 2nd of 3. First year a bit of a struggle at Huddersfield.

This is quite different. West Brom have been traditionally fantastically run, but now this is less clear. He has taken over in the 2nd and final year of Parachute Payments. I'd say he has done quite well there but this is different for a few reasons:

1) Next year it drops from 45 pct of Central awards ie the 2nd year of Parachute Payments to the Solidarity Payments. It wouldn't surprise me if their total income is around £25m.

2) Huddersfield were cutting back from Day 1 after relegation, partially because Hoyle was getting some of his loans repaid.

3) The MSD loan...of £20m. Cash Flow but it's a high interest rate. 13-14 pct IIRC??

4) The owner and former owner both owe the club money, again loans, cash flow etc. Whether they will see that money any time soon if at all feels doubtful! Certainly the loan repayable by the current owner has been impaired.

5) Something about high interest owed to the current owner, not looked in a while.

6) West Brom themselves. Depending on what you read it us either their first season minus PL or Parachute Payments winde 2003-04 or perhaps even 2001-02..I'm convinced there was something albeit far smaller pre the official introduction but play let's say 2003-04 as they had PL cash in 2004-05 and 2005-06 and Parachute Payments arrived for clubs in 2006-07.

That's the first time in a generation nearly, fairly huge adjustment.

Oh and FFP. May not be an immediate concern but a double whammy of a swing from a £55.5m Upper Loss Limit to this season to £39m into next and Parachute Payments ending to be replaced by EFL cash only...huge challenge no?

Bit confused by 4 & 5.  Are you saying the owner owes West Brom money but they owe him interest??  Surely they just offset?

Get your point about PPs, but they don't seem to have players on insane money.  Wallace and Swift probably on a good wage but nothing like Stoke or Sundeland before.  

3 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Bit confused by 4 & 5.  Are you saying the owner owes West Brom money but they owe him interest??  Surely they just offset?

Get your point about PPs, but they don't seem to have players on insane money.  Wallace and Swift probably on a good wage but nothing like Stoke or Sundeland before.  

Offsetting could be the one! While since I've looked in depth.

Combination of cash flow and FFP probably...their wage bill alone was £42m last year iirc, while that will have come down it again is a huge adjustment and they can no longer profit from Fixed Asset sales as that rule has changed. They made their small profit even including a £16m profit on disposal of players.

31 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Do you reckon it’s too much to ask for them to keep their phones in their pockets and give the fans a little thumbs up, or wave at the little lad who is clearly excited to see them?

They’ve felt the need to apologise so know they were out of order. 

On this occasion, yes. I do think it is too much to ask. I feel for the kid but I think it is pushy, spoilt and entitled of the parents to take him to the hotel in the first place. It is their accommodation, not their place of work, and I think they are entitled to some privacy when they’re not yet at work. If they’d ignored him at the stadium, it would be a completely different matter.

I really dislike the way fans expect players not to have an off moment or any need for privacy when preparing for a big game. They had to apologise because ignoring a kid is awful but I really don’t feel the kid should have been there in the first place to ignore.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

On this occasion, yes. I do think it is too much to ask. I feel for the kid but I think it is pushy, spoilt and entitled of the parents to take him to the hotel in the first place. It is their accommodation, not their place of work, and I think they are entitled to some privacy when they’re not yet at work. If they’d ignored him at the stadium, it would be a completely different matter.

I really dislike the way fans expect players not to have an off moment or any need for privacy when preparing for a big game. They had to apologise because ignoring a kid is awful but I really don’t feel the kid should have been there in the first place to ignore.

How do you know the parents weren’t also staying at the hotel? 

It’s not like anyone was harassing them. I agree it’s not the place to be asking for autographs or photos, and nobody did. 

A wave or nod of acknowledgment shouldn’t be to much to ask to give to fans who’ve travelled hundreds of miles to support them. 

Still, as long as they’re picking up their millions without having to put up with the common people, it’s all good. 

Get a lot of penalties don't they for a bottom 3rd, bottom six team of recent years. Well the last two

BBC Text said it is their 6th out of 6 awarded thst was converted since early January 2022. Number 7 was missed in that game. Seven League penalties in 1.5 seasons or just under for a team without great attacking stats.

Everton are so, so, so bad. Those goals are pathetic and they have absolutely no idea what to do with the ball when they have it. Sensational viewing.  

Would enjoy Dyche taking them down. Another media love bird and ‘safe pair of hands’ on the managerial merry go round for PL clubs in a relegation scrap to scratch off the list. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Being one of those people who makes a trip with my wife out of away days, I have earmarked 3 potentials already, Plymouth (long weekend in Cornwall) is in Southampton (visiting family) almost done, and Everton hopefully a new ground for me (We love Liverpool for a break). Being retired now means that it doesn't really matter if any of those are midweek or moved for TV coverage. :)

Exactly the same for me!

• Like 1

Everton and their run in includes Man City at home, Brighton away and Wolves away. All very tricky for varying reasons.

Bournemouth at home possibly the most winnable and tbh that looks a lot harder than a few weeks back! Although who knows if Bournemouth will play so hard if safe. They did get relegated at Goodison in 2020 however.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Everton and their run in includes Man City at home, Brighton away and Wolves away. All very tricky for varying reasons.

Bournemouth at home possibly the most winnable and tbh that looks a lot harder than a few weeks back!

Bournemouth are safe now though 

• Like 2