IGNORED

Who's Coming Down?

Port Said Red

Palace have to play 6 of the 8 teams below them before the end of the season (weirdly before today it was 5, now they've leapfrogged 2 of their remaining oppontents).

They're likely to have quite a say in who's going down, I reckon they'll only beat 2/3 of those left and that will suck Leeds right into it.

I have a feeling Leiceters will stay up - they've scored enough goals this year.

3 way scrap for me; one spot between Everton, Leeds & Forest to stay up.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if they all stayed up - don't mind Everton, Forest has been done to death and Leeds are just an overpriced tourist attraction in the championship (only, unlike Newcastle & probably Everton, we'll probably have to put up with a few years of Leeds).

I spoke to a physio at Leicester this week. He said it's been crazy there. Staff and players suddenly working hard, players turning up early, running. Just a buzz around the place that's been absent for months.

Not saying Leicester are about to beat Man City but it did sound like they genuinely have kicked themselves/been kicked up the arse.

If I called it now I reckon it's Southampton, Forest and Everton coming down.

12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I spoke to a physio at Leicester this week. He said it's been crazy there. Staff and players suddenly working hard, players turning up early, running. Just a buzz around the place that's been absent for months.

Not saying Leicester are about to beat Man City but it did sound like they genuinely have kicked themselves/been kicked up the arse.

2 down already

27 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Should have come in a bit earlier….or perhaps run a bit harder a few months earlier.

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Still don't think you can really rule out anyone from Wolves down. Couple of results changes a lot given how close they all are.

Some potentially decisive fixtures coming up soon.

Palace v Everton, Leicester v Wolves, Bournemouth v West Ham all next weekend.

Then Wolves v Palace and Leeds v Leicester on Tuesday 25th.

Those 5 games could make it all look a bit more certain as I think it's going to be 36 or 37 points for safety this season. So you could see Wolves (currently on 34) and Bournemouth (33) hit that mark, and I think Palace (36 are basically already there.

That would reduce it properly to a 5 team battle (assuming Southampton are not going to get 13 points from 5 games).

Edited by ExiledAjax

I said earlier in the thread that Southampton, Bournemouth and Forest would go down.

But Bournemouth seem to have found a bit of form or luck.

Looking at the form tables now and the goals scored/conceded, I would think that Leicester will go down rather than Bournemouth.

I reserve the right to change my mind again after next weeks games...

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

The bookies seem to have written off Saints and Forest yet can't separate Leicester and Everton.

Leicester have Wolves, Leeds, and then a probably MASSIVE game against Everton on 1st May.

I think it's likely that going into that game Leicester will be above Everton as Everton's prior games are Palace and Newcastle.

• Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Leicester have Wolves, Leeds, and then a probably MASSIVE game against Everton on 1st May.

I think it's likely that going into that game Leicester will be above Everton as Everton's prior games are Palace and Newcastle.

That doesn't sound good for the Toffees then.

A mate of mine (a gashead that goes to a few Everton games every season) went to Goodison yesterday and said Everton were awful in the 2nd half.

I genuinely fear for them.

I hear stories that their very existence is questionable IF they drop. Surely not?

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I genuinely fear for them.

I hear stories that their very existence is questionable IF they drop. Surely not?

Oh they absolutely could come down. A very real danger of that.

Would they cease to exist if relegated? Well they recently confirmed in their own accounts that they would be in very real danger of ceasing to be a going concern if they get relegated. That would put them into administration. Now, if they do that in the Championship that is an instant -12 points.

Once in administration they have two outcomes 1) bought by someone willing to fund them or 2) liquidation (ie ceasing to exist).

Personally I suspect that a club/brand as big and famous as Everton would eventually find a buyer and so would survive. However, with a -12 points deficit and new owners paying off huge debts and trying to fund a stadium build they'd be quite likely to end up in League One with little money for players.

It would be an absolute disaster for them.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Thanks 1

Think Southampton and Forest will go down.

Looking at their fixtures and outside of when they play each other, I can see Everton and Leicester picking up 6/7 points each, so it could all come down to that Leicester v Everton match. If Everton can avoid defeat, that might be enough for them, a Leicester win may see them go down.

But Everton will get the luck, they always do. They are starting to remind me of Lennie Lawrences Charlton, always just about getting away with it !

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Think Southampton and Forest will go down.

Looking at their fixtures and outside of when they play each other, I can see Everton and Leicester picking up 6/7 points each, so it could all come down to that Leicester v Everton match. If Everton can avoid defeat, that might be enough for them, a Leicester win may see them go down.

But Everton will get the luck, they always do. They are starting to remind me of Lennie Lawrences Charlton, always just about getting away with it !

I'm not so sure myself. I think looking at there remaining games that they aren't going to pick up many more points. 

If they stay up it will be because Forest manage to not win anymore games this season

24 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

After being at the Everton v Wimbledon match years ago, I'm not sure Everton can 'afford' the same 'luck' this time around as they did then. ??

Edited by Ska Junkie

11 minutes ago, Super said:

Forest are woeful.

Yep they have been awful , hope they go down . Just shows you might get up with loan players but then what? spend 180 million on players and look so disjointed .

A lesson to Boro if they go up too , with Archer, Steffen, Giles,Muniz and Aaron Ramsey not their players.