IGNORED

Twentyman leaving BBC

LondonRobin

Fair play for this everyone needs family time in there life at some point certainly deserves it,Radio Bristol/Somerset sound will lose a voice but thank you for some great interviews and great listening.

Seen you play a few times at twerton with the old man when I was a youngun but you didn't play well enough for me to choose the gas? (Thank god) Jokes! The city won me over ?.

Enjoy your free time Geoff and thanks again.

Edited by Street red

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

"But first, let's get the latest on those roads"

He may also be the top man for calling people Top Man.

He's the same character you hear on the air when he's not on the air, Geoff.  One thing that I really liked about the man was his total commitment to local radio serving local sports fans. He knew some big names in the game, but was as happy talking to guys managing clubs far down the league structure. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

They are. Though the implications for local sports coverage haven't been made clear. Perhaps Geoff smelled which way the wind was blowing there....

Yep. From what I've read, the expectation is that commentaries will continue, but it may well be the case that the other stuff like SOTC bites the dust.

Edited by Northern Red

Always very straightforward on the radio. Also seems very humble and down to earth - none of the “Big I am” as a former pro on local radio. The fact that so many of us can so easily look past his Gas past is a measure of the man in itself. Also good knowledge of the local non-league and grassroots game around Bristol that will be very hard to replace.

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

They are. Though the implications for local sports coverage haven't been made clear. Perhaps Geoff smelled which way the wind was blowing there....

I am sure you’re right. Regional programmes only on “local” BBC stations after 6pm might spell the end for all those early evening sports shows.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Good riddance I say.  Bloody gas scum 

Just a joke.  Top bloke is Geoff.  Will be sorely missed and I would suspect replaced with someone not quite as good

Just liked your post , then seen the sentence at the bottom , I agree with half of your post I will let you guess which half ?

• Haha 2

Sad news. Always enjoyed listening to him and having a chat and bit of banter in the past when I called in to Radio Bristol. 

I wish him all the best for the future. As others have said, for a Gas head he was allright.

Geoffrey going, Paul O'Grady gone.......bugger!

• Like 1

A great bloke; and an excellent broadcaster. A much better broadcaster than footballer ! ?

I remember shouting abuse at him from the enclosure when he was “playing” for the sags one derby game. He looked straight at me, winked and then laughed .

Sorry Geoff ??

(only about 35 years too late !)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2