IGNORED

Twentyman leaving BBC

LondonRobin

Incredible that someone from Liverpool, so closely associated with Rovers from his playing days, became the definitive voice of sport in Bristol and equally popular with both the red and blue halves of the city. A testament to his likeability and talent as a broadcaster. I love how he genuinely wants both City and Rovers to do well. The drive home from the game won’t be the same again.

• Like 9

That's a real shame, such a nice guy, more importantly he was not, like many local sports journalists, a nodding dog to the powers that be, always polite, but never afraid to keep plugging away to get his questions answered. He was also not afraid to answer questions. His integrity is why he is respected by all sides in Bristol

Thanks Geoff, a man who recognised that Gary Stanley's main attribute was his hair and was happy to discuss live on air!

38 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Incredible that someone from Liverpool, so closely associated with Rovers from his playing days, became the definitive voice of sport in Bristol and equally popular with both the red and blue halves of the city. A testament to his likeability and talent as a broadcaster. I love how he genuinely wants both City and Rovers to do well. The drive home from the game won’t be the same again.

No the only Gashead that spoke any sense.

I always felt that 20man's relationship with us improved around the time of his father's death. I remember him coming onto the forum and a posting on a thread we had created to pass on our thoughts to him, he seemed genuinely touched by the amount of sympathy expressed. 

Having spent years moaning about some of his phrases, I find myself thinking I will miss him saying "COYR is the shout out this Saaaaafternooon"

By the way, if the show is to continue, how about an early "shout out" for Chris Honor or another adopted Bristolian Gary Owners?

• Like 3

Geoff has done his job very well. I've come across him a few times through my work, an impressively professional broadcaster, a real asset to the BBC. We'll look back on listening to Geoff on Radio Bristol as we drive home from matches as we might look back on reading the Green 'Un, or Peter Godsiff or Richard Latham in the Post. Something else will come along but BBC local radio is on its knees and I can't see anyone having the time to build a loyal following in the way Geoff has.  I can completely understand that at his age and after such a fine career he'd want to move on and do other things but it'll be the end of an era. Good luck to him, would be good to see him on the pitch at Ashton Gate to get a round of applause.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Is Jeff Stelling retiring at the end of this season, after postponing it before ?

If so; then Saturdays won’t be the same without Jeff or Geoff ?

Yeah I was wondering that. I’m sure at the time Jeff agreed to give it another year but as we approach the end of the season we’ve heard nothing.

I’m actually really gutted about this. Radio Bristol’s sports coverage has improved out of sight in the last 30 years and that is largely down to Geoff. On top of this, he has a warmth and humility that very few can match and he seems genuine in wanting both City and R*vers to do well, which is a very rare  thing. He seems to be a properly lovely fella too. 

He’s one of my favourite broadcasters across any sport and I for one will really miss him. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, Jacki said:

I’m actually really gutted about this. Radio Bristol’s sports coverage has improved out of sight in the last 30 years and that is largely down to Geoff. On top of this, he has a warmth and humility that very few can match and he seems genuine in wanting both City and R*vers to do well, which is a very rare  thing. He seems to be a properly lovely fella too. 

He’s one of my favourite broadcasters across any sport and I for one will really miss him. 

Nicely put Jacki. You’ve summed up many of our thoughts about Geoff perfectly.

• Like 11

37 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Exactly, I’m not sure people realise how difficult it is presenting a programme, interviewing, checking in on other games, speaking to Ian Gay on the phone……

And of course trying to interrupt as @Curr Avondoes his best to provide a verbal report of the game instead of just answering his question "good game Mark?". :)

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1

13 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:Given Steve never speaks to the fans directly anymore, Geoff was really our only gatekeeper to holding him to account.

Steve Lansdown recently did a lengthy Q & A at the Senior Reds lunch and when asked, he agreed to provide the same at an away game as previous, with the stipulation that someone arranged it and provided him with date/s option.

Lets get him on the pitch at one of our remaining home games to show our appreciation to a top class sports broadcaster.

One of the highlights of a home game is listening ti him and the people who phone in with their comments in the car on the

way home., especially earlier on this season when we had seen some abysmal games.

ON the pitch, ON the pitch.

• Like 7

People will appreciate what a great job Geoff does, when the new person takes over. Very big boots to fill and I'm sure there will be a period of time (hopefully a short one) when the quality will nose dive. Sound of the City and Radio Bristol coverage on a match day are great, it will be really sad if the BBC have to scrap programmes like this due to the fact that Tories are trying their best to strangle the life out of the corporation.

• Like 1