IGNORED

Twentyman leaving BBC

LondonRobin

20 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

I’m really gutted about this. He’s a fantastic local broadcaster and I love both SOTC and the scrum. I remember sitting with my dad listening to the Friday night phone in many years ago too. Sad times, as whoever replaces him won’t be of the same caliber.

I liked him when he did his non sporting stint a few years ago. Showed his versitality and always willing to listen to the callers and letting them give their point of view and then quietly and subtly disagreeing.

• Like 1

Lots of speculation about who his replacement will be but I'm not sure there will be one. His role is exactly the type of job - sports presenting, but not commentating or producing - BBC England are looking to close. It wouldn't surprise if he's walking out on VR (not that it's anyone's business).

By some distance the best interviewer in the region and the job of effectively holding our sports clubs to account is now all on James Piercy. Nobody else even comes close to those two.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

On 11/04/2023 at 18:55, Davefevs said:

Just a top man.

Met him once at Charlton Farm, introduced myself as “Fevs from Twitter” and it was as if he’d known me for ages.  Always a little shout out for my son too.

Biggest compliment is the universal acceptance from City fans.

He will be sorely missed, big boots to follow.  All the best “Pal” if you’re reading,

Did I read recently BBC cutting back on regional programmes?

Yep, national programming from lunchtime onwards. Exceptions mooted but suspected at the time that would only be live events, not magazine shows like SOTC

11 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Lots of speculation about who his replacement will be but I'm not sure there will be one. His role is exactly the type of job - sports presenting, but not commentating or producing - BBC England are looking to close. It wouldn't surprise if he's walking out on VR (not that it's anyone's business).

The disparity in funding by the BBC with over the bridge is stark.

Pretty much every game played by Swansea & Cardiff (home & away) has a BBC Wales reporter who writes the match report. 

The coverage that Wrexham, Newport & Glamorgan cricket all get from the BBC is off the scale when compared to similar English sides.

Still it’s not unique, unlike in England they get free prescriptions for all, free bus travel 7 years earlier than we do & capped tuition fees, all paid for of course from the same taxation system.

• Like 4

and BBC radio Cymru 2

and BBC radio Cymru

have radio commentarys of both Swansea and Cardiff for the very few that can listen in the Swansea and Cardiff areas.

There is also no over head wires on the rail corridor between cardiff and Swansea,because they are expecting the U.K. government to pay for it.

The route from Bristol Parkway to Chippenham via Bath and Bristol should come first,hopefully.

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

The disparity in funding by the BBC with over the bridge is stark.

Pretty much every game played by Swansea & Cardiff (home & away) has a BBC Wales reporter who writes the match report. 

The coverage that Wrexham, Newport & Glamorgan cricket all get from the BBC is off the scale when compared to similar English sides.

Still it’s not unique, unlike in England they get free prescriptions for all, free bus travel 7 years earlier than we do & capped tuition fees, all paid for of course from the same taxation system.

Couldn’t really comment.

(Completely agree)

• Flames 1

17 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

What was Geoff better at - football or radio (bearing in mind Radio Bristol is the "Bristol Rovers" of media outlets)?

Probably very similar I would say. Excellent at Radio Bristol and at Rovers but was probably never going to snapped up by Liverpool or Match of the Day.

I guess the fact his media career was a second career he started in his 30’s means it was probably a better achievement. 

• Like 2

Whilst I always sneer at him when I first tune in, deep down a huge amount of respect for him as a journo, very knowledgeable around  all of the local clubs, impartial, great interviewer and clearly knows his stuff. One of thr best.

Happy retirement, but mind that gap x

Edited by Lordofthebling
  • Like 1

On 11/04/2023 at 20:06, Flounder said:

I wonder if he was one of the Radio Bristol broadcasters that was told to apply for their own jobs recently due to the BBC’s local radio reorganisation?

I understand at least one other well known presenter has decided not to take part in this process and one other who has did not had a favourable outcome. 
Sounds like radio Bristol is being butchered.

Edited by Flounder
  • Sad 1

On 13/04/2023 at 00:36, Davefevs said:

Did hear about a City pod, rather than SOTC???

I don't know about 'in future', but the podcast (One for the Bristol City: The Podcast) has been running since 27/2/2023. At the moment it seems to be mainly the fan content from SOTC. and is of massively variable length.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rob said:

Give up the rights to who? I think the BBC is the last hope for local coverage. All the rest of the commercial channels have gone networked.

Gap in the market for an internet radio show following local sport? Maybe something that @Shtanley could research? :)

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

Well ... I guess we are so used to him now that he's kind of one of the family - and I agree he is a far better interviewer of the top brass than any of the half wits who interview Nige every week - but I can't stand the way he reads out tweets in that slow, deliberate scouser voice ....  as if they were actually worth hearing.   "Come.. on .. you ... reds ...says  ...  Cider'ed Sid"    "F*** the Gas, says Gas'ed Gazzer."   

but we will miss him.