IGNORED

Watford away match thread

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Mathematically safe though.

Reading are 11 points adrift with a worse difference, to catch us they now need to win all 4, one of which is v Huddersfield.

If they do then Huddersfield can’t catch us.

This is all I care about at this stage of the season.

We’ve got our financial situation back in check and it looks like we’re going to stay in this division comfortably without a dog fight.

Would have been well happy knowing that at the back end of last season.

Solid foundations to build on next year. A lot to be positive about.

• Like 11
1 minute ago, maxjak said:

If i had to come up with some accompanying music to play along side today's performance...............it would be Limp Bizkit?   I appreciate we have very little to play for at present.......but it is obvious just how far we are from challenging for the top six next season IMHO.

Erm.......Any chance you could come up with something by Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd? Being of a certain vintage I might be able to relate then Max!

For the record (?!) I'll throw in "Dazed and confused" and "Us and them" respectively.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

If i had to come up with some accompanying music to play along side today's performance...............it would be Limp Bizkit?   I appreciate we have very little to play for at present.......but it is obvious just how far we are from challenging for the top six next season IMHO.

With the current squad and injury situation that’s obvious. The idea is young players like Bell and Conway improve and give you more regular 7/10 performances as they go and others are brought in who are better than what you’ve got.

The fact is we are comfortably (and mathematically) safe, plenty of squad players have been given a go to show what they can do, some managed it well, others less so and we know where we need to strengthen. Not the worst position to be in compared to clubs who are scrapping for needed points and don’t have the luxury of looking at lads and others who will be belt tightening next season.

• Like 3

City played well against a good quality side imo.

I said in another thread that its all about performances now and, bar a couple of gift goals, it was a decent performance.

Positives;

Scott looked a cut above everyone on the pitch.

Naismith looks like he got the rustiness out of the way last game, played well.

Tanner is getting better by the game, had a very good game today.

James and Kiing played well.

Negatives;

Mehmeti looked like he'd won first prize in the "be a footballer for a day" raffle.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

City played well against a good quality side imo.

I said in another thread that its all about performances now and, bar a couple of gift goals, it was a decent performance.

Positives;

Scott looked a cut above everyone on the pitch.

Naismith looks like he got the rustiness out of the way last game, played well.

Tanner is getting better by the game, had a very good game today.

James and Kiing played well.

Negatives;

Mehmeti looked like he'd won first prize in the "be a footballer for a day" raffle.

My plus and minuses are a bit different. Plus is how much Sam Bell is improving game on game balanced by the minus of how much Weimann is not having too much of an influence in recent games

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

If nothing else we’re mathematically safe now.

The other positive for me is performances are consistently better even if we still don’t have the personnel that can be relied on not to make costly mistakes at times like today. We are moving in the right direction.

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, RedM said:

My plus and minuses are a bit different. Plus is how much Sam Bell is improving game on game balanced by the minus of how much Weimann is not having too much of an influence in recent games

Just now, Numero Uno said:

The other positive for me is performances are consistently better even if we still don’t have the personnel that can be relied on not to make costly mistakes at times like today. We are moving in the right direction.

I agree the performances are much more consistent , it’s a shame the results aren’t, but I know where your coming from ,

we need to get across the line now in term of results 

Shame but never mind.

We're safe now (mathmatically not, but i can't see us going down now).

This season, for me, was all about staying in the league so i'm happy.

I'm more confident we can now re-shape the team at the end of the season for a campaign to build on next season. 

I'm happy with the job Nigel and his team are doing and am looking forward to next season.

Happy days.

Edited by Loco Rojo
3 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Shame but never mind.

This season, for me, was all about staying in the league so i'm happy.

I'm more confident we can now re-shape the team at the end of the season for a campaign to build on next season. 

I'm happy with the job Nigel and his team are doing and am looking forward to next season.

Happy days.

We are mathematically safe. BOTH of Huddersfield and Reading cannot catch us as they have play each other. Now relax!!

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 3
4 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Happy to be corrected but we are mathematically safe as far as I can see.

Reading would have to win every game to catch us, Huddersfield would have to win 3 and draw 1 at worst whilst overturning a huge goal difference.

Reading and Huddersfield still have to play each other so one of them would fall short of our current points total no matter what the result.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 5
  • Flames 1
5 minutes ago, RedM said:

Ha ha faith I have, but you got to admit our chances looked grim, even to staunch believers ?

Over the moon at how we look now compared to then. Some superb results and performances in the last 3 months so credit to Nigel and the players. This season was always about surviving under the financial circumstances and we’ve done that with relative ease.

Which ways the beach? 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Over the moon at how we look now compared to then. Some superb results and performances in the last 3 months so credit to Nigel and the players. This season was always about surviving under the financial circumstances and we’ve done that with relative ease.

Which ways the beach? 

Head north and turn off at Sheffield. 

Hope not, let's bounce back in style .

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

I think Cornick was offside for the header.

Bell is having a great game.

I thought Bell was really in and out today.  Made a good early start, but ineffective after that…Andrews realised the diag was coming and dealt with pretty Belly comfortably after that.  Bell needed to adjust and play narrower to open the space for Jay instead.  Andrews went off to a standing ovation.  Great pass from Bell in second half to Weimann though.

• Like 1

This sums up City’s season. There’s definitely some good play, but the extra bit of cutting edge wasn’t there,  just like a few other matches this season when City could / should have won. Considering what NP has had to do that’s not surprising. Although I like to win, I’m not despondent about this defeat. Three or four good signings in the summer can make a big difference 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Happy to be corrected but we are mathematically safe as far as I can see.

Reading would have to win every game to catch us, Huddersfield would have to win 3 and draw 1 at worst whilst overturning a huge goal difference.

Reading and Huddersfield still have to play each other so one of them would fall short of our current points total no matter what the result.

Yep, that’s before the small matter of QPR being 10 points adrift of us, too.

We are mathematically safe, there’s also virtually no chance QPR will catch us, either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

We still need to sign another goalkeeper in the summer. That’s a fact.

Bajic not in Valenciennes squad tonight.

As I’ve posted before, he’s been very mixed on loan, albeit behind a dreadful defence.  Will look out to see how the debutant gets on.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, westonred said:

I thought we played very well and outclassed a premier quality side

We didnt get any luck an own goal and a fumble from Max gifted Watford the points . 

Their Keeper was MOM on another day Nahki would have had a Hat Trick.

We still need a big target man for a plan B when we are chasing the game like today 

Agree with all points apart from the first one. They're nowhere near a prem quality side and the reason they are where they are is because they are not even top championship material. On another day we'd have won that and be saying how poor they are.....

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Spike said:

He's not commanding enough, yet people loved Bentley who wouldn't come to collect the ball and it resulted in the defence being overwhelmed as he never came to help them. Max may not be the shot-stopper that Bentley was/is but he's been far more commanding in coming out for balls, and being brave when Bentley let the blame fall on our Center Backs. Still pisses me off that people don't see this.

The other thing people are missing is that Bentley is a £15k per week number 2 Premier League goalkeeper. Unless you’ve been hiding in a ******* cave for two years you would know we can’t spend that wedge on a Goalkeeper and don’t need to either in order to bring in a reliable Championship level keeper to fight with Max for a starting spot.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Would like to see Sykes, Scott and Conway come in for the remaining games. Weimann and Wells levels have dropped off.

Had plenty of chances today, looked really blunt when it came to the final ball or the final effort.

Thought Wells was our best player today, thought he stood out amongst a lot of 6/10s.

• Like 4