IGNORED

Watford away match thread

6 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I'm not on the Cornick hate train, but I'm beginning to wonder what he brings to our team.

Brings lots of hard work and determination, though he does seem to be a bit underwhelming in terms of technical ability. I appreciate he's been rather frustrating at times so far.

Realistically, I don't think we've signed him to be starting as many games as he has been recently. Were all our players fit, I wouldn't be surprised if he was considered our 3rd choice striker. Is he good enough to fulfill that role in the squad? Yes, I think he probably is.

A lot of keepers make mistakes, and Max is no different to that, but I think most people feel, if we are going to be a challenging team, we need a more reliable keeper. Max is an avg keeper at this level. I always look at it, how many teams would he command the number one spot, and for me, I struggle to think of any team who would swap their keeper for Max. However for financial reasons we let Bentley go, and he would have commanded the number 1 spot for more than half the teams in this league. 

Max is a good cover keeper for a decent team at this level, but he is far from a number one.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

15 minutes for Mehmeti in a game where their right back looks really dodgy and scared of a player running at him, Bell has run him silly but someone who can beat a player and create a chance could have had a field day. Far too late in the game for me, Conway should have been on earlier too as Watford have had Weimann in the pocket all game long.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

When you say he's not commanding enough what do you mean? I'm not sure our understanding of the term "commanding" is the same.

I'd say that command of his area is the one area that Max excels. He comes for pretty much everything and that is one of the things that has improved our defence. They know what Max is going to do. With Bentley nobody had a scooby what he was doing from one game to the next. 

He's an average shot stopper, below average distributor and those are criticisms I can certainly understand. But commanding? I'm not sure I've got a clue what you can possibly mean.

“Excel” is a ridiculous over statement. He commands his box in that he comes out and flaps. No way is he a long term number 1 for a championship side seeking promotion.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Spike said:

He's not commanding enough, yet people loved Bentley who wouldn't come to collect the ball and it resulted in the defence being overwhelmed as he never came to help them. Max may not be the shot-stopper that Bentley was/is but he's been far more commanding in coming out for balls, and being brave when Bentley let the blame fall on our Center Backs. Still pisses me off that people don't see this.

He certainly goes for it more than Bentley, but not really commanding. A commanding keeper takes everyone out including the ball!

Nige is rarely specific about where we need to improve, but I'm sure he'll sort it. 

Just now, Kingswood Robin said:

He certainly goes for it more than Bentley, but not really commanding. A commanding keeper takes everyone out including the ball!

Nige is rarely specific about where we need to improve, but I'm sure he'll sort it. 

He's a smaller person, he's not going to throw his body into players because he'd come off worse than they would, commanding is taking the initiative to go for the ball which is exactly what he does and that Bentley never did because he was always too scared of messing it up. Bentley was an amazing shot-stopper but he was gutless in commanding his area and that's partly why Max is in the team, because despite being a smaller, less solid man he still does for the ball more than Bentley.

• Like 2