IGNORED

Watford away match thread

I was never too concerned about relegation, we weren't that bad at home especially, finer margins- the string if home games spanning Sheffield United at home to 1st half West Brom Boxing Day we definitely merited more than one point and goal. Vs a range of opposition, an upturn of some description was always likely IMO.

West Brom it's remembered for the result and 2nd half but Palmer made two big interventions 1st half for them and Phillips hit his own bar not long after putting them ahead. Fine margins in some ways.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2
39 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

City played well against a good quality side imo.

I said in another thread that its all about performances now and, bar a couple of gift goals, it was a decent performance.

Positives;

Scott looked a cut above everyone on the pitch.

Naismith looks like he got the rustiness out of the way last game, played well.

Tanner is getting better by the game, had a very good game today.

James and Kiing played well.

Negatives;

Mehmeti looked like he'd won first prize in the "be a footballer for a day" raffle.

Very harsh on Joao Pedro.  

• Like 1
Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

I was never too concerned about relegation, we weren't that bad at home especially, finer margins- the string if home games spanning Sheffield United at home to 1st half West Brom Boxing Day we definitely merited more than one point and goal. Vs a range of opposition, an upturn of some description was always likely IMO.

Same. I've seen 3 City relegations in my time, and at no point have I thought that this team looked anywhere near as bad as any of those, or indeed a few who struggled but ultimately survived.

We've had a habit over the last couple of seasons of being able to pick up wins from somewhere often enough to keep us from seriously looking over our shoulders.

• Like 6
25 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Over the moon at how we look now compared to then. Some superb results and performances in the last 3 months so credit to Nigel and the players. This season was always about surviving under the financial circumstances and we’ve done that with relative ease.

Which ways the beach? 

You're right. Didn't feel like it at the time as so concerned about the results and the fact we looked like Nigel was going to be replaced according to many, not another one. But I feel we had to feel the slump in order to rebuild and rethink in order to climb and progress

We’ve got to do way better than that … attempts to cut out crosses to both goals was pretty Downs League standard.

Anyhows, onwards we go. Not relegated or, seemingly, at any risk of FFP penalty were the two key objectives for me this season. Bonus of blooding youngsters.

However,  we need a new ‘spine’ of four quality players to push on imo - dominating keeper and centre back (two, if Kalas goes), goal scoring midfielder and forward.

We need to recycle the Scott money wisely. Still worry that an apparent lack of a comprehensive scouting network will hinder us in identifying first team targets though.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, RedRock said:

We’ve got to do way better than that … attempts to cut out crosses to both goals was pretty Downs League standard.

Anyhows, onwards we go. Not relegated or, seemingly, at any risk of FFP penalty were the two key objectives for me this season. Bonus of blooding youngsters.

However,  we need a new ‘spine’ of four quality players to push on imo - dominating keeper and centre back (two, if Kalas goes), goal scoring midfielder and forward.

We need to recycle the Scott money wisely. Still worry that an apparent lack of a comprehensive scouting network will hinder us in identifying first team targets though.

Largely agree. Would also add the mini Cup runs Lincoln game at home were quite pleasant and yeah recycling wisely will he important indeed and if I have two small concerns at this point they would be:

1) Tinnion mentioned 4 players a while back Seems a bit light. Unsure if that's 4 players after all the out of contract leave say but either way.

2) Who we sign and where from. If all the two divisions below balance not quire right- if financially sensible to do so a couple of PL or European top flight loanees provided they are right for us I see no reason why not..that balance is important.

One more thought, given the thinning out of the squad depth wise thst happened and already a relatively thin squad to begin with, that could have been a lot worse than in and around midtable. Remember!

Bentley OUT

Klose OUT

Massengo OUT

Semenyo and Martin OUT

Haikin IN

Cornick and Mehmeti IN

Latterly albeit when approaching safety Haikin OUT.

It was completely necessary but had potential to be trickier than it was so well done all.

Plus a whole season without Baker after injury and the sad need to retire was confirmed. Our squad is quite thin and has been quite thin when you think about it 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Thought Wells was our best player today, thought he stood out amongst a lot of 6/10s.

Like you Dave thought wells worked hard made some good runs but just didn’t have the rub of the green , typical forward when on a lean run , you certainly can’t knock his effort .

as for Andi I really don’t know , really like the bloke and want him to do well but the game passes him by he’s just not innit enough for me , 

really enjoyed watching James & king first half not glamourous just efficient and got on with there jobs .

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One more thought, given the thinning out of the squad depth wise thst happened and already a relatively thin squad to begin with, that could have been a lot worse than in and around midtable. Remember!

Bentley OUT

Klose OUT

Massengo OUT

Semenyo and Martin OUT

Haikin IN

Cornick and Mehmeti IN

Latterly albeit when approaching safety Haikin OUT.

It was completely necessary but had potential to be trickier than it was so well done all.

Plus a whole season without Baker after injury and the sad need to retire was confirmed. Our squad is quite thin and has been quite thin when you think about it 

Put it this way, I wouldn't have backed some of the names being bandied about on here around Boxing Day to get as much out of it, when you take injuries into consideration, as Nige has. Imagine if we had brought in a Manager who prefers a "good old 'un" to a "good young 'un". A couple on here have called Nige a "Dinosaur" but there's plenty of real dinosaurs about who simply don't believe young lads can be trusted to do it.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, redkev said:

Like you Dave thought wells worked hard made some good runs but just didn’t have the rub of the green , typical forward when on a lean run , you certainly can’t knock his effort .

as for Andi I really don’t know , really like the bloke and want him to do well but the game passes him by he’s just not innit enough for me , 

really enjoyed watching James & king first half not glamourous just efficient and got on with there jobs .

Weimann unfortunately wasn’t afforded any space between their CBs and their DMs…that early goal for them wasn’t helpful in stretching the game.

23 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Absolutely agree. He could have given nothing more  Ran his heart out today. And showed real passion for the club. 

Played really well against Boro too.

Definitely in the middle of a real goal drought but had 2 recent assists & certainly making a contribution despite the shortage of goals.

• Like 1

Really frustrating day, controlled a lot of the game without quite creating those clear openings. 
I thought Tanner was very good again, Bell did some great work but Nahki shaded it.  Just annoying that we went back to making so many bad choices and decisions, trying ridiculous eye of a needle passes when we were in so much control we should have taken our time. 
I've not been impressed by Cornick so far, but when you hit bottom the only way is up. He must be due a break or two and that OG must having thinking he smashed a mirror or kicked a black cat.
I see Max getting a lot of stick, which I think is harsh. It's amazing that now he's not here Bentley has improved as a keeper. The 2nd goal doesn't look great, but did Vyner get a touch on it ? Not sure it makes a difference as O'Leary has him diving at the ball so wont know where it's going until too late. Very hard to adjust so late.
I think if Scott and Sykes started today, we could have got something out of it. I'd go back to a front 2 if Conway is fit to start, but I also think shape will be dictated by who is fit and who isn't.
Overall a fairly good performance, just bad choices and a little sloppy at times. I saw some of the Sheff U Vs Cardiff game earlier, if we play like today with more composure and a little more cutting edge, we can get something up there and piss on their Parade. Which would be nice.

3 hours ago, Spike said:

15 minutes for Mehmeti in a game where their right back looks really dodgy and scared of a player running at him, Bell has run him silly but someone who can beat a player and create a chance could have had a field day. Far too late in the game for me, Conway should have been on earlier too as Watford have had Weimann in the pocket all game long.

Hindsight, I know, but I’m just glad it was only 15 minutes. I don’t think Bell was running at him: round him, past him, between him and his CB, making the clever runs Bell does. And as you say giving him a nightmare. 
Mehmeti wanted the ball first and then to run at him, and he got nowhere. 
Agree with you on Conway though. My feeling is we need to get back to a front two of Wells and Conway. 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Really frustrating day, controlled a lot of the game without quite creating those clear openings. 
I thought Tanner was very good again, Bell did some great work but Nahki shaded it.  Just annoying that we went back to making so many bad choices and decisions, trying ridiculous eye of a needle passes when we were in so much control we should have taken our time. 
I've not been impressed by Cornick so far, but when you hit bottom the only way is up. He must be due a break or two and that OG must having thinking he smashed a mirror or kicked a black cat.
I see Max getting a lot of stick, which I think is harsh. It's amazing that now he's not here Bentley has improved as a keeper. The 2nd goal doesn't look great, but did Vyner get a touch on it ? Not sure it makes a difference as O'Leary has him diving at the ball so wont know where it's going until too late. Very hard to adjust so late.
I think if Scott and Sykes started today, we could have got something out of it. I'd go back to a front 2 if Conway is fit to start, but I also think shape will be dictated by who is fit and who isn't.
Overall a fairly good performance, just bad choices and a little sloppy at times. I saw some of the Sheff U Vs Cardiff game earlier, if we play like today with more composure and a little more cutting edge, we can get something up there and piss on their Parade. Which would be nice.

My opinion is the team selection today had half an eye on Tuesday. I expect to see a midfield of James, Scott and Naismith from the start because if those three get kicked they will give the Sheffield United lads a bit back. Even Conway has that little bit of devil in him and would expect him to start too. We need to be very aggressive on Tuesday to get anything out of that game.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 3
6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

My opinion is the team selection today had half an eye on Tuesday. I expect to see a midfield of James, Scott and Naismith from the start because if those three get kicked they will give the Sheffield United lads a bit back. Even Conway has that little bit of devil in him and would expect him to start too. We need to be very aggressive on Tuesday to get anything out of that game.

Scott hasn't been out long so , as long as there's no reaction, I agree. Naismith has had a couple of runs so should be OK. Conway has been eased back in so might still be a little early, but should be close. 
Naismith at CB allows Pring to move over and the team is bigger, stronger and more aggressive . Scott makes us more front foot and add Sykes and we are more balanced. It gives us a chance.

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Our aggression or 'clever' play ends to be treated or penalised differently to our opposition though or has been.

4 game ban for Sykes, didn't think that was justified. Why did they pick that out out of all the incidents on a weekend?

Then there was the game v them last season, kicking the ball away seemed to be penalised differently depending on which side did it? By which I mean bookings.

Sykes was a red v Luton no argument but Freeman was only booked but then he was lucky to be, or Sykes when sandwiched no regulation foul called- had it been his tackle for which he got a red doesn't happen.

Tanner was a clear red but what of Norwood about halfway into the 2nd half.

Any I've missed? Not focusing on the penalties as they have been analysed greatly.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Thought Wells was our best player today, thought he stood out amongst a lot of 6/10s.

Can't say he didn't work hard, improved more second half with the running in behind and in the channels but he seems to be snatching at chances in recent weeks. Our best finisher at the club but things don't seem to be going his way at the moment.

Wouldn't mind seeing Conway getting a chance leading the line, liked his cameos since his return, lots of really good link-up play but not sure he's ready to start yet maybe.

Quite interesting today as I went to the match invited by a Watford supporting friend and sat in the Graham Taylor stand. 

Without giving my identity away you get a opposition fans perspective from the game and from the various comments they where pleased that they had won the game but grateful for the woodwork for keeping them in the game.  Spoke highly of us and how much of the ball we had.

Some very nice comments on Alex Scott and his cameo with one of them saying " he's to good for them, he be playing for Tottenham next season"

Great club Watford really enjoyed the day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1