IGNORED

New keeper needed

Fordy62

Just now, Fordy62 said:

I’m sorry to address the elephant in the room, but I feel I must. 

Max can be brilliant. When he’s on form he’s worthy of being called a Premier League quality keeper, he’s shown us that several times. However, keepers must be judged by their tendency to make mistakes. And however romantic I’d like to be about an academy graduate being our number one, I’m afraid too often he makes glaring errors - like today. And too often it’s… Max Oh’Deary.

We need to sign a number one in the summer to Improve.

Sorry.

We need to sign a keeper in the summer for the simple and only reason that we need TWO Championship ready keepers fighting each other for the spot in the team. If that keeper turns out to be significantly better than Max in the long term then no problem at all but what I do know is the competition will naturally push them on. No disrespect to Harvey Wiles Richards or even Bajic, but we don't have that at the moment. Max is a guaranteed starter right now. To those who say "why did we get rid of Dan Bentley then?" there is a simple answer and it's called £15K per week wages............I congratulate Bentley for doing the best for his family like we all would and I also congratulate Nige for giving Max an extended and proper opportunity to show what he can do/not do instead of playing a player who was always leaving and costing us a packet.

• Like 4

Not sure about the Max Oh'Deary reference either. Not sure you have a career in stand-up to be honest...........The kid has made a few genuine errors, has had a few fantastic games, always attempts to come for the crosses and most importantly GIVES HIS ALL FOR THE SHIRT. Ridicule really doesn't seem right in this instance. He's no Bas Savage.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Not sure about the Max Oh'Deary reference either. Not sure you have a career in stand-up to be honest...........The kid has made a few genuine errors, has had a few fantastic games, always attempts to come for the crosses and most importantly GIVES HIS ALL FOR THE SHIRT. Ridicule really doesn't seem right in this instance. He's no Bas Savage.

His defenders trust his decision making too.

I’d have a look at Rushworth (Lincoln - on loan from Man City).

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I don’t doubt that he gives all for the shirt, but he’s definitely too mistake prone for my liking. 

Whereas I accept that he was on miles more wages, Bentley was by far the better keeper. 

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I don’t doubt that he gives all for the shirt, but he’s definitely too mistake prone for my liking. 

Whereas I accept that he was on miles more wages, Bentley was by far the better keeper. 

Bentley was on far too much money, money we couldn't afford end of story, and didn't need to go down the Nakhi Wells route which was his prerogative, no issues there. It was also Nige's prerogative to say "thanks for your efforts Dan, now **** off whilst Max gets the chance to show us he is a Championship Keeper for the rest of the season". I couldn't give a toss that Bentley's old man didn't like it one bit. But all that said we do need another keeper in the building.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 5

First point: if the OP had been titled “The Max Factor” it would have been so much better.

More broadly. Max has improved. His command of area is now much better and he is a good shot stopper (other than today). I think his distribution is ropey as hell though - he has a willingness to recieve a ball but his poor “length” kicks mean he often takes the option of playing a defender into trouble. At least once or twice a game, there’s a ball played to a worse positioned player so he doesn’t have to do one of his floaty long kicks.

I’m also not sure he’s a kid - he is in relative experience, but it’s not as if we’re looking at someone with a lot of time to grow an upside (recent command improvements notwithstanding)

My vote is that we need better. He’s a mid to lower level championship keeper, and there’s nothing wrong with that, but he is one I’d be looking to upgrade.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Bentley was on far too much money, money we couldn't afford end of story, and didn't need to go down the Nakhi Wells route which was his prerogative, no issues there. It was also Nige's prerogative to say "thanks for your efforts Dan, now **** off whilst Max gets the chance to show us he is a Championship Keeper for the rest of the season". I couldn't give a toss that Bentley's old man didn't like it one bit. But all that said we do need another keeper in the building.

I think Max has not had his chance, and proved that his level in the championship is not where we want to be. 

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

First point: if the OP had been titled “The Max Factor” it would have been so much better.

More broadly. Max has improved. His command of area is now much better and he is a good shot stopper (other than today). I think his distribution is ropey as hell though - he has a willingness to recieve a ball but his poor “length” kicks mean he often takes the option of playing a defender into trouble. At least once or twice a game, there’s a ball played to a worse positioned player so he doesn’t have to do one of his floaty long kicks.

I’m also not sure he’s a kid - he is in relative experience, but it’s not as if we’re looking at someone with a lot of time to grow an upside (recent command improvements notwithstanding)

My vote is that we need better. He’s a mid to lower level championship keeper, and there’s nothing wrong with that, but he is one I’d be looking to upgrade.

I agree with the last paragraph. And shot stopping he might save a few worldies. But too often he lets in regulation ‘comfortable save at this level’ shots. 

Like I said, he can be excellent, but too many mistakes. 

Just now, Fordy62 said:

I think Max has not had his chance, and proved that his level in the championship is not where we want to be. 

I think you mean Max HAS HAD his chance which was the whole point of binning off the overpaid (for our circumstances in terms of reducing costs) Bentley. Nige will look at it in the cold light of day at the end of the season, not after being angry at one game we should never have lost, and I'm sure will decide that competition/upgrade, call it what you will, will be the way forward.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Bentley was equally as mistaken prone but less easy to spot , such as failing to come for or flapping at, a cross

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Numero Uno said:

I think you mean Max HAS HAD his chance which was the whole point of binning off the overpaid (for our circumstances in terms of reducing costs) Bentley. Nige will look at it in the cold light of day at the end of the season, not after being angry at one game we should never have lost, and I'm sure will decide that competition/upgrade, call it what you will, will be the way forward.

I do. 4x Weston’s. Sorry! ? 

(good news is I’ve had enough and I’m off to bed!)

• Haha 1

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

Bentley was equally as mistaken prone but less easy to spot , such as failing to come for or flapping at, a cross

I agree that Bentley had different mistakes but I genuinely think that Over the course of a season we’d be 6-8 points better off with Bents rather than Max. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Do you think Bentley was a keeper good enough to get us into the top 6?

Interesting question and it’s touch and go. But I’d definitely say I was more comfortable with him in goal than MOL. So if I’m pushed, maybe, but definitely more so than Max. 

(I suppose I could retort that Premier League scouts think so unequivocally!)

Just now, Fordy62 said:

Interesting question and it’s touch and go. But I’d definitely say I was more comfortable with him in goal than MOL. So if I’m pushed, maybe, but definitely more so than Max. 

(I suppose I could retort that Premier League scouts think so unequivocally!)

I no longer worry about seeing Max in goal.  He’s capable.

• Like 1

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Bentley v Max for us this season. Max has the better save% and a vastly better goals conceded per 90. Bents has a slightly better clean sheet ratio. Very little to choose between them.

Max is fine.

We can get promoted with Max as no.1.

Screenshot_20230415-201841.png

To be fair our team has clicked much better since MOL has been number one. And there really isn’t much in any of those stats to prove one way or another. 

23 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

He's 27 this year...but I know what you mean by 'kid'...as he still looks 17 with sum bum fluff on his top lip. 

He's improved...but he just doesn't have any presence imo. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Bentley might have made more dramatic saves, but had sod all command of his box, and was shit with his distribution, Max on the other hand might make the odd ticket, but you trust him to come and catch or punch and get the ball moving quickly. I’d argue on that front Max is the better keeper

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

Or palmed one straight to an unmarked striker ready to pass into the net I suppose. 

For me, and I accept it's personal preference tbh, I will take the positive keeper who comes for the crosses and palms/mis-punches the odd one out to the waiting striker all day long over the liner.

• Like 9