IGNORED

New keeper needed

Fordy62

Just now, bexhill reds said:

Bentley might have made more dramatic saves, but had sod all command of his box, and was shit with his distribution, Max on the other hand might make the odd ticket, but you trust him to come and catch or punch and get the ball moving quickly. I’d argue on that front Max is the better keeper

The one thing I’m certainly not prepared to accept in Max’s favour is a distribution argument. He’s worse than Fielding ever was. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

To be fair our team has clicked much better since MOL has been number one. And there really isn’t much in any of those stats to prove one way or another. 

And I guess that's why I'd like us to spend the money on the outfield rather than try and improve our GK No.1. Get a good team in front of Max and I think he's fine as a Champ keeper.

I respect your dissenting opinion on that though. It's certainly possible to improve on Max, I just don't necessarily think it's a priority.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, spudski said:

He's 27 this year...but I know what you mean by 'kid'...as he still looks 17 with sum bum fluff on his top lip. 

He's improved...but he just doesn't have any presence imo. 

It's simple for me. We keep Max but we have to give him some real competition and the player in form wins. That's the only way to do things imo. Guaranteed starters are not healthy but I totally understand why Pearson has done it in the short term. He needed to see where Max is at. That privilege is removed from Max at the start of next season. It's cut throat, dog eat dog, call it what you like.........but how it should be.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

The one thing I’m certainly not prepared to accept in Max’s favour is a distribution argument. He’s worse than Fielding ever was. 

I’d agree with kicking mind as Max has a tendency to find touch when aiming for Pring on the left, but he does generally to look get the ball moving quickly, which is key for playing on the break

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

It's simple for me. We keep Max but we have to give him some real competition and the player in form wins. That's the only way to do things imo. Guaranteed starters are not healthy but I totally understand why Pearson has done it in the short term. He needed to see where Max is at. That privilege is removed from Max at the start of next season. It's cut throat, dog eat dog, call it what you like.........but how it should be.

I whole heartedly agree with that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Searles said:

In my opinion he makes too many mistakes for a side that wants to push for the playoffs. A decent back up option.

Does he? Sure he was dodgy for the second goal today but I’m struggling to remember another error. He and one of our defenders had a communication problem in one game last season which led to conceding but that was half a dozen of one and 6 of the other.

I’m very comfortable with Max as no1 but as others have said he needs competition and no doubt that another keeper is on Nige’s shopping list this summer.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

And I guess that's why I'd like us to spend the money on the outfield rather than try and improve our GK No.1. Get a good team in front of Max and I think he's fine as a Champ keeper.

I respect your dissenting opinion on that though. It's certainly possible to improve on Max, I just don't necessarily think it's a priority.

I can’t hate you. ?

• Haha 1

I'm not into the name calling of our own players either. I also don't know why people keep bringing up Bentley or comparing him  with Max. It's irrelevant, he doesn't play for us any more.

Looking forward, do I think it's an area we need to improve to be more than mid table, certainly. He's done well, but I think he's our first choice more out of necessity (as with other areas on the pitch). At the moment, for me, he's a more than capable backup, but it's an area where we will strengthen. I was surprised to see Max is 26. If he had his current physical presence at age 20/21 I would probably see it a bit differently. That said, keepers can come into their own well into their 30's. Maybe he needs to eat a few more doughnuts !

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

I’d agree with kicking mind as Max has a tendency to find touch when aiming for Pring on the left, but he does generally to look get the ball moving quickly, which is key for playing on the break

Ah ok. Different argument. Fair one. 

• Like 1

Two swallows don’t make a summer. Don’t  judge O’Leary on the last couple of games. There needs to be another goalkeeper to provide competition but that doesn’t mean he’s not good enough 

• Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Does he? Sure he was dodgy for the second goal today but I’m struggling to remember another error. He and one of our defenders had a communication problem in one game last season which led to conceding but that was half a dozen of one and 6 of the other.

I’m very comfortable with Max as no1 but as others have said he needs competition and no doubt that another keeper is on Nige’s shopping list this summer.

Today, Swansea and Cardiff. Last month and a half, 3 pretty clear and obvious errors. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Searles said:

Today, Swansea and Cardiff. Last month and a half, 3 pretty clear and obvious errors. 

As I said - I can only remember two errors that led to a goal. Today and the communication issue with our defence that wasn’t entirely his fault. I can’t recall who it was against but it may have been Cardiff or the Jacks.

Max is a good goalkeeper! 

I agree with anyone who says we/he needs real competition. They are spot on. 

However part of the issue is, as today and away at PNE for example, that we haven’t been good enough or quick enough to close down a shooter from outside the box. An issue OLeary himself points out almost every game. 

Having Kalas and Atkinson out doesn’t help, but we are not great at blocking with them playing as well and to be fair it’s not just the job of Center Backs to get in front of the bloke lining one up!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He made one at Swansea just the other week.

No team in top 6 would take him. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

He made one at Swansea just the other week.

No team in top 6 would take him. 

When an outfield players messes up they’ll often get away with with help of their teammates but that’s rarely the case when a keeper messes up,. Their mistakes are highlighted much more,

• Like 1

Are we really calling Swansea and Cardiff goals as keeper errors?

Cullen’s goal for Swansea was just a consequence of the shot being taken just as he’s adjusting his feet.

Philogene’s goal was a well struck shot from outside the box into the near post.

Can’t save everything!  A goal doesn’t always have to be a mistake / classed as an error.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I no longer worry about seeing Max in goal.  He’s capable.

You are absolutely correct.......I think Max is a 6/7 out of ten keeper on a regular basis, which is adequate.  We would all love a 8/9 out of ten keeper, but Max is, as you state, capable.  It is the case that he needs a  quality keeper to come in and challenge  him to perform to his upmost......every position needs to be challenged, so as to keep the competitiiveness ongoing, and keep each player on their toes.  Max is good enough, he just needs competition to make sure he strives to perform his best in every game?    IMHO.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Cullen’s goal for Swansea was just a consequence of the shot being taken just as he’s adjusting his feet.

Philogene’s goal was a well struck shot from outside the box into the near post.

Can’t save everything!  A goal doesn’t always have to be a mistake / classed as an error.

What do you think of the keeper at Orient Dave? 

Whenever I watch him, I think his distribution would suit our style of play. 

Plus he's a decent shot stopper has height and presence. 

Max has made three mistakes this season which have cost us.  Early on, after replacing Bents, he come charging off his line and missed a punch when we were already losing.

He let a shot in against Preston when we were 2-0 up.  We won 2-1.

And today he let a shot in when we were already losing.

None of his mistakes have directly cost us points.

He recently signed a long term contract, so the club clearly believes in him

Do we need another championship standard keeper to challenge Max.  Absolutely.

Should we throw him under the bus because of today? I think not.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, they were errors in my opinion anyway.

• Like 1

My opinion is that we have varying weaknesses in the squad and as we are possibly only half way through the rebuild from the dark days before Pearson arrived.

Thus it's difficult to judge the quality of most of our squad. Goalkeeper is a prime position and Max has done quite well so far. One can say the same for several others. One of the defenders, Zak Vyner, has done much better this season than anyone thought possible.

Others like Pring have done well. But unless we can fit each of our less experienced players into a team that is perfect, it will be impossible to give definitive opinions as to the quality of each player on our squad. Yet a team is the sum of the parts of it.

I note that Vyner may not yet have been offered a new contract; is Max in the same position? If  so does this tell us that NP has doubts about them ? He has various positions that need new blood before goalkeeper and right centre back are considered. He may think that those like Max, Vyner and others will be able to improve alongside better newcomers and so gives them a chance mainly because we can not change every squad member in one transfer window. As we build, we'll find out who isn't going to to make it with us.

3 minutes ago, BLRed said:

His kicking is also abysmal for a championship level goalkeeper. Would like to see cooper from plymouth (although looks like they are going up) and been fairly impressed with Horvarth who I think is at Luton on loan

Have you thought about why, he is generally having to aim at Pring on the touch line to nod it back inside, as we no longer have a a big centre forward to aim at. Much easier for a keeper to just smash down the middle and does not look as bad uf the centre half wins it instead if going out of play. Not to say he cannot improve but generally looks to get us moving quickly 

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would - especially the first at Swansea. Don’t think he should be beaten at his near post at Cardiff but that wasn’t exactly terrible. 

To bring in another keeper, we have to sell Bajic, or Max. OLeary has 3 full years on his contract, unlikely to be going anywhere. 
A new goalkeeper would have to be a serious upgrade, so lower Prem or top Championship level . In our position, even with possible Scott money, highly unlikely we spend big on a keeper.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I agree that Bentley had different mistakes but I genuinely think that Over the course of a season we’d be 6-8 points better off with Bents rather than Max. 

Someone earlier said you shouldn't do stand up - I disagree - you're really funny.  Have you compared goals conceded per game before and after Max got the shirt?  

• Flames 1