IGNORED

New keeper needed

Fordy62

9 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

What about the Liverpool reserve keeper? The Irish one? 

What the one who is on the bench every single game for them?

Why on earth would they loan him out?

This is incredibly unrealistic, if we were to borrow a Prem keeper to compete with Max it would someone’s 3rd or far more likely 4th choice, not a full international one injury or suspension away from starting.

15 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Interesting point that. I wonder if that perception you have is because we seemed to concede more chances/shots when Bents was in goal because his command of his area was poor.

Max is much better at that and as a result it feels that he isn't called into shot-saving action as often

I'd imagine this is backed up by the stats. Also, we have only lost 4 games in our last 18, so it appears we might be as good as, if not a better team with Max in goal.

Statistically we've been much better defensively this year too, versus last with Bents in goal.

We have yet I’d argue neither is good enough to make us a top 6 team although I slightly prefer max to db 

35 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

What the one who is on the bench every single game for them?

Why on earth would they loan him out?

This is incredibly unrealistic, if we were to borrow a Prem keeper to compete with Max it would someone’s 3rd or far more likely 4th choice, not a full international one injury or suspension away from starting.

He’s stated in the summer he wants a permanent move

Edited by alexukhc
  • Confused 1

Not sure some are confusing Bristol City with Man City, players are going to make mistakes (will say Vyner in front of Max yesterday may not have helped his view, but maybe its classed as a mistake)

But if we are going to say a player at our level who makes an occasional mistake and cost a goal needs to be replaced, we are going to get through a lot of players

If a keeper lets a goal in, it has the same net effect as a striker or midfielder missing a good chance, so will they all need to be also replaced if they make a couple of mistakes and don't score the ones the OTIB experts say they should of scored, or a defender gets done and they score do we replace them as well?

Not saying Max has not made mistakes, but think in general he has done very well since coming in on what is his first season at this level, but of course we should have competition for places as we do all over the pitch 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

41 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Not sure some are confusing Bristol City with Man City, players are going to make mistakes (will say Vyner in front of Max yesterday may not have helped his view, but maybe its classed as a mistake)

But if we are going to say a player at our level who makes an occasional mistake and cost a goal needs to be replaced, we are going to get through a lot of players

If a keeper lets a goal in, it has the same net effect as a striker or midfielder missing a good chance, so will they all need to be also replaced if they make a couple of mistakes and don't score the ones the OTIB experts say they should of scored, or a defender gets done and they score do we replace them as well?

Not saying Max has not made mistakes, but think in general he has done very well since coming in on what is his first season at this level, but of course we should have competition for places as we do all over the pitch 

For me it’s less that we should be binning Max off, more that we need to ensure decent quality back up/competition for him and both the keepers behind him are entirely unproven at Championship level. So more about depth of squad improvement, than urgent need to improve the first team keeper. 

• Like 1

Max is underrated by a lot in my opinion. We concede a lot fewer goals now with him in the side than we used to and our best defender is out injured.  Do we NEED a new keeper? Depends what the plans are.  If we are aiming for the play offs next season then we probably need a lot of players. If we are aiming to improve again and finish top half and push on season after to the play offs then we don’t need lots.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Doesn't every keeper? If you put clips together showing a keepers errors you can make them look awful. 

Absolutely, and as I consistently note, goals are very rarely one player's fault.  Who didn't close down the scorer? Who allowed the ball to get to the scorer? Who lost the ball that gave the opponents possession in the first place?  Usually, there are a string of guilty men behind every goal conceded. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

For me it’s less that we should be binning Max off, more that we need to ensure decent quality back up/competition for him and both the keepers behind him are entirely unproven at Championship level. So more about depth of squad improvement, than urgent need to improve the first team keeper. 

Exactly. No player benefits in the long term from being a guaranteed starter……unless you are lucky enough to be in the World Class category.

On 15/04/2023 at 19:58, Numero Uno said:

Not sure about the Max Oh'Deary reference either. Not sure you have a career in stand-up to be honest...........The kid has made a few genuine errors, has had a few fantastic games, always attempts to come for the crosses and most importantly GIVES HIS ALL FOR THE SHIRT. Ridicule really doesn't seem right in this instance. He's no Bas Savage.

If the most important thing really is that he “gives his all for the shirt” then I’ll bring my gloves next time I’m down. I can also “always attempt to come for crosses”.

• Like 3

I know he's injured and out for a while but Cooper is surely the pick of the lower league keepers if that is the direction we are going. The other one I've seen a few times that looks to have very high ceiling is Toby Savin (nominative determinism). But Im not sure he's even getting into Accrington team at minute so maybe he hasn't kicked on from a few years ago. 

I like the Rushworth shout too but don't think it's too crazy to think he might get a go at Brighton next year. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

I know he's injured and out for a while but Cooper is surely the pick of the lower league keepers if that is the direction we are going. The other one I've seen a few times that looks to have very high ceiling is Toby Savin (nominative determinism). But Im not sure he's even getting into Accrington team at minute so maybe he hasn't kicked on from a few years ago. 

I like the Rushworth shout too but don't think it's too crazy to think he might get a go at Brighton next year. 

Savin is someone we’ve looked at in the past, but he doesn’t impress me at all.

On 15/04/2023 at 19:49, Fordy62 said:

I’m sorry to address the elephant in the room, but I feel I must. 

Max can be brilliant. When he’s on form he’s worthy of being called a Premier League quality keeper, he’s shown us that several times. However, keepers must be judged by their tendency to make mistakes. And however romantic I’d like to be about an academy graduate being our number one, I’m afraid too often he makes glaring errors - like today. And too often it’s… Max Oh’Deary.

We need to sign a number one in the summer to Improve.

Sorry.

I disagree. I hadn't seen the goals from Saturday until this morning and whereas he clearly made a mistake,  it wasn't anywhere near as bad as has been made out.

Some people don't rate him which is their prerogative. Trouble then  is that when he makes a mistake he is jumped on a bit. Bentley also made mistakes but the narrative tended to be 'he's a class act so we can forgive him'.

I think Max is an upgrade on Bentley though I agree we need to sign someone to properly compete with him.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1