IGNORED

New keeper needed

Fordy62

On 22/04/2023 at 22:23, BCFC Rich said:

I thought distribution was good. I think he is way more positive at coming for the ball than many championship keepers. And I think he is a proper sweeper keeper with excellent positioning - Often relieves pressure by being a passing option where lots of other keepers wouldn't. There are better shot-stoppers in this league Bents was one of those and that's often what sticks in people's minds, but I think he is very underrated.

Max is ok but his feet not good. He kicks the ball often to throw for the other team. Its a bit funny when he was starting instead of Bents NP saying he was good starting the play. 

5 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Its a bit funny when he was starting instead of Bents NP saying he was good starting the play. 

He was!

His distribution is a bit hit and miss, but in those early games it was good.

What makes a huge difference is his starting position, edge of 18, whereas Bents is edge of 6…creates a huge space between keeper and defenders.  Bents often hit back passes from near the goal-line (to the side of the goals), Max moves forward and connects outside his box.  It makes a huge difference to the distances front to back and spaces in between.

(the other thing is that he’s so much better with aerial stuff too, but that wasn’t the point to debate).

• Like 1

On 22/04/2023 at 21:34, Dr Balls said:

@Davefevs I don’t disagree with playing out from the back some of the time, probably more times than not, but the really important part is knowing when it’s definitely not appropriate to do it. We were lucky it was only Rotherham today - a better team would have punished some of our dithering at the back. 

Max clearly wants to play as a sweeper keeper and be passed the ball when it goes moved around at the back. He seems pretty good knowing when to come out and pretty good with his feet, but the risk is that he gets lulled into taking too many risks. As for his distribution, he’s reasonable and looks to get us to break quickly, although his long kicks out to the wing don’t seem any more accurate than when Frankie Fielding regularly used to hit it a foot too high for Joe Bryan to get his head onto as it sailed over the sideline! 

Does that not come with experience considering he’s still working his way up, he’s certainly a more progressive option than we’ve had in a while and bare in mind as a keeper he’s still yet to hit his prime. Along with the rest of this squad we're now building I am looking forward rather than being concerned.

2 hours ago, Magger1 said:

Max got the shirt it’s for others to take it off him but I think a experience keeper on bench to keep him on toes is definitely needed

My issue is that an 'experienced keeper' to sit on the bench is a considerable expense.  If you bring someone in better than Max fine, but then Max will probably leave and you are back to 'bringing in an experienced keeper to sit on the bench' to cover, doubling your expense.

I am more than happy to leave Max as the No1.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hxj said:

My issue is that an 'experienced keeper' to sit on the bench is a considerable expense.  If you bring someone in better than Max fine, but then Max will probably leave and you are back to 'bringing in an experienced keeper to sit on the bench' to cover, doubling your expense.

I am more than happy to leave Max as the No1.

Not sure about this, there are plenty of goalkeepers out there, some of whom won’t have clubs.

To me this issue all depends on Bajic’s future, if he doesn’t want to return or doesn’t look the part in pre season then we need someone else.

If he comes back & does ok then we’re sorted for a deputy with both him & Wiles-Richards competing to be back up.

An experienced keeper provides more competition and also may have some attributes that he can help Max with, it’s a no brainer that it’ll be beneficial to bring one in providing that they have the right attitude to be more of a squad member initially and will have to wait for their chance

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fammyfan said:

An experienced keeper provides more competition and also may have some attributes that he can help Max with, it’s a no brainer that it’ll be beneficial to bring one in providing that they have the right attitude to be more of a squad member initially and will have to wait for their chance

The article mentions 6 keepers. My take is that Pearson will only recruit if none of the 5 apart from Max show they're of the requisite standard pre-season.

He is rightly giving Max his backing. I'm amazed at some of the criticism he gets. He's an excellent keeper.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Bard said:

The article mentions 6 keepers. My take is that Pearson will only recruit if none of the 5 apart from Max show they're of the requisite standard pre-season.

He is rightly giving Max his backing. I'm amazed at some of the criticism he gets. He's an excellent keeper.

Agreed that it’s right for Nige to give Max his backing, happy with Max as number one and he’s certainly earned it.

That being said, whilst happy with Max being number one, an experienced keeper would provide healthy competition.

Should we proceed without signing an experienced back up goalkeeper, it would be an enormous amount of pressure on the replacement goalkeeper in the event that something happened to Max outside of the transfer/loan window. We could dive into the free agent market but there would be the requirement to train the keeper up to match fitness. There’s also the emergency loan option but this is only available with no goalkeepers available.