IGNORED

New keeper needed

Fordy62

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I agree that Bentley had different mistakes but I genuinely think that Over the course of a season we’d be 6-8 points better off with Bents rather than Max. 

This. 
I dont feel like Max earns us points whereas Bentley most definitely did. 
New GK required please to be No 1 next season. Max can warm his academy backside on the bench. 
Dont get me wrong, we all like academy grad’s to make the first team, BUT, they must be good enough. Im afraid Max isnt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A younger version of Niki Maenpaa would be ideal. The sort of keeper who didn’t have to make too many spectacular saves because his positioning was so good. He had stature, commanded his area and a quiet authority that gave the defence confidence.  He is 38 now and I do remember the poor decision to go for David James who was a bit older.  So age means he’s not really a forward thinking option even if available but I was very impressed with him. A class above both Bents and Max. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

33 minutes ago, Malago said:

Max has made three mistakes this season which have cost us.  Early on, after replacing Bents, he come charging off his line and missed a punch when we were already losing.

He let a shot in against Preston when we were 2-0 up.  We won 2-1.

And today he let a shot in when we were already losing.

None of his mistakes have directly cost us points.

He recently signed a long term contract, so the club clearly believes in him

Do we need another championship standard keeper to challenge Max.  Absolutely.

Should we throw him under the bus because of today? I think not.

How about charging off his line v WBA at home. 2nd goal his fault, based on another error where he didnt come out as he shouldve for their first. 
Hes a number 2 and Nige will certainly see that as hes had the luxury of starts since Jan due to our GK situation. I dont feel he’ll get the luxury of Nige giving him No 1 shirt time next season. 

1 hour ago, bexhill reds said:

Bentley might have made more dramatic saves, but had sod all command of his box, and was shit with his distribution, Max on the other hand might make the odd ticket, but you trust him to come and catch or punch and get the ball moving quickly. I’d argue on that front Max is the better keeper

Sadly, this is the way the game seems

to be going.

In another 10 years time, Pep’ll have Man City playing with a fly goalkeeper (see Futsal for context).

1 minute ago, nickolas said:

This. 
I dont feel like Max earns us points whereas Bentley most definitely did. 

Interesting point that. I wonder if that perception you have is because we seemed to concede more chances/shots when Bents was in goal because his command of his area was poor.

Max is much better at that and as a result it feels that he isn't called into shot-saving action as often

I'd imagine this is backed up by the stats. Also, we have only lost 4 games in our last 18, so it appears we might be as good as, if not a better team with Max in goal.

Statistically we've been much better defensively this year too, versus last with Bents in goal.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

A younger version of Niki Maenpaa would be ideal. The sort of keeper who didn’t have to make too many spectacular saves because his positioning was so good. He had stature, commanded his area and a quiet authority that gave the defence confidence.  He is 38 now and I do remember the poor decision to go for David James who was a bit older.  So age means he’s not really a forward thinking option even if available but I was very impressed with him. A class above both Bents and Max. 

Ah Maenpaa my sweet prince. I'm always so happy he's having a lovely bloody time in Venice.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

To bring in another keeper, we have to sell Bajic, or Max. OLeary has 3 full years on his contract, unlikely to be going anywhere. 
A new goalkeeper would have to be a serious upgrade, so lower Prem or top Championship level . In our position, even with possible Scott money, highly unlikely we spend big on a keeper.

I’m not sure we do.

Bajic has gone back to France pretty sharpish & he won’t be on very high wages.

My hunch is that he would prefer to remain in France so either we send him on a season long loan over there or someone takes him off our hands permanently.

His wages won’t be a millstone around our necks the way those of Palmer or Kalas have been.

As for a new keeper as has already been said what we need is credible competition for Max, that doesn’t have to cost us anything, there a decent keepers out of contract this summer who could provide this, the Reading keeper Southwood who has played every game this season on loan at Cheltenham for one.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’m not sure we do.

Bajic has gone back to France pretty sharpish & he won’t be on very high wages.

My hunch is that he would prefer to remain in France so either we send him on a season long loan over there or someone takes him off our hands permanently.

His wages won’t be a millstone around our necks the way those of Palmer or Kalas have been.

As for a new keeper as has already been said what we need is credible competition for Max, that doesn’t have to cost us anything, there a decent keepers out of contract this summer who could provide this, the Reading keeper Southwood who has played every game this season on loan at Cheltenham for one.

One thing Nige has said is he will only sign players to improve the side, are better than we have. We have a solid Championship Keeper, IMO to sign an upgrade will cost. Bajic was deemed not first team ready but needed games, if that has changed then I agree, we can find back up. But people are talking of a Top 6 Championship Keeper being needed, we probably need 5/6 outfield players to make up a squad and IMO that means spending a big chunk of the budget on a GK is unlikely. Not out of the question as they will play cards close to their chest, but unlikely.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Interesting point that. I wonder if that perception you have is because we seemed to concede more chances/shots when Bents was in goal because his command of his area was poor.

Max is much better at that and as a result it feels that he isn't called into shot-saving action as often

I'd imagine this is backed up by the stats. Also, we have only lost 4 games in our last 18, so it appears we might be as good as, if not a better team with Max in goal.

Statistically we've been much better defensively this year too, versus last with Bents in goal.

I think this is an often missed point (with the caveat I don’t think Max is the answer).

Similar to if a defender has to make a tackle, his positioning is wrong, a keeper making a save is in part a failure of command of his defence.

Worked example - my 11 year old is a keeper (and pretty good tbh). We had a long conversation in the summer about starting position as he felt he played well because of his saves, I felt he could do better and not have to make saves. 

He now orders his defence around ridiculously, the starting position is virtual sweeper and he’s conceding less than a goal a game at under 11. He got loads of MoM votes a few weeks ago purely from command - he made zero saves.

Good keepers don’t need to make saves.

• Robin 1

35 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Surprised so many people are writing Bajic off...

Hes 21, French under 21 and playing games a much higher level than most keepers his age. I think he will come good.

Serious question, what level do you think that a side in the bottom 5 of the French second division is?

I would be amazed if the standard was even League One, with the exception of the top sides.

Surprised me on another thread when folk were indicating Vyner would be the priority to replace. We’re poor at converting good quality possession into good quality chances in attack and keeper isn’t a strength. That said, much prefer Max to DB, who in my view made lots of Harlem Globetrotters-esque saves whilst (or as a result of) being pretty poor at most basics of goalkeeping (commanding area, communicating with defence, distribution etc). 

• Like 2

Anyone mentioned Reading at home and their equaliser yet?

Free kick to the edge of our box is won by Carroll prompting O'Leary to wander off his line into no-man's land, he gets nowhere near claiming it, allowing Joao a simple header into an empty net. Poor.

All rather reminiscent of Millwall's winner at our place - free kick to the edge of the box, O'Leary out of his goal but gets nowhere near claiming it, Millwall player presented with a simple tap in into an empty net. Poor.

There's a pattern here.

It's a No from me but I completely get why other positions are a priority at the moment.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m sorry to address the elephant in the room, but I feel I must. 

Max can be brilliant. When he’s on form he’s worthy of being called a Premier League quality keeper, he’s shown us that several times. However, keepers must be judged by their tendency to make mistakes. And however romantic I’d like to be about an academy graduate being our number one, I’m afraid too often he makes glaring errors - like today. And too often it’s… Max Oh’Deary.

We need to sign a number one in the summer to Improve.

Sorry.

He's too soft for me, his kicking also irritates me, often goes for a throw in. He has recently conceded Soft goals against Swansea and 2nd goal Cardiff scored against us, poor with the 2nd goal today, poor goal conceded against Preston at Deepdale. We won't challenge further up the table when our Goalkeeper is susceptible to throwing one in randomly. 

He's a good Number 2 at this level, nothing more

in opinion  (only opinion not fact) to my memory, at the start of the season, we were scoring goals for fun but leaking them almost as much.. our back line and keeper has changed compared to that run (inevitably our tactics with this to) and our defensive game has improved. we’ve changed from a 5 at the back to a four but our CB’s and our keeper have changed. CB’s might not be by choice tbf due to injuries (I’d much rather have Atkinson at lcb than pring) but who would’ve thought at the start of season we would be happy to see vyner and max starting over kalas and Bentley. My point being we may not be world beaters but the current set up has more than shown they are up to the challenge and have fight about them.. and more importantly they can get results. It’s not perfect but we are moving forward and I think max is a part of that. In a short answer to a long ramble max has been an important part of the team this year (or rather second half of the season) and at current fully deserving of his chance, mistakes happen and goalkeepers are highlighted more so due to the normally fatal nature of them but since he’s come in I wouldn’t put him out of place in the championship far less say it’s a problem position for us.

Edited by london_Cider_red
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Serious question, what level do you think that a side in the bottom 5 of the French second division is?

I would be amazed if the standard was even League One, with the exception of the top sides.

If its league one or league two that's higher than most 21 year old keepers.

Why do we need to put him down? It's an achievement not something to beat him with.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, DaveF said:

If its league one or league two that's higher than most 21 year old keepers.

Why do we need to put him down? It's an achievement not something to beat him with.

Agree with this, we signed the lad on a free, if he was in league one or two would fit the mould of what we look for to sign. Might not be game ready just yet but no need to slate the lad. Has a solid 10 to even 15 years, no need for decisive action on him now 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

To bring in another keeper, we have to sell Bajic, or Max. OLeary has 3 full years on his contract, unlikely to be going anywhere. 
A new goalkeeper would have to be a serious upgrade, so lower Prem or top Championship level . In our position, even with possible Scott money, highly unlikely we spend big on a keeper.

How hard/expensive would it be to get an upgrade on O'Leary. He is average at best.

Amazing that whoever plays In goal for us if he makes a mistake according to otib he has to be replaced. Nige obviously rates Max, he's still young for a keeper and improving , we may need another keeper if Bajic is judged to be unsuitable as cover but that's it. If there's a keeper out there that's perfect and available he won't be coming to AG.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

If there is to be another goalkeeper brought in, then who fits the bill, and is a realistic option?

I would consider karl darlow to be a top end championship keeper who is out on loan so potentially available? Whether hed come and whether wages are doable is another matter? Undoubtedly an upgrade though!

10 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

One thing Nige has said is he will only sign players to improve the side, are better than we have. We have a solid Championship Keeper, IMO to sign an upgrade will cost. Bajic was deemed not first team ready but needed games, if that has changed then I agree, we can find back up. But people are talking of a Top 6 Championship Keeper being needed, we probably need 5/6 outfield players to make up a squad and IMO that means spending a big chunk of the budget on a GK is unlikely. Not out of the question as they will play cards close to their chest, but unlikely.

Isn’t it really that we will sign players who we think “potentially” are better than what we have.

Last summer we signed Bajic, was he better than Bentley? Clearly not. O’Leary? Maybe we thought so, but it hasn’t panned out that way yet.

We signed Wilson, is he better than Tanner? Doesn’t look like it.

For me we need a better alternative to Max than Bajic, if he comes back & proves me wrong, fair play, but I don’t think you need to spend very much if anything to get a decent enough keeper to compete with Max.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

I wonder will we see Harvey WR get some minutes in the last few games? I honestly have no idea how good/ready the guy is. Watching him warm-up yesterday he's maybe an inch shorter than Max but looked a little broader in the chest and shoulders. Only 20 years old so probably some way from properly challenging Max, but I think it would be nice to see him play in one of these games.

5 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

How hard/expensive would it be to get an upgrade on O'Leary. He is average at best.

We are a below average Championship side, with FFP worries and need 4,5 or even 6 players to make a squad for next season.
I'd say to get someone that much better as to make a signing worthwhile isn't that straight forward or easy.

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

I would consider karl darlow to be a top end championship keeper who is out on loan so potentially available? Whether hed come and whether wages are doable is another matter? Undoubtedly an upgrade though!

Just looked and at 32, 50 games in 5 years and it looks like he would cost around £1million + .
Doubt it

In respect of Bajic, goalkeepers especially in a lot of cases hardly peak or show their best age 21/22. Too soon to definitively judge.

Wilson is 23 and had injuries, we haven't seen much of him. Tanner is the man in possession of course but ideally you need 2 for each position. Could always look to sell Wilson and get someone else in, possibly the RB vs WB issue a factor.

13 hours ago, spudski said:

What do you think of the keeper at Orient Dave? 

Whenever I watch him, I think his distribution would suit our style of play. 

Plus he's a decent shot stopper has height and presence. 

It would have to be a Vigoroux scouting process!!!

Seriously though, I’ve not seen anything of him since he was at Swindon.