IGNORED

New keeper needed

Fordy62

15 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If the most important thing really is that he “gives his all for the shirt” then I’ll bring my gloves next time I’m down. I can also “always attempt to come for crosses”.

What a pathetic response along with the total weapon who gave it a like too. It's fine to think a player is not good enough but why do you think it is all good for posters to ridicule them with a pretty shit play on his name that isn't even funny? To anyone with even the smallest brain cell it is completely obvious that was the reason I referred to him as giving his all for the shirt. Nothing to do with people's prerogative to express an opinion on whether Max is good enough or not. You are either being as thick as shit on this occasion and lacking in basic comprehension skills, a sarcastic nob also failing miserably in the humour department or a complete and utter tool - I can't make up my mind which one it is to be honest.

Edited by Numero Uno

I do wonder if people actually look at other teams keepers and compare mistakes or just enjoy slagging off our own players more. I'm not saying Max is the greatest ever but a look at the goals conceded on any edition of Match of the day will give examples of mistakes and poor efforts. Just this week Pope's poor effort for a half hit Villa third goal and although Ramsdale made some worldies against Liverpool it was a pretty tame effort for West Ham's second yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Personally not a huge fan of O'Leary, too many mistakes in him and doesn't save us enough to accept the mistakes. Not very commanding and never fills me with confidence from set pieces. Joel Robles and Loris Karius out of contract in the summer, both premier league and European experience, not on huge wages, both been in England for quite a while so presume decent English. People will slate the Karius shout because they watched him come into a top side straight into the UCL final, all the pressure on him in the world and had concussion.

10 minutes ago, BCFCAL said:

Personally not a huge fan of O'Leary, too many mistakes in him and doesn't save us enough to accept the mistakes. Not very commanding and never fills me with confidence from set pieces. Joel Robles and Loris Karius out of contract in the summer, both premier league and European experience, not on huge wages, both been in England for quite a while so presume decent English. People will slate the Karius shout because they watched him come into a top side straight into the UCL final, all the pressure on him in the world and had concussion.

What kind of (not huge) wages do you think Karius and Robles are on?  Do you think they’d come here (regardless of anyone’s thoughts on ability) for £10k p.w.?

I don’t, but that’s just my opinion.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What kind of (not huge) wages do you think Karius and Robles are on?  Do you think they’d come here (regardless of anyone’s thoughts on ability) for £10k p.w.?

I don’t, but that’s just my opinion.

Had a look before I posted on here, and as far as I could see, £10k and £12k respectively, with both seemingly needing to reduce wages as they're not in their starting XIs.

Who knows if they'd come here, but would be good experienced players, and I think a keeper must be on Nige's RADAR after the whole Maenpaa fiasco.

Edited by BCFCAL

6 minutes ago, BCFCAL said:

Had a look before I posted on here, and as far as I could see, £10k and £12k respectively, with both seemingly needing to reduce wages as they're not in their starting XIs.

Who knows if they'd come here, but would be good experienced players, and I think a keeper must be on Nige's RADAR after the whole Maenpaa fiasco.

I wouldn’t know their wages but FM suggests Robles £39k p.w. And Karius £30k p.w.  Where did you look, Sportrac?

6 minutes ago, BCFCAL said:

Looked at 4/5, including Sportrac. Didn't look at FM though

They are all unreliable, best guess type stuff, as is FM.

FWIW I don’t think Karius signed for Liverpool for £6m and only wanted £10k p.w…do you honestly think that?  Similar with Robles from Atletico to Everton.

But I don’t know.

Neither will end up anywhere near Bristol City imho.  But that’s all it is, my opinion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

What a pathetic response along with the total weapon who gave it a like too. It's fine to think a player is not good enough but why do you think it is all good for posters to ridicule them with a pretty shit play on his name that isn't even funny? To anyone with even the smallest brain cell it is completely obvious that was the reason I referred to him as giving his all for the shirt. Nothing to do with people's prerogative to express an opinion on whether Max is good enough or not. You are either being as thick as shit on this occasion and lacking in basic comprehension skills, a sarcastic nob also failing miserably in the humour department or a complete and utter tool - I can't make up my mind which one it is to be honest.

A truly bizarre overreaction. It’s a football forum. Grow up.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Look what you’ve done @Fordy62

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Should probably get an early night mate. 

• Like 1

I think he’s a very average keeper at this mid/lower level of the championship & probably an extremely good keeper at the level below.

Its not an area that we need to address this summer due to other needs and he is currently doing a decent enough job overall but potentially the summer after depending on how we are looking at progressing (play-offs ect).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

Remember the good old days of Richard O'Donnell letting in goals from the halfway line?

No?

Anyway, this was him yesterday.

My memory is that O'Donnell had a few decent games for us but let a bit of a nightmare goal in and subsequently went to pieces. Not sure if that memory is fair or exaggerated though.  

34 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

Remember the good old days of Richard O'Donnell letting in goals from the halfway line?

No?

Anyway, this was him yesterday.

Give him a break. It was bonfire night and there were pretty fireworks. Yesterday excuse was that it had just been Easter. 

• Like 1

On 19/04/2023 at 15:58, LondonBristolian said:

My memory is that O'Donnell had a few decent games for us but let a bit of a nightmare goal in and subsequently went to pieces. Not sure if that memory is fair or exaggerated though.  

It’s fair. Looked excellent when he signed, turned to pot after a couple of errors. Not sure he had mental strength for a championship keeper. 

• Like 1

On 17/04/2023 at 14:49, Gimme Shelton said:

I do wonder if people actually look at other teams keepers and compare mistakes or just enjoy slagging off our own players more. I'm not saying Max is the greatest ever but a look at the goals conceded on any edition of Match of the day will give examples of mistakes and poor efforts. Just this week Pope's poor effort for a half hit Villa third goal and although Ramsdale made some worldies against Liverpool it was a pretty tame effort for West Ham's second yesterday.

I have only just read this thread, but, in support of your argument, only this week De Gea and Ramsdale (again) spring to mind.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gratz260689 said:

After today I will stick to my opinion we need a new keeper for next season, dodgy kicking and seems too always put the defence under pressure!! 

I thought his distribution was very good today, recall at least three quick “passes” that got us on the break.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought his distribution was very good today, recall at least three quick “passes” that got us on the break.

The distribution is reasonably good. However there are times when he just needs to take a goal kick long or clear it long . What’s with Naismith taking goal kicks backwards towards O’Leary in front of the goal? The faffing around between the two of them at the back is an opposition goal waiting to happen.

13 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

The distribution is reasonably good. However there are times when he just needs to take a goal kick long or clear it long . What’s with Naismith taking goal kicks backwards towards O’Leary in front of the goal? The faffing around between the two of them at the back is an opposition goal waiting to happen.

That was one bit of poor play where either needs to take responsibility and belt it up front…as Andy King told them afterwards.

But give them credit for trying to play / be brave and slowly change the way we are trying to play.

• Like 1

I thought distribution was good. I think he is way more positive at coming for the ball than many championship keepers. And I think he is a proper sweeper keeper with excellent positioning - Often relieves pressure by being a passing option where lots of other keepers wouldn't. There are better shot-stoppers in this league Bents was one of those and that's often what sticks in people's minds, but I think he is very underrated.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That was one bit of poor play where either needs to take responsibility and belt it up front…as Andy King told them afterwards.

But give them credit for trying to play / be brave and slowly change the way we are trying to play.

@Davefevs I don’t disagree with playing out from the back some of the time, probably more times than not, but the really important part is knowing when it’s definitely not appropriate to do it. We were lucky it was only Rotherham today - a better team would have punished some of our dithering at the back. 

Max clearly wants to play as a sweeper keeper and be passed the ball when it goes moved around at the back. He seems pretty good knowing when to come out and pretty good with his feet, but the risk is that he gets lulled into taking too many risks. As for his distribution, he’s reasonable and looks to get us to break quickly, although his long kicks out to the wing don’t seem any more accurate than when Frankie Fielding regularly used to hit it a foot too high for Joe Bryan to get his head onto as it sailed over the sideline! 

Edited by Dr Balls

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

First time I've seen both King, and Vyner on a number of occasions having a right go at Max today.

There was something about his demeanour today that didn't inspire confidence in the back line.

You could tell the plan he had been told was to get the ball to Naismith asap, but either by wayward throws, passes or general head in the clouds moments, Max failed to recognise on a number of occasions that we just needed to clear our lines.

It feels like if Hakin was still here now, he would be in for the last few games, to see what he's like. There's no pressure on Max at the moment, as we're hardly likely to bring Wiles-Richards in.

All a bit of a strange season keeper wise for us. Lots of comings and goings, new contracts, and loans abroad. Very little actual progression planning (beyond MOL's new contract)

52 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

All a bit of a strange season keeper wise for us. Lots of comings and goings, new contracts, and loans abroad. Very little actual progression planning (beyond MOL's new contract).

As far as we know, it looks like it’s O’Leary, Bajic and Wiles-Richards next season.  Maybe there’s nothing left to progression plan with Casa-Grande and Duncan?

On 17/04/2023 at 10:15, the1stknowle said:

I like the Rushworth shout too but don't think it's too crazy to think he might get a go at Brighton next year. 

Brighton just signed new big money keeper so you’d imagine Rushworth might be looking around. 

If Brighton do bid for Alex, getting Rushworth as part of deal might be a possibility now. (All very speculative). 

13 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

Brighton just signed new big money keeper so you’d imagine Rushworth might be looking around. 

If Brighton do bid for Alex, getting Rushworth as part of deal might be a possibility now. (All very speculative). 

Good keeper, would get him in a heartbeat.

• Like 1