IGNORED

What are your immediate end of season thoughts?

Jerseybean

OK; we're getting there.

21/22 15 wins. 22/23 15 wins, but four more draws = 4 more points and finished three places higher.

Looking upwards Coventry & Sunderland in the Play offs with 18 wins, just three more than us but four less defeats.

7th placed Blackburn had a -2 goal diff to our -1. We seem to be OK with scoring therefore, just a tighter defence please and City will move up that table.

• Like 1

Nice to end on an away win, well played lads, and respect to those who traveled today.

Overall, pretty much what I was anticipating for this season.

Off to bask in the afterglow of mid-table obscurity.

Looking forward to 2023/4 and hoping for a top 10 finish, IF we can secure some good deals (in and out) over the summer.

COYR!!

OTIB

I’ve really enjoyed this season in the main, the second half of it in particular. We now have a clear way of playing and threats all over the place and we’re exciting to watch. We have homegrown players performing well and developing quickly and it’s great to feel like we’re heading in the right direction. A bit more ruthlessness in both boxes, which will hopefully come with some new signings, and we can be there or thereabouts next season. 

There’s a real sense of togetherness between players and fans that we haven’t had for some time as well. I’m really looking forward to seeing what this group, with a few additions, can achieve.

COYR 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Dont get why people keep comparing Big Nige to LJ. Had a fraction of what LJ and have started to shake off that soft touch label we had since Cotts went. Good finish to the season with academy boys featuring really well and we have identity. 

Who’s making that comparison?   :dunno:
To me there is no comparison. Nige is a proper manager and LJ is……….not.

If Nige had had the resources that LJ had City would be in PL by now.  Sadly he and Ashton financially messed up leaving a serious risk of the club falling foul to the FFP regulations. Nige has had to significantly reduce the wage bill as a consequence.

Ashton has done at Ipswich what he did here, signing numerous players and they’ll likely fall foul of FFP eventually.

• Like 4

Feel like we are in a big transitional period for the club on and off the pitch and the last few seasons including this one felt like we just needed to hang on in the championship whilst bringing youth team players whilst spending wisely. 

In that sense we have achieved this with great success this season, 59 points isn't the worst points tally in the world, comfortably midtable. Pearson is slowly weeding out the players he doesn't trust and cultivating a team that he trusts and will fight for every ball and every game.

However we are going to be in a massive cash windfall next season potentially with the Scott sale, next season I would like us to be in the shout of the play offs, 65-70 points whilst bringing through youngsters and being in the market wisely. 

Overall, the clubs in a steady, stable position, mid table championship team and I am content with that for the time being. Finances seem a lot more controlled, there seems to be a direction on what we are looking for in the transfer market now. Still think it's a steady, building process and may take a few more years then people would like to seriously challenge this division but I'm content. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Nige said today there's a contract on the table for Dasilva, strange thing to see if we've got two new LBs almost secured

I think whatever offers tbat are for him and Kalas are a “we’d still want you but for X, we’re here if you need us and if you’re struggling for offers elsewhere”… which will be much lower than the current, and likely much lower than they’d get elsewhere. Keeping the door open, as Nige says is always the case for the right people. 

Don’t want to call it a token gesture, but I’d say it’s not far off being one and probably deserved for JD given how well he’s played since January. But the fact that the club tried to get him out the door and let him say his goodbyes before the Currie deal collapsed in Jan is quite a telling sign. That + JD waving goodbye to all the away fans by himself after the game earlier. 

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 3

Lots of games where I felt frustrated for an hour or two afterwards, but then that bigger picture feeling kicked in. Most areas of the pitch have improved. The fitness and ability is there, just a bit more nous is needed.

The younger players will be another year older, the new players we've brought in will be a bit more integrated, even more new players will come in. In many ways this felt like the season before something big. I really hope so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gert Mare said:

Could have been worse? We could have failed to get our finances in order and ended up in League One like Reading.

What we have achieved this season cannot be underestimated.

Agree it could have been worse but it could also have been better. Since January we have played OK and at times well but around Xmas we were as bad as I’ve seen in a long time.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Huge reduction in wage bill, youngsters bloodied and didn’t look like going down.  At Xmas time I said that for me, Pearson had until the end of this season to show he could take us forward and that his plan had merit.  A big part of the upturn in my opinion was the switch to the back four. It ultimately doesn’t matter whether he was forced into that or not (I think he was btw).  Overall, we can all be excited by next season.  B+ season rating. 

Going to 4 at the back saved our season. No doubt.

Edited by TonyTonyTony

19 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I think whatever offers tbat are for him and Kalas are a “we’d still want you but for X, we’re here if you need us and if you’re struggling for offers elsewhere”… which will be much lower than the current, and likely much lower than they’d get elsewhere. Keeping the door open, as Nige says is always the case for the right people. 

Don’t want to call it a token gesture, but I’d say it’s not far off being one and probably deserved for JD given how well he’s played since January. But the fact that the club tried to get him out the door and let him say his goodbyes before the Currie deal collapsed in Jan is quite a telling sign. That + JD waving goodbye to all the away fans by himself after the game earlier. 

Re Dasilva:

IMG_7314.thumb.jpeg.525e2978b18ce9c14220af58c64e1953.jpeg

“there’s been” my two plus two equals five is earlier in the season we put an offer on the table, but Jay knows he can get better elsewhere and will be leaving.

Re Kalas:

IMG_7315.thumb.jpeg.78f8160f9c6fd1938fca74e1aa9de60e.jpeg

my two plus two on this one is there’s an offer there, but it’s less than Tomas wants to accept whilst he’s testing the water elsewhere.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Re Dasilva:

IMG_7314.thumb.jpeg.525e2978b18ce9c14220af58c64e1953.jpeg

“there’s been” my two plus two equals five is earlier in the season we put an offer on the table, but Jay knows he can get better elsewhere and will be leaving.

Re Kalas:

IMG_7315.thumb.jpeg.78f8160f9c6fd1938fca74e1aa9de60e.jpeg

my two plus two on this one is there’s an offer there, but it’s less than Tomas wants to accept whilst he’s testing the water elsewhere.

All seems pretty fair and reasonable from all parties tbh

• Like 3

It’s been a good season. Feels like a lot of the much needed spring cleaning behind the scenes has taken place and we have a good platform to move forward from.

Our lowest moment away at Birmingham (IMO) was a turning point. It gave NP real clarity on what changes were needed with key personnel. 

Expectations need to be managed in terms of what we can achieve. Can lower league signings be coached/developed to be better than the likes of De Silva/Kalas? Only time will tell and determine whether we can be a top 10 team. 

Fans have been very good throughout and have recognised the transition the club is going through.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

I believe that this season has seen the tanker start slowly moving in the right direction.  It spluttered a bit then started going forward at Millwall.  Since then you can see us clearly progressing.  Our form has been just off top 6 form.  Unless our signings are a disaster or something mad happens, we will be a much better side next season even if Alex Scott leaves.    By relying on a minimal squad for this period, we have a got a solid base and can add to that and be much stronger overall.  We're watching a proper manager at this level in action.  I just hope the Lansdowns don't do anything stupid or a new owner doesn't feel the need to change manager.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

This season has been the first step forward for a while. Previously we have done housekeeping, repairs and some patching up and laying foundations. 
Now this feels like we are starting to actually build something and move on.
We have the bones of a decent squad. 
We have a side willing to work hard.
We have some promising young talent, even if Scott goes.
We have an idea how the team wants to play.
We have a squad who seem to know their roles.
And we have targets to fill out and boost the squad.
I genuinely feel we have reason to be optimistic for next Season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

I’m a glass half empty man tonight. We finished  the season OK but let’s not forget how bad we were around Xmas. 10 points off the playoffs is 1 worse than when LJ got sacked. So I’m not sure the only statistic that counts says we have improved. 

having said that the youngsters breaking through is very exciting and since mid Jan we have played some good football. 

Next season is a no excuses season for NP. We need a good start and by that I mean wins not just nice football. It’s going to be tough again but we should be challenging for a playoff spot not happy to finish in the bottom half again.

COYR

Coventry bottom for a long time at the start of this season, look at where they are now.  

QPR top at October now look at them, a fast start doesn't mean anything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Who’s making that comparison?   :dunno:
To me there is no comparison. Nige is a proper manager and LJ is……….not.

If Nige had had the resources that LJ had City would be in PL by now.  Sadly he and Ashton financially messed up leaving a serious risk of the club falling foul to the FFP regulations. Nige has had to significantly reduce the wage bill as a consequence.

Ashton has done at Ipswich what he did here, signing numerous players and they’ll likely fall foul of FFP eventually.

LJ still had to constantly sell his best players in his defence and turned a big profit. However we have done this to death so I’m not going back over LJ again. 

No more free passes next season for Nige from me, he’s sorted out the mess but going in to next season it  will more or less be his squad, im really looking forward to seeing how we do and what signings we make,  there has to be progress though, im wanting a top 10 finish. 

Edited by Rob k
  • Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, Rob k said:

LJ still had to constantly sell his best players in his defence and turned a big profit. However we have done this to death so I’m not going back over LJ again. 

No more free passes next season for Nige from me, he’s sorted out the mess but going in to next season it  will more or less be his squad, im really looking forward to seeing how we do and what signings we make,  there has to be progress though, im wanting a top 10 finish. 

That applies to every Championship club, including Nige who had to sell Semenyo in January. It’s normal practice.

• Like 7
  • Hmmm 1

Having seen the days over 50 years ago when Alan Dicks was struggling without much money to spend on better players while he developed his youngsters, I can see so many similar good things happening at City now. 

The time span from 1967 to 1972 is longer than the two and half seasons since Pearson and Gould (#) began the recovery. But the introduction of so many good young and inexperienced, together with the clearing of the deadwood has happened so quickly.

As an eternal realist or even pessimistic, I can see so many good things happening at City. How long it will take to give it a real go at promotion is not yet clear. The next season or two are going to be when Bristol City become recognised as a force in English football instead of an also ran who are more likely to go down than up.

(#) sorry, forgot to include Tinnion.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 5

Apart from the odd hiccup we now feel like a proper professionally run club, with everyone pulling in the same direction and singing from the same hymn sheet. It's good to have a CEO who does his job and is not continually seeking the limelight and reflected glory.

The real bonus from the financial straightjacket of the last 2 years is the emergence of young players able to step up to championship football and become fixtures in the team, the realisation that there are more like this coming through and that the academy is a tremendous asset for the future. 

Looking forward to what could well be an "interesting" season.

• Like 1

I said at the start of the season that I wanted to see:

1) Better home form

2) A few more youngsters pushing their way through into the first team.

3) A decent cup run

Well we had all of those things. All in all, I’m happy with the progress we’ve seen this season. Four points better off and three league positions doesn’t seem like much but it’s a world away from the nadir of the end of the 20-21 season when we were setting records on successive home losses and fewest attempts on goal.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 2

Stats aside, just the progress of the young and younger players has been a joy. Such a shame about Benarous and Massengo with promise refusing to sign  a contract put himself in thst position but anyway...

The emergence of Bell and Conway

The continued rise of Scott.

Although not academy roducts, Tanner and Atkinson continuing their development.

Then okay not young as such but not particularly old either but the unexpected return to prominence of O'Leary and Vyner.

Plus of course Pring making LB his own- DaSilva has his attributes and is excellent technically but Pring can just give us that X Factor in that position.

Anyway all of this, it's been great to seen.

Mehmeti is also under 23 isn't he, intrigued to see what he can do with a full pre season behind him.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Agree it could have been worse but it could also have been better. Since January we have played OK and at times well but around Xmas we were as bad as I’ve seen in a long time.

We had two bad games around Christmas, Stoke and West Brom. Before that we had a really good performance against Watford and a win against Rotherham away. After those games we had draws away at Coventry and Millwall.

For me those two games were the worst of our season and to have only a couple of bad games in an entire season isn't too bad and to me gives me huge optimism for the future. Even the likes of Coventry have conceded 4 on occasions this season, we've not done that. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

A solid season which, given what has occurred in recent years, a breath of fresh air.

Lots of very positive signs with the progression of players.

It is hugely significant we now have a much improved financial situation.

Inevitably Scott will leave. It has been a real pleasure watching his development.

A very exciting summer ahead with the first time NP not being hamstrung (relatively) re money.

Very optimistic for next season.