IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

On 26/06/2023 at 22:15, Kid in the Riot said:

The thing I still don't really get tho is: Millwall.

They have one of the lower wage bills in the division, so I'm just struggling to see them matching what we were offering. And if that's the case then, as noble as Joe Bryan may be, it's a bit mad to think that he's turned down a bigger offer at his hometown club to stay in London with a higher cost of living, on less money.

Maybe Milwall are matching our offer...in which case he'd have to be one of, if not their highest earner, I'd have thought. 

For a mere mortal like you and I maybe, but the wages Joe will have picked up over the last few seasons will probably just be enough to stop him from having to sleep in the doorway of the local Lidl.....

Unless he or Nige comes out and says what those reservations were we'll never know.  

It's the age old adage that gets rolled out time and again in football - Never go back.  He left having had his best season for us and on a real high.  Perhaps his reservations were purely and simply that he could become another statistic to that adage and would rather leave his time here as a fond memory.  Who knows? Well....besides Joe & Nige? 

• Like 3

On 27/06/2023 at 15:14, Bristol Oil Services said:

I don’t see Millwall taking to Joe. 1, there's his relaxed attitude to rolling his sleeves up and getting back goal-side (source: @Harry), and 2. He has publicly admitted he reads books. Plus he has openly talked about his mental health. And his dad is educated and clever.

A few ropey performances early doors and that'll be it, he'll be a "I love you."

With such a reliable source it must be correct ?

19 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

For a mere mortal like you and I maybe, but the wages Joe will have picked up over the last few seasons will probably just be enough to stop him from having to sleep in the doorway of the local Lidl.....

Unless he or Nige comes out and says what those reservations were we'll never know.  

It's the age old adage that gets rolled out time and again in football - Never go back.  He left having had his best season for us and on a real high.  Perhaps his reservations were purely and simply that he could become another statistic to that adage and would rather leave his time here as a fond memory.  Who knows? Well....besides Joe & Nige? 

Personally for me he's burned his bridges with our fanbase. When he returns to Ashton Gate he won't get a round of applause from me. 

He agreed a deal with us and then for whatever reason he changed his mind. I don't like that sort of messing about. You don't agree a deal in the 1st instance if you have any doubts.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Personally for me he's burned his bridges with our fanbase. When he returns to Ashton Gate he won't get a round of applause from me. 

He agreed a deal with us and then for whatever reason he changed his mind. I don't like that sort of messing about. You don't agree a deal in the 1st instance if you have any doubts.

If you listen to Nigel Pearsons interview, it does not sound like a deal was agreed

18 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

He never agreed a deal, and rightly had reservations about coming back, proven by this reaction, to a person choosing where to apply his trade

54 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

He never agreed a deal, and rightly had reservations about coming back, proven by this reaction, to a person choosing where to apply his trade

I get that, I believe he has been critical in the past about some comments from City fans whilst he was with us.

Which makes a potential move to Millwall all the more weird

15 minutes ago, mozo said:

What, in your opinion, were his reservations?

He comes across as quite level headed and wants to be challenging for the play offs, he can do that at Millwall currently, we still aren't strong enough for that without luck,

Also if rumours are true, we only offered him a year, he probably wants a bit more security 

NP has always said he only wants players who want to be at the club.

HNM being the example, it was stated this week by NP that he thanked Joe for his honesty regarding a return. 
A return of a prodigal son is not always a good thing. Joe left us and has moved on so as fans we need to move and wish shoe well where ever he ends up playing. 
Joe was a good servant to club and gave us many memories. 
Good luck Joe 

Edited by hertsexile
Missed word
  • Like 1

Hold on a minute - I thought he was heading for a new challenge ‘overseas’?

He seems a very complex character these days - probably best we steer well clear this time around. He can’t ever seem to make his mind up what he wants.

He will probably have a good first 8 or 10 games at Millwall before getting injured & being seen as a waste of money on £20k a week.

Thanks for the memories Joe - time for all parties to move on.

Edited by Cardy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Hold on a minute - I thought he was heading for a new challenge ‘overseas’?

He seems a very complex character these days - probably best we steer well clear this time around. He can’t ever seem to make his mind up what he wants.

He will probably have a good first 8 or 10 games at Millwall before getting injured & being seen as a waste of money on £20k a week.

Thanks for the memories Joe - time for all parties to move on.

Let’s hope he doesn’t have a good game in Millwall’s 2nd game of the season!

10 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Congratulations on being able to speak on behalf of our whole fanbase, that's a very lofty position you are in.

It seems I am not in "our fanbase" though as I think he would have burned more bridges if he had come and not hit the levels we saw from him before.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Congratulations on being able to speak on behalf of our whole fanbase, that's a very lofty position you are in.

It seems I am not in "our fanbase" though as I think he would have burned more bridges if he had come and not hit the levels we saw from him before.

In the latter part of JB’s final season before his move, there was a suggestion he was not putting in 100% and that he had, effectively, ‘downed tools’.

In the back of my mind, I had this fear that, were he to have returned this season and, for whatever reason, physical injury or otherwise, he would have been accused of just seeking a cushy last pay off.

Probably best for all parties that he is not coming back, and I wish him the best of luck wherever he goes.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Worth a listen indeed, but I only trust anonymous OTIB posters who are ITK. 

Out of interest, why the snide comments about OTIBers who have some info and share it on here.  

Its fair to say from Nige’s press interview that it was pretty close to getting done, so it’s not as if Shags or Kid or ROD initially) made it up is it?

So what if they said it was “done” and actually it wasn’t!

Thoughts???

• Like 7

It's a curious one with all sorts of unfounded beliefs:

He'd choose his hometown club over money.

He wants to play overseas.

He has only been offered a one year deal.

It looks like this might be one of those mysteries that never gets answered.

12 hours ago, Monkeh said:

He comes across as quite level headed and wants to be challenging for the play offs, he can do that at Millwall currently, we still aren't strong enough for that without luck,

Also if rumours are true, we only offered him a year, he probably wants a bit more security 

'We are not strong enough without luck.' ?? If we do not make the play offs next season I will fly over and run naked around Ashton gate. With my cider belly it will not be a good site and hope any watching has a defibrator on hand,

A year's promise would be the best he could probably negotiate. I have a good feeling about next season even if you don't.

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, why the snide comments about OTIBers who have some info and share it on here.  

Its fair to say from Nige’s press interview that it was pretty close to getting done, so it’s not as if Shags or Kid or ROD initially) made it up is it?

Thoughts???

Nothing snide about it Dave. In Shags we trust. 

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thoughts???

Full time WUM. Don't bite.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2