IGNORED

FA Cup Final match thread

Porto Red

6 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

It will probably be a poor match. Why?

Because it's probably the first time this season that either side has played a match kicking off at 3 o'clock in the afternoon!!!

I remember it was also played on the first Saturday in May which marked the official end of the English football season.

And listening to it on the radio was so magical for a four or five year old yet to see a live game other than in the local playing field.

Today, I'll take my dog for a walk on the beach.

Both had 3pm kick offs in the last few weeks to be fair

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I really don't dislike Manchester City at all, the two ties we have had against them their players and fans have been nothing but respectful, and their Manager is an absolute gentleman.

Must have forgotten about Sane then? Sure he was goading the City fans when he scored / City scored

Just now, MarcusX said:

Both had 3pm kick offs in the last few weeks to be fair

Must have forgotten about Sane then? Sure he was goading the City fans when he scored / City scored

And I remember Aguero chasing after him, telling him off and apologising to the City fans.

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Schmeichel makes the excellent point that changing handball to be "common sense" is just setting up a hundred conversations about what "common sense" is. 

You need objectivity in the Laws.

I disagree - the rule should once again include intent, and the ref should subjectively judge on intent.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I can see why, by the letter of the law, the Grealish incident is a penalty. It's arguable that you have to raise your hands when you jump, but do you have to raise them that high and in that position? I'm not sure. It's soft yes, but I can see how it can be brought within the law.

I'm also not sure the incident on De Bruyne was either careless, reckless or dangerous, so I see why no penalty was awarded there.

I think both incidents are arguable either way though and suspect you'd get disagreement in any room. Two difficult decisions when you consider the precise wording of the relevant laws.

VAR just enforces those laws. It's IFAB not PGMOL you should rail against if you don't like that Grealish penalty.

Why does it need to be careless, reckless or dangerous to be a penalty?

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I can see why, by the letter of the law, the Grealish incident is a penalty. It's arguable that you have to raise your hands when you jump, but do you have to raise them that high and in that position? I'm not sure. It's soft yes, but I can see how it can be brought within the law.

I'm also not sure the incident on De Bruyne was either careless, reckless or dangerous, so I see why no penalty was awarded there.

I think both incidents are arguable either way though and suspect you'd get disagreement in any room. Two difficult decisions when you consider the precise wording of the relevant laws.

VAR just enforces those laws. It's IFAB not PGMOL you should rail against if you don't like that Grealish penalty.

Everyone on here and every pundit has said the same thing. By the letter of the law yes/maybe but the law needs changing yet you think his hand shouldn’t be there? Are you being serious? Honestly? Have you ever jumped for a header whilst twisting? Absolute nonsense I’m afraid and almost smacks of having a differing opinion for the sake of it.

Just now, Leveller said:

VAR isn’t the problem - the handball rule is. BBC panel unanimously saying the decision was correct but the rule is stupid . Hear hear.

Yes, they've covered it well, although didn't quite nail the nuance around "unnatural". The offence is making your body "unnaturally bigger".

A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation.

So the discussion shouldn't be around what is an "unnatural position" for Grealish's hand, rather around whether it was fair to have his hand in that position when making his body "unnaturally bigger"?

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

And I remember Aguero chasing after him, telling him off and apologising to the City fans.

That is true, I’ve always loved Aguero.

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

I disagree - the rule should once again include intent, and the ref should subjectively judge on intent.

How do you judge intent?

• Like 1

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Yes, they've covered it well, although didn't quite nail the nuance around "unnatural". The offence is making your body "unnaturally bigger".

A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation.

So the discussion shouldn't be around what is an "unnatural position" for Grealish's hand, rather around whether it was fair to have his hand in that position when making his body "unnaturally bigger"?

He jumped for a ball and that’s where his hand ended up.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

In my view the law was written to decide there was intent, without saying there was intent. So why not just leave the ref to decide whether the player was intending to cheat/handball?

Just now, Numero Uno said:

He jumped for a ball and that’s where his hand ended up.

In which case his hand is there as a consequence of the jump and so he's justified in having his hand there, and it shouldn't be a penalty, so everyone saying it is is wrong.

So in answer to your other quote of mine, that's the other argument. 

But as VAR and the pundits and geniuses on here say it is a penalty you have to assume that his hand is considered not to be justified in being there.

So it's not me that doesn't know how to jump. 

Just now, Leveller said:

In my view the law was written to decide there was intent, without saying there was intent. So why not just leave the ref to decide whether the player was intending to cheat/handball?

Apparently the law is being changed next season. Go figure. It seems like the apparent  “nuance” being used (bullshit is another term) will be cancelled.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

In which case his hand is there as a consequence of the jump and so he's justified in having his hand there, and it shouldn't be a penalty, so everyone saying it is is wrong.

So in answer to your other quote of mine, that's the other argument. 

But as VAR and the pundits and geniuses on here say it is a penalty you have to assume that his hand is considered not to be justified in being there.

So it's not me that doesn't know how to jump. 

You know how to jump and every pro in the BBC studio doesn’t by the sound of it……the law is being changed. I wonder why? They know the law is crap even if it was interpreted correctly today.