IGNORED

FA Cup Final match thread

Porto Red

21 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

City for me, purely because I have always felt that, when we get knocked out of a cup, there is some solace to be taken from knowing that team went on to win the thing.

Also, I hate United. :)

Yep, me too. One of three clubs I truly despise.

Man C should win this match; but it really wouldn't be a surprise to see Man U really raise their game, as they look to derail any chance of a Man C treble.

• Like 2

It will probably be a poor match. Why?

Because it's probably the first time this season that either side has played a match kicking off at 3 o'clock in the afternoon!!!

I remember it was also played on the first Saturday in May which marked the official end of the English football season.

And listening to it on the radio was so magical for a four or five year old yet to see a live game other than in the local playing field.

Today, I'll take my dog for a walk on the beach.

Possibly my strangest ever Cup final ! First time I can ever recall both finalists being so universally disliked amongst the wider football “family” as these two clubs . One side awaiting the outcome of more charges than any other side in history and the other widely blamed for the demise of the trophy for which they’re competing today ! On balance I think I’d settle for Stop Oil protestors getting it called off ?

Edited by Baldyman

8 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Possibly my strangest ever Cup final ! First time I can ever recall both finalists being so universally disliked amongst the wider football “family” as these two clubs . One side awaiting the outcome of more charges than any other side in history and the other widely blamed for the demise of the trophy for which they’re competing today ! On balance I think I’d settle for Stop Oil protestors getting it called off ?

I really don't dislike Manchester City at all, the two ties we have had against them their players and fans have been nothing but respectful, and their Manager is an absolute gentleman.

• Like 12
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, Port Said Red said:

I really don't dislike Manchester City at all, the two ties we have had against them their players and fans have been nothing but respectful, and their Manager is an absolute gentleman.

And that’s fine to have that view but those charges have not come out of nowhere . No club in existence has had the number of charges for Financial breaches /corruption/ cheating  whatever description we choose the use , levelled at them and I struggle to get past that ! The two clubs have played the biggest possible part in converting top flight football into a corporate empire first and sport second doing all that they can with their wealth to monopolise the football pyramid. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

And that’s fine to have that view but those charges have not come out of nowhere . No club in existence has had the number of charges for Financial breaches /corruption/ cheating  whatever description we choose the use , levelled at them and I struggle to get past that ! The two clubs have played the biggest possible part in converting top flight football into a corporate empire first and sport second doing all that they can with their wealth to monopolise the football pyramid. 

Nah, they are nowhere the worst, when you look at all the proven charges of bribery, corruption and or financial misdealings across the football world. They are no saints, unfortunately pushing the boundaries is necessary to compete these days, but what have they actually been convicted of really? 

On top of that, it really has nothing to do with the players, Manager or fans what happens financially.

13 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

With the stuff coming out about the Abramovich era Chelsea run them close.

Don’t like either side, don’t remotely care who wins & won’t watch it.

Genuinely cannot recall the last FA cup final I watched.

The point about plastics is spot on, really irritating to see kids in Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea, Man City shirts, rubbish.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Super said:

As a boy this day was a highlight for me. Sure the programme would start about 8am then a helicopter following the team coach and a cup final QOS. 

and also the songs that were written especially for the FA cup. Anfield Rap, Blue is the Colour and Ossies dream etc

Man U fans I've worked with in the past included a girl who grew up in Guernsey, a bloke from Malta who lived in Daventry and a chap from Falmouth.

They all made a reasonable point when they said they had no local league teams to them so they went for what was the most exciting top-flight side at the time they became interested in football.

It's Bristolian Man U fans" who get my goat. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

20 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Dreaded Sandy Turnbull, was the worst day of my life ?

Yes I remember her.

However, you've had a long and disappointing life supporting City ever since. 

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I was swimming that day.

In what ?

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yep we think we got it tough, with Man it'd shirts here, all the clubs in London and you see as many man utd tops as the big four I'd say! Even back in the 70s they had a big following in the capital 

When we went away in the 70s if Man Utd were at home always a South Wales going up north.