IGNORED

Saudi Arabia Pro League

Just on the FFP front, Arsenal signing Havertz if true for £65m when 2 years left on deal and yielding a close to £40m book profit if before a June 30th deadline is in some ways a bigger help than the Saudi stuff.

Reportedly there was only set to be a £10m aggregate book profit across Mendy, Koulibaly, Ziyech and Aubameyang. Yes I know wages and future amortisation too.

Context he signed for Chelsea in 2020 for £70m or maybe a bit above...Arsenal not using leverage very well there if true given the impending 30th June deadline.

£30m for Kovacic another example.. final year of deal if by June 30th that us give or take a £21-22m profit..scratch that Kovacic an initial £25m, with add-ons perhaps rising to £30m if hit. Knock £5m off the profit.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

EFL attendances were the highest for 70 years last season so it depends what you mean by dying a death.

You've just answered your own observation I think.

Edited by BigTone

By no means only Chelsea though, this is where FFP becomes greyer- £40m for Morata from Atletico a reported Saudi bid or suggested- it's suspect without doubt but there may also be an element of right place right time, Saudi Arabia still in the early growth phase of it IMO. Eat huge losses early with no FFP beyond Europe- open to abuse but shades of a legit business of plan too.

17 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just on the FFP front, Arsenal signing Havertz if true for £65m when 2 years left on deal and yielding a close to £40m book profit if before a June 30th deadline is in some ways a bigger help than the Saudi stuff.

Reportedly there was only set to be a £10m aggregate book profit across Mendy, Koulibaly, Ziyech and Aubameyang. Yes I know wages and future amortisation too.

Context he signed for Chelsea in 2020 for £70m or maybe a bit above...Arsenal not using leverage very well there if true given the impending 30th June deadline.

£30m for Kovacic another example.. final year of deal if by June 30th that us give or take a £21-22m profit..scratch that Kovacic an initial £25m, with add-ons perhaps rising to £30m if hit. Knock £5m off the profit.

Even that Havertz deal seems a bit iffy. 65 million for Havertz? Really? He's barely pulled up any trews in the premier league so I'm baffled why Arsenal would be spending so much on him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Even that Havertz deal seems a bit iffy. 65 million for Havertz? Really? He's barely pulled up any trews in the premier league so I'm baffled why Arsenal would be spending so much on him.

Think maybe £60m with a potential further £5m in add-ons.

Different shape, different environment- return to the CL, perhaps he has a solid record in the latter but It does seem like direct rivals folding to some extent. As a buying club in that scenario some power is held, if the 30th June deadline is accurate.

11 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I know relatively little about him but he cost Chelsea £71m & so they are selling on at a loss.

Arsenal have absolutely no incentive here to help Chelsea out from an FFP perspective so I don’t think it’s “dubious” at all, just like so many, one where it seems a rather high price.

Dubious to me is where Saudi Arabia is helping a major investor in the country like Boehly to get around his FFP issue or where Arsenal are selling someone rumoured to have a potentially very serious court case on the horizon.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

FIFA really need to get a grip. Reports now Newcastle are trying to get Ruben Neves on a 2 year loan from the Saudi team he has just signed for....

Newcastle can probably use this loophole for years to come if it isn't closed off by FIFA, a Saudi club can sign any player in the world and instantly loan them to Newcastle who at worst have to just pick up the wages if that, overcomes all FFP issues for them as the expenditure associated with signing the player is outside of FFP confines and not on their accounts Could potentially sign Mbappe, Vinicius etc for free, its frightening the way football is going. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Newcastle can probably use this loophole for years to come if it isn't closed off by FIFA, a Saudi club can sign any player in the world and instantly loan them to Newcastle who at worst have to just pick up the wages if that, overcomes all FFP issues for them as the expenditure associated with signing the player is outside of FFP confines and not on their accounts Could potentially sign Mbappe, Vinicius etc for free, its frightening the way football is going. 

Mbappe, Vinicius will both be at Madrid probably for years but I do see where you are going with it.

PL do have Fair Value rules for transfers but how to go about enforcing...

The big saving grace for Chelsea if rumoured fees are correct isn't Saudi Arabia but their own domestic rivals.

Kovacic- £25m up front, £5m more in add-ons.

Mount- £55m? Man United recent rejected bid was £45m up front and £5m in add-ons (Chelsea reportedly want £60m with another £5m in add-ons).

Havertz- £60m up front perhaps, £5m more in add-ons.

Whereas £42m for the 3 of Mendy, Koulibaly and Ziyech reportedly . Gross fees- actually may post a loss on their book value.

(I know, I know- future wage savings and amortisation savings).

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The big saving grace for Chelsea if rumoured fees are correct isn't Saudi Arabia but their own domestic rivals.

Kovacic- £25m up front, £5m more in add-ons.

Mount- £55m? Man United recent rejected bid was £45m up front and £5m in add-ons (Chelsea reportedly want £60m with another £5m in add-ons).

Havertz- £60m up front perhaps, £5m more in add-ons.

Whereas £42m for the 3 of Mendy, Koulibaly and Ziyech reportedly . Gross fees- actually may post a loss on their book value.

(I know, I know- future wage savings and amortisation savings).

The latest Athletic football podcast with the excellent Matt Slater is very informative. Among other things he confirms that Chelsea will indeed make a loss on fees.

• Thanks 1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12290381/FIFA-imposes-BAN-Al-Nassr-registering-new-players-failing-pay-Leicester-390-000.html

It's such a small amount to get banned for I can only assume it's a glitch, oversight or dispute. Article also says they'll pay up swiftly.

Interesting?

https://spl.com.sa/en/news/4500

Time will tell but if looks like maybe they'll be tightening up in a range of areas following the initial splurge.

Could an end-game in mind to be after splurging to grow quick, growing youth she commerce medium term with the end goal being in a fit state to apply for their clubs to join the CL and European competition in years to come.

Hard to keep track but Miteovic has reportedly said he intends not to play for Fulham again- if he went there he'd be linking up with his International team mate Milinkovic-Savic...

...Marco Silva has been offered £40m on a 2 year deal so that's £20m per season to go and manage out there.

Obviously Henderson and other Liverpool midfielders seem to be linked.

• Admin

Diaby was about to sign for Villa but the money has been dangled in front of him now

Mind you, I guess it is no difference to how the PL have been in the past buying majority of the worlds best

It wasn't that long ago China was the place apparently to go

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

This might be an unpopular opinion but am I the only one finding all this hilarious. The prem has been doing this to other leagues for years and now im loving seeing all the plastics up in arms as their players are jumping ship .

Agree 100% its exactly what the Premier league did, but as we live here we are a bit blinkered to it.  I would love if what happened to Italy happened to us, the knock on effects to not only European football but also teams aspiring to play on a level playing field in this country is much needed have been massively hampered by the PL IMO

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

This might be an unpopular opinion but am I the only one finding all this hilarious. The prem has been doing this to other leagues for years and now im loving seeing all the plastics up in arms as their players are jumping ship .

I think you'll find it will be quite a popular opinion. Let them lose their best players to Saudi, then form their Super League and leave the rest of us to get on with it.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1