IGNORED

Saudi Arabia Pro League

On 05/09/2023 at 20:58, GrahamC said:

Belarus is currently in UEFA, that’s pretty much the antithesis of a democracy. Russia was also in it until invading Ukraine.

Azerbaijan & Kazhakhstan are in UEFA & aren’t remotely democratic & not sure Israel is a democracy as I would describe a true one, based on not allowing a great percentage of citizens living on land it is stealing on an ongoing basis the right to vote.

Turkey’s elections are consistently described as not “free & fair”, either.

Israel is classed as a ‘flawed democracy’ by The Economist Democracy Index (between Portugal and the United States) but not for the reason you describe. All citizens, including Israel’s large Arab population, have the right to vote. Arab parties were in the shortlived coalition government before Netanyahu took control again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aleksandar Mitrović: “I have no nostalgia for England, I played many years there”.
“I’m happy to have finally arrived at a top club. Al-Hilal is a bit like Real Madrid in Europe”. ???
“I’m very happy here and I want to win titles”, told Gazzetta dello Sport.
  • Haha 5
  • Facepalm 2

38 minutes ago, 22A said:
Aleksandar Mitrović: “I have no nostalgia for England, I played many years there”.
“I’m happy to have finally arrived at a top club. Al-Hilal is a bit like Real Madrid in Europe”. ???
“I’m very happy here and I want to win titles”, told Gazzetta dello Sport.

If ever you wanted the definition of "money talks", that's it!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 22A said:
Steven Gerrard’s Al-Ettifaq lost to Al-Riyadh this weekend in front of 696 fans. 
702 fans went to watch Clitheroe vs. Newcastle Town in the 8th tier of English football on Saturday

PIF eying up Clitheroe as we speak!

I would say a key bargaining chip for the European game is that Saudi or other non European clubs cannot play in UEFA comps especially the CL.

If you want to make a competition and a meaningful one at that across Euro-Med area, or Europe and South America or even global sure why not explore options in years to come, ie not a Super League but tournament but this idea would not be a good one at all.

• Admin
1 hour ago, chinapig said:

According to Transfermarkt Al-Nassr's stadium has a capacity of 26,000 and their average attendance in 23/24 is 20,033. In which case I assume we are among the most popular clubs in the world as well.

In which case I hereby withdraw all criticism of the club hierarchy.😇

image.pngimage.png

• Admin
1 hour ago, chinapig said:

According to Transfermarkt Al-Nassr's stadium has a capacity of 26,000 and their average attendance in 23/24 is 20,033. In which case I assume we are among the most popular clubs in the world as well.

In which case I hereby withdraw all criticism of the club hierarchy.😇

If they played in UEFA competitions they’d have to adhere to FFP regulations. That includes sponsorship deals rated at market rate. So good luck squaring off Ronaldo’s £173m a year wages on crowds of 20k.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ian M said:

If they played in UEFA competitions they’d have to adhere to FFP regulations. That includes sponsorship deals rated at market rate. So good luck squaring off Ronaldo’s £173m a year wages on crowds of 20k.

4 hours ago, phantom said:

image.pngimage.png

Sorry, but what you failed to mention,  is that if you are a season ticket holder and you do not turn up for a home match, you and your entire extended family are summarily executed.

• Haha 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Sorry, but what you failed to mention,  is that if you are a season ticket holder and you do not turn up for a home match, you and your entire extended family are summarily executed.

Cutting their heads off to spite their face?

Nothing interesting here at all. 👀

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12877047/Man-United-transfer-John-Murtough-Saudi-Arabia-Casemiro-Raphael-Varane-Jadon-Sancho-Anthony-Martial-230M-sale-raise-funds.html

Touting players directly in Saudi Arabia  couldn't have anything to do with a CL elimination assisted FFP hole?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Haha 1

Just done some quick working based on initial fees paid and Martial contract extension etc.

£87.47m is basically the combined Break Even point of Varane, Casemiro, Sancho, Martial as of Janaury. Give or take.

Van De Beek presently, £10.41m Book Value again give or take.

Where are their first quarter Accounts anyway, bit late..given the quarter ran until September 30th 2023.

Never usually this late.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

• Admin
38 minutes ago, LilRascal said:

Glad to see Henderson has realised how shite this league is and moved to Ajax. Hopefully more will follow him back to properly competitive clubs with decent crowds. 

While Steve Gerrard just signed a two year extension to 2027 

It sounds like lots of players aren't setting out there 

54 minutes ago, LilRascal said:

Glad to see Henderson has realised how shite this league is and moved to Ajax. Hopefully more will follow him back to properly competitive clubs with decent crowds. 

Hes done well there. Played for six months, taken a huge stand against LGBTQ discrimination and changed Saudi attitudes completely. Some said it couldn’t be done but Jordan has proved them wrong. 

• Haha 6

On 15/11/2023 at 12:24, Ian M said:

If they played in UEFA competitions 

they would stand a chance of playing one of the Israeli teams. Israel ply in UEFA comps because they cannot play their neighbours for political reasons.

1 hour ago, LilRascal said:

Convenient that he's moved back to the lowest tax jurisdiction in Western Europe isn't it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

While Steve Gerrard just signed a two year extension to 2027 

It sounds like lots of players aren't setting out there 

Absolutely none of them live in Saudi either, they live in Bahrain, to escape the horrific laws and regulations against gay people/females. 

Some ‘allies’ aren’t they, where they are so passionately wanting to stand against everything Saudi represents, that they ‘fight from within’ so strongly they don’t even ******* live there. 

Pathetic. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Absolutely none of them live in Saudi either, they live in Bahrain, to escape the horrific laws and regulations against gay people/females. 

Some ‘allies’ aren’t they, where they are so passionately wanting to stand against everything Saudi represents, that they ‘fight from within’ so strongly they don’t even ******* live there. 

Pathetic. 

I've recently spent a couple days in Bahrain, couldn't imagine living there as it's so boring. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Pathetic. 

1 hour ago, Fpcity said:

I've recently spent a couple days in Bahrain, couldn't imagine living there as it's so boring. 

KSA is and always has been a dictatorship: a brutal, hypocritical, sexist and misogynistic regime, unforgiving to those who don't or won't toe the line, even to fellow Muslims who follow the 'wrong' type of Islam.

But, having lived and worked there for several years, unlike many who criticise the Kingdom without ever having set foot in it, I can assure you that it is not boring.

I had some really wonderful times there and, as I am sure fellow forum members who have knowledge of the Kingdom, not least our own @BigTone, will attest, it is very much what you make of it, much like any country. I have met people who worked in the Caribbean, who had to leave after just a few months because it was so boring.

Venture outside of your protected and sterile compound; embrace the native culture, learn at least the basics of the language (Hello and Thank You is always a good start) and try to respect and engage with the locals; visit the beaches, the surrounding villages and souks.

Eat in a local restaurant and try their food. No, you won't be able to accompany your meal with a glass of wine (or even Coca Cola), but their lamb, goat and, on either coast, fresh shrimps and fish is absolutely wonderful. Even camel is fine, although hte hump can be quite tough. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Hes done well there. Played for six months, taken a huge stand against LGBTQ discrimination and changed Saudi attitudes completely. Some said it couldn’t be done but Jordan has proved them wrong. 

And did it all without taking a penny, truly for the love of the game

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

KSA is and always has been a dictatorship: a brutal, hypocritical, sexist and misogynistic regime, unforgiving to those who don't or won't toe the line, even to fellow Muslims who follow the 'wrong' type of Islam.

But, having lived and worked there for several years, unlike many who criticise the Kingdom without ever having set foot in it, I can assure you that it is not boring.

I had some really wonderful times there and, as I am sure fellow forum members who have knowledge of the Kingdom, not least our own @BigTone, will attest, it is very much what you make of it, much like any country. I have met people who worked in the Caribbean, who had to leave after just a few months because it was so boring.

Venture outside of your protected and sterile compound; embrace the native culture, learn at least the basics of the language (Hello and Thank You is always a good start) and try to respect and engage with the locals; visit the beaches, the surrounding villages and souks.

Eat in a local restaurant and try their food. No, you won't be able to accompany your meal with a glass of wine (or even Coca Cola), but their lamb, goat and, on either coast, fresh shrimps and fish is absolutely wonderful. Even camel is fine, although hte hump can be quite tough. 

Agree with all you have said.  Best thing I did was to move out of the compound and get my own apartment. By doing so it opened up many new friendships with local Saudis all of who were very hospitable.  Did 2 tours of Saudi, one in Riyadh & one in Jeddah and have been asked many times if I would go back. Simple answer is yes.

• Like 1

On 15/11/2023 at 12:24, Ian M said:

Either that or UEFA would change the FFP rules to suit them…