IGNORED

Saudi Arabia Pro League

• Admin
3 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

I know the money's fantastic but there is such a thing as job satisfaction, how much more do you need?

If I was offered 5/6 times my annual salary over 2 years it wouldn't cross my mind 

Mind you, Diaby is rumoured to have turned down the millions to join Villa instead 

Did anyone else hear Melissa Reddy’s analysis of the Jordan Henderson situation?

She certainly doesn’t hang back, for a reporter very scathing and to the point with her opinion.

She did similar in the World Cup after Infantino’s dreadful speach, she goes from meek, mild and a little bit dull to a full on voice of opposition in a matter of moments.

9 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Did anyone else hear Melissa Reddy’s analysis of the Jordan Henderson situation?

She certainly doesn’t hang back, for a reporter very scathing and to the point with her opinion.

She did similar in the World Cup after Infantino’s dreadful speach, she goes from meek, mild and a little bit dull to a full on voice of opposition in a matter of moments.

Yes I caught. Found it rather unprofessional and should have kept her comments to herself. Even caught the presenter off guard with her personal comments I believe.

Have to say, not sure how she landed in her role. She’s absolutely dull as dishwater.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Yes I caught. Found it rather unprofessional and should have kept her comments to herself. Even caught the presenter off guard with her personal comments I believe.

Have to say, not sure how she landed in her role. She’s absolutely dull as dishwater.

I’m torn. I do find her difficult to listen to when she’s going on about boring uninteresting stuff about Man United, then all of a sudden she’s off on one with her own opinions which is at least interesting but, as you say, a little unprofessional.

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I’m torn. I do find her difficult to listen to when she’s going on about boring uninteresting stuff about Man United, then all of a sudden she’s off on one with her own opinions which is at least interesting but, as you say, a little unprofessional.

Baffles me that I’ve just seen she is also a Senior Reporter. Must have friends in the right places. 

Put her in the same bracket as Clinton Morrison.

12 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

But presumably you aren't on a hundred grand a week now!

Everyone adjusts to their salary though, whether that's £40k P/W or £40k per year. So a pay rise, namely at over 5x what you're earning, it's always going to be tempting. Mind you, I was offered a job in Saudi once, around double my wage and 90 days holiday per year, but I was a single 20 year old lad and couldn't think of much worse than being out there at that point in my life.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Not really relevant, you are looking after a longer line of family that way

Depends how many of your family see you as a meal ticket. If it was me and I was already on 100 grand a week and then realised I actually had to live there? Also with the way they treat women (my wife would not go full stop) and other unsavoury aspects of the country - no,it wouldn't be for me. And then there's the actual football, playing for clubs with no history,in front of small crowds in games that mean very little? As you can tell,I'm not keen.

• Like 6

• Admin
2 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Depends how many of your family see you as a meal ticket. If it was me and I was already on 100 grand a week and then realised I actually had to live there? Also with the way they treat women (my wife would not go full stop) and other unsavoury aspects of the country - no,it wouldn't be for me. And then there's the actual football, playing for clubs with no history,in front of small crowds in games that mean very little? As you can tell,I'm not keen.

Fair play, you've made your point politely and included very valuable reasons ?

• Like 1

Absolutely disgraceful. Perfect for him. 1 year in Saudi, then gets to more to Madrid. PSG get more money than they thought they'd get. Good for all of those involved. 

Horrendous for the rest of the football world though, as it's setting an expectation which is just insane. FFP becomes pointless it seems if teams funded by the government outside of Uefa jurisdictions can just throw absurd amounts of money around. 

I hate how much players get in this country, but it's now made it look like peanuts in comparison! 

IMG-20230724-WA0001.jpg

I foresee probs for the PL, Europe’s main leagues, the Champions League etc, and therefore the trickle down into the EFL over time.

TV Rights for leagues without the best players are gonna be interesting.  Might take a while but this has the potential to ruin football…and in some ways football deserves it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I foresee probs for the PL, Europe’s main leagues, the Champions League etc, and therefore the trickle down into the EFL over time.

TV Rights for leagues without the best players are gonna be interesting.  Might take a while but this has the potential to ruin football…and in some ways football deserves it.

The PL is in no position to complain about another league stripping them of it's best players after all given that it brags about doing the same to other leagues. But as you say the long term damage would hit the EFL and beyond.

Saudi Arabia now effectively owns professional golf so who knows how far this might yet go?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

The PL is in no position to complain about another league stripping them of it's best players after all given that it brags about doing the same to other leagues. But as you say the long term damage would hit the EFL and beyond.

Saudi Arabia now effectively owns professional golf so who knows how far this might yet go?

Oh, absolutely, couldn’t agree more.  What goes around, comes around.

Apparently the likes of De Bruyne and Haaland are on around £20m a year so if Mbappe gets around £600m in Saudi then he earns very roughly speaking both of their careers earnings in 1 year.

The premier league must be quaking in their boots right now, bringing it back to Bristol City and Steve L I wonder if we will soon be talking about how we missed out on the Premier league's golden age?

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Football got greedy...

Long gone are the days where it was a working person's game. It's now a luxury that most now can't afford. 

Look at the price of Arsenal season tickets for example! People from the inner estates of London are highly unlikely to be able to afford to go. 

Look at the price of a football shirt now! 

Unfortunately football needed strong governance but instead it was allowed to do as it wanted and that was squeeze every single penny out of fans.

Going to our games costs me around 200 a month all in. Tickets, food, drinks, travel etc. My Sky subscription is over 130 quid a month. 

I can just about afford it but maybe a time will come where I decide it's just not worth it.

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 2

On 21/07/2023 at 11:27, BCFCAL said:

Everyone adjusts to their salary though, whether that's £40k P/W or £40k per year. So a pay rise, namely at over 5x what you're earning, it's always going to be tempting. Mind you, I was offered a job in Saudi once, around double my wage and 90 days holiday per year, but I was a single 20 year old lad and couldn't think of much worse than being out there at that point in my life.

Each to their own, I suppose.

I was in a similar situation to yours, single but barely 21, and accepted an almost identical contract, although the salary ratio was almost four times what I was earning in the UK.

I had a fairly difficult first few months, but then was able to join an expat football team, training twice a week, playing weekly against mainly expat teams from all over the world, partying on weekend nights and relaxing by the pool in the nurses quarters (and bedrooms).

I suppose, like many things in life, it is up to you to make the most of what you have got.

17 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Each to their own, I suppose.

I was in a similar situation to yours, single but barely 21, and accepted an almost identical contract, although the salary ratio was almost four times what I was earning in the UK.

I had a fairly difficult first few months, but then was able to join an expat football team, training twice a week, playing weekly against mainly expat teams from all over the world, partying on weekend nights and relaxing by the pool in the nurses quarters (and bedrooms).

I suppose, like many things in life, it is up to you to make the most of what you have got.

I have done 2 tours of Saudi in both Riyadh & Jeddah.  I thoroughly enjoyed them both TBH.  As you say it is what you make of it.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

On 24/07/2023 at 18:39, Baba Yaga said:

bringing it back to Bristol City and Steve L I wonder if we will soon be talking about how we missed out on the Premier league's golden age?

Finances aside, I think we've already missed out on the best time to get promoted to an extent.

If we were lucky enough to get promoted in the next few seasons, I'm sure it'd be great fun and enjoyable for us but the accomplishment has already been done so many times by similar or lesser clubs recently that it would be much less impressive imo