IGNORED

Saudi Arabia Pro League

Never really warmed to him for some reason. 

During Covid when there was a call from the public for footballers to take a paycut he interfered and instead got players to donate to a NHS fund rather than taking pay cuts, how could the public complain about that? That fact he's now gone to Saudi for the money backs up my previous thoughts that that fund was only set up to save players money, rather than genuinely wanting to help the NHS. 

I didn't like how he failed to make a stand during the world cup either. 

You have to wonder now, was his previous support for LBGT genuine, or for brand JH? 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

He’s right though. How can JH say he supports gay rights then disappear to Saudi. It’s total hypocrisy 

Who cares what he thinks. Henderson can do what he wants.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Never really warmed to him for some reason. 

During Covid when there was a call from the public for footballers to take a paycut he interfered and instead got players to donate to a NHS fund rather than taking pay cuts, how could the public complain about that? That fact he's now gone to Saudi for the money backs up my previous thoughts that that fund was only set up to save players money, rather than genuinely wanting to help the NHS. 

I didn't like how he failed to make a stand during the world cup either. 

You have to wonder now, was his previous support for LBGT genuine, or for brand JH? 

The real reason:

The PFA advised their members not to take pay cuts for contractual reasons….hence Henderson still trying to do the right thing , just in a different way!

Re the LGBT stuff, I have no opinion as I don’t know Henderson’s motivations.

Edited by Davefevs

Jordan obviously wants one last big paycheck before retiring. Football is a short enough career as is, so I won't begrudge him that. Other players are doing it and not getting criticized (as far as I am aware), so why should Jordan be any difference? Maybe he will try and utilize his position and promote gay rights?

8 minutes ago, BritAbroad said:

Jordan obviously wants one last big paycheck before retiring. Football is a short enough career as is, so I won't begrudge him that. Other players are doing it and not getting criticized (as far as I am aware), so why should Jordan be any difference? Maybe he will try and utilize his position and promote gay rights?

And bite the hand that feeds him?

4 hours ago, BritAbroad said:

1. He was on £200k a week at Liverpool. Looks like a big pay cheque to me.

2. He was a vocal supporter of campaigns for LGBTQ+ rights. In Saudi Arabia homosexuality is punishable by death. Hence the criticism.

3. Campaigning for LGBTQ+ rights is also likely to lead to brutal punishment. I doubt he is going promote gay rights somehow.

Now, I've only been to KSA for the one week, on business. It's a weird thing, but even though I really don't drink much, when I flew back, the first thing I did once we cleared Saudi airspace was get a beer. 

FWIW, KSA seemed more relaxed than I'd been led to believe, and bear in mind that I went to the holy city of Medina (and this was 2018, before they opened up, and I'm not Muslim). But, in fairness, I was on a visit cleared with the Ministry of Health.

43 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Now, I've only been to KSA for the one week, on business. It's a weird thing, but even though I really don't drink much, when I flew back, the first thing I did once we cleared Saudi airspace was get a beer. 

FWIW, KSA seemed more relaxed than I'd been led to believe, and bear in mind that I went to the holy city of Medina (and this was 2018, before they opened up, and I'm not Muslim). But, in fairness, I was on a visit cleared with the Ministry of Health.

Probably apocryphal, but there was a story when I was there many years ago that two American contractors put on a thobe and ghutra to get in to Mecca.

Unfortunately, they were caught and, so the story goes, taken out in to the desert and buried.

This Saudi League was discussed on Radio 5. One person summed it all up very well; They might buy the best players, but not many people in this coiutry will buy Al Fattiq (or whoever) shirts. I will continue to support the team my father and grand father supported and they are not a Premiership team.

2 minutes ago, 22A said:

This Saudi League was discussed on Radio 5. One person summed it all up very well; They might buy the best players, but not many people in this coiutry will buy Al Fattiq (or whoever) shirts. I will continue to support the team my father and grand father supported and they are not a Premiership team.

Still maintain i would rather watch any Prem or EFL game.

On 27/07/2023 at 14:30, Northern Red said:

Of course he can. But it is hypocritical.

JH getting rung out on social media on this - his choice, its not like the UK has a perfect track record on human rights. 

Literally nobody talking about the billions in trade the UK gets from arms deals to the gulf states, Saudi included. 

Edited by RedHienz

On 14/08/2023 at 16:49, Sir Geoff said:

Neymar now the latest to join. Don't think his histrionics will be missed in Europe. For me one of the most overrated footballers of the modern era.

So his anticipated move to LA Galaxy . has not transpired and Billy Sharp moves there instead. No more Billy Sharp terrorising Ashton Gate ?

On 14/08/2023 at 16:55, Super said:

Neymar's reported salary at Al-Hilal

Per year: £129.4 million

Per month: £10.8 million

Per week: £2.5 million

Per day: £354.5k

Per hour: £14.7k

Per minute: £246.19

Per second: £4.10

He's also reportedly getting $500k (about £430k) whenever he posts something on social media to promote Saudi as the place to be.