IGNORED

The Injured List

BCFCGav

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

I might be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me, but I was under the impression that Kalas had bought land in Long Ashton and was building new property? 

Maybe I got the wrong player 

Nope, that’s definitely the case.

Could well be that is his long term plan whatever happens to his career in the next few years though, especially as his partner is from here.

Let’s say a Coventry or Cardiff offer him something, he could commute or live there part of the week whilst this gets built.

21 hours ago, Just8 said:

Hate that term. It usually implies they're faking it or making a meal of it and shows a complete lack of empathy for a player who may be going through a difficult period and who we're meant to support.

Fair enough. Don’t mean it in a derogatory way against Naismith himself at all. Shall I try again?…

Seems like Naismith is quite injury prone at the moment which is a frustrating one for him and us. We need him available more than he was last year, especially with Atkinson out for another few months. 

• Robin 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Nope, that’s definitely the case.

Could well be that is his long term plan whatever happens to his career in the next few years though, especially as his partner is from here.

Let’s say a Coventry or Cardiff offer him something, he could commute or live there part of the week whilst this gets built.

He could live with the future in-laws! ???

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, B-Rizzle said:

Fair enough. Don’t mean it in a derogatory way against Naismith himself at all. Shall I try again?…

Seems like Naismith is quite injury prone at the moment which is a frustrating one for him and us. We need him available more than he was last year, especially with Atkinson out for another few months. 

You're not wrong about him being dissappointingly absent. We were notably better with him in the squad with both our purple patches last season coinciding with his presence in the team. Fingers crossed they're being cautious and he'll be back soon after the season starts.

And with that, pre-season is done and dusted (barring an away kit I’m convinced the club are too scared to release!).

Assuming no new injuries or returns, we should have all available to start against PNE barring:

Injured:

McCrorie

Atkinson

Naismith

Benarous

I think the keeper and back 4 picks itself, and the midfield may well be Scott, James, Knight. Front three harder to call with all the forwards staking a good claim this pre-season.

I’m so happy football is back next weekend ? COYR! ?⚪?⚪

3 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

And with that, pre-season is done and dusted (barring an away kit I’m convinced the club are too scared to release!).

Assuming no new injuries or returns, we should have all available to start against PNE barring:

Injured:

McCrorie

Atkinson

Naismith

Benarous

I think the keeper and back 4 picks itself, and the midfield may well be Scott, James, Knight. Front three harder to call with all the forwards staking a good claim this pre-season.

I’m so happy football is back next weekend ? COYR! ?⚪?⚪

So with Atkinson (February) & Benarous (last December) being injured a long time ago, the only 2 potentially missing as a result of pre season are McCrorie & Naismith.

As for the side I would be very surprised if the front three isn’t Sykes, Conway & Bell, which is slightly harsh on Nakhi & provided Scott is still here next weekend the rest literally does pick itself.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So with Atkinson (February) & Benarous (last December) being injured a long time ago, the only 2 potentially missing as a result of pre season are McCrorie & Naismith.

As for the side I would be very surprised if the front three isn’t Sykes, Conway & Bell, which is slightly harsh on Nakhi & provided Scott is still here next weekend the rest literally does pick itself.

I wouldn’t be amazed if Cornick or Mehmeti got the nod to start to be honest. More Cornick than Mehmeti actually - I think Bell starts. But it’s a good discussion to be having - competition for places and all that! 

Edited by BCFCGav
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I wouldn’t be amazed if Cornick or Mehmeti got the nod to start to be honest. More Cornick than Mehmeti actually - I think Bell starts. But it’s a good discussion to be having - competition for places and all that! 

Don’t think Mehmeti has done much to earn a start pre season & Bell has been prolific.

Sykes is such an underrated player, with another goal today too, take your point about Cornick but expect him to start.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think it's a toss up between Wells and Conway.  are you thinking Pring over Roberts?

Just now, stephenkibby. said:

Think it's a toss up between Wells and Conway.  are you thinking Pring over Roberts?

Definitely.

Those are the only two questions, but provided TC is 100%, he’s our main striker.

Roberts has been really impressive but Cam has done nothing that means he should be left out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Cornick’s bit of physicality earns him the gig in my eyes.  He was pretty good today too.

But would I be surprised if Sykes started?  Nope.

Wells and Conway have both been excellent, harsh on whoever misses out.

Against a ‘nasty’ PNE, I’d go with the experience of Wells over TC

Bring TC on to cause havoc with his pace in 2nd half…..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Cornick’s bit of physicality earns him the gig in my eyes.  He was pretty good today too.

I enjoyed last season when Wells & TC seemed to have that natural partnership together 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

For the first time in a long time, we have almost a squad where we mostly have two fairly equal members for each position and even a few who can also cover other positions.

In fact, I cannot remember such a situation before in my time and that includes promotion sides in 1955, 1965, 1975, 1990 and 2015.

I smell that a very good season is coming. This is where Nigel will really earn his pay cheque by keeping all squad members happy and doing their best to be first choice.

2 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

I enjoyed last season when Wells & TC seemed to have that natural partnership together 

I wish Nige would find a way to pair them.

Nige-luvver that I am, I wish he didn’t play 3 forwards across the pitch.  They are often too far part imho.

However our press in the first 45 was near-perfect today and with Knight (especially)and Scott breaking from midfield it looked really good.

So, what we might gain by me playing “Football Manager” and devising some kind of diamond or 4312 or whatever has to work with AND without the ball, in controlled possession AND in transition, etc, etc.

So, I’ll let Nige off! ?

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Listening to SOTC.

Apparently we may not, as per NP- see Atkinson until approaching the New Year??

ACL’s are a nightmare pop. Hopefully Nige is talking worst case there but with the nature of the injury, it’s always a long road back ? 

1 minute ago, BCFCGav said:

ACL’s are a nightmare pop. Hopefully Nige is talking worst case there but with the nature of the injury, it’s always a long road back ? 

Yeah an element of expectation management I hope.

Reaffirms my view though that one more natural CB would be very welcome- finances permitting of course.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Reaffirms my view though that one more natural CB would be very welcome- finances permitting of course.

Absolutely, we’re one light. Whatmough would fit the bill!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

I`d much sooner he said that than tell us he`ll be back in October and it doesn`t happen. It`ll be a nice surprise then when we see a teamsheet before Christmas and he`s on it.

We've got a strong squad so with Benarous and Atkinson I'm looking at them as being 2 out-of-window strong new squad additions to look forward to, hopefully in October and December respectively.

Fingers firmly crossed for them both when they make their comebacks; I think we'll all be holding our breath whenever Ayman, in particular, goes down.

• Like 1

On 31/07/2023 at 18:58, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think Nige is holding back on the last signing.  He wants to see if Naismith and McRorie are okay and the other defenders okay come the end of August.  If they are the money left will go on a keeper. If he thinks we need an extra CB, the money will be spent on that. There's also the advantage of saving on wages until then.  Expect a signing 2 to 3 days before the deadline.

When you think about it, it is about risk management.  There's a risk Max might get seriously injured, If he does then we need another keeper without question.  If Vyner or Dickie get injured we need a CB without question. 

• Flames 1

Personally can’t see Naismith getting a start before September even if he is fit and back training this week ,

done nothing since the Austria trip ( minutes wise ) that will put him a fair way behind the other players .

starting to become a bit of an injury problem ,  hopefully can put this one behind him and get fit .

as I have said before he does have a mistake in him but I generally feel we’re a better side with him on the pitch