IGNORED

Oxford United at home - first round of the Carabao Cup

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Are people choosing Knight as he perhaps keeps it on the deck a bit more, and is that bit younger and fresher in the legs? 

Personally not seen loads of him as yet, but I would pick him on reputation more than anything and see how he develops. Being a little younger is certainly a plus as well.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

So we're all broadly on Scott and James, and the debate is Knight or Naismith.

Personally I go Naismith as he's the known quantity and we know what he offered last season in terms of changing how that midfield operated. I think Knight is an excellent signing, but I'd personally have him as first sub (with sincere apologies to Joe Williams) right now. 

Are people choosing Knight as he perhaps keeps it on the deck a bit more, and is that bit younger and fresher in the legs? 

If you go for both James and Naismith that implies a double pivot to me as I don't see either as an 8. It doesn't seem to fit Nigel's desire for an energetic style either.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

If you go for both James and Naismith that implies a double pivot to me as I don't see either as an 8. It doesn't seem to fit Nigel's desire for an energetic style either.

This is fair. I guess I was thinking that in pre-season we saw the central midfielder playing a tad further forward and so perhaps that gave room for two "8(ish)".

Happy to be wrong here. Perhaps the answer is that our first choice midfield is 3 of James, Scott, Naismith and Knight.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Nige sounds a bit miffed that Tommy went early with news of his injury.

If we were trying to get a loan replacement in, the price might be higher than it otherwise would. I suppose the main issue is that the club like to control the spin. 'Out for a few games ...'

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Vyner hasn't captained us often has he? A few times last season yes but he's not done it loads.

No he hasn't, but seeing him do so tonight is testament of how well he has both improved and performed for us. Would also be nice for him to be future captain (academy product etc.) That's what I was voicing, just not worded well!

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

He didn't sound like he cared that much. Did reference shags announcement on here though.

Not sure he referenced that. I took it more that when he said WE WILL communicate it he meant not Tommy. Unless you’ve heard a different interview to the one on city’s twitter feed 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'd also add @richwwtk that Knight, King and Williams is a pretty decent second string midfield. Some flaws yes, but a hell of a bit better than we've been able to put out in years gone by.

Maybe williams/King  a bit too steady (slow) if we want to transition to attack quickly, but solid enough.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, HOZDA said:

No he hasn't, but seeing him do so tonight is testament of how well he has both improved and performed for us. Would also be nice for him to be future captain (academy product etc.) That's what I was voicing, just not worded well!

Pearson confirmed Vyner’s city future was in doubt 12-14 months ago. It really is an amazing turnaround 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think he adds energy , press and ball winning and will get further up the park. If we agree there is one infront of the back four, we need a variation IMO and Knight would ( or will) give that. Saw a few glimpses Saturday and as he grows into the team I think he'll be a real asset .

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, HOZDA said:

No, no sorry I wasn't criticising your post at all. I'd absolutely love our captain to be an academy product who has been written off by many. Vyner's a top man.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Nige sounds a bit miffed that Tommy went early with news of his injury.

I thought that too. ‘Bit miffed’ …. a little understated. Bloody angry, more accurate. 

Not quite sure what Tommy was doing tbh. Don’t think our protocol is any different to anyone else’s. Club’s virtually exclusively announce injury news/updates, not players. Assume that’s what Scott’s ‘zip’ response was about. 

Detect a little bit of restlessness around at the moment with a few players given a couple of things that Nige has mentioned. Nothing that a good win and dominant performance tonight won’t sort though, I’m sure. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Pearson confirmed Vyner’s city future was in doubt 12-14 months ago. It really is an amazing turnaround 

Yeah some posters like to use him as an example.of OTIB being too critical, but Vyner was genuinely sub-par for a season, then genuinely flawless the next. 

He seems a nice chilled guy so would be great to have him as a long term skipper if he keeps the form going and signs a deal.

BTW... Come on City!!!